November 5th, 2008

Obama likely to stay out of view Wednesday

He's headed out of sight for a little while.
He's headed out of sight for a little while.

(CNN) - After a nearly two-year campaign for the White House, Barack Obama is likely to spend his first day as president-elect out of view from the public.

He will not hold a press conference, campaign aides told CNN, though he is expected to hold one by the end of the week. Obama had joked with reporters earlier this week he would talk to them on Wednesday, though aides quickly said that was not likely.

Instead, Obama will meet with key advisors and begin making decisions about his transition team, including who will serve as his White House chief of staff. Reports say Obama is close to naming Illinois Rep. Rahm Emanuel to that post, but that has not been confirmed.

UPDATE: According to the pool report, Obama appears to be staying away from cameras. A scheduled photo-op with his family did not happen, and the president-elect did not take his daughters to school, as Obama aides had suggested he would.

He was spotted making a trip to the gym, and he briefly waved to reporters as his car went by.

1. Mark, Blue in a Red State

Tap the break people. Yes it is great that the party changes and we as a country were able to elect our first black president. That's great. Now the real challenge begins to overcome our fat, bloated, bought and paid for by lobbies, government. I wish our new President well.

Just for the record, nothing ever goes as planned and no recent president has really been able to enact true change – the established money won't allow it. So when you are done sipping your champagne and appointing all your positions, It would be nice to see some real "change for the better" and not just watch another hollow politician swallowed whole by the system.

November 5, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  2. Robin Williams (Florida registered voter)

America has vindicated you. God speed.

November 5, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  3. Razor40

I am disappointed there were not more independent votes. I do not understand why the people in this country do not demand something better from the politcal system. Voting as though there are only two choices shows an extreme lack of creativity and fear. We've become like catttle. Whatever we're told to do we will do. We simply fall in line to one socialist regime or the other. Will this nation ever show guts again? 1980 was the last time enough people stood for their principles. ...I was too young to experience that as a voter. .....I wonder if I ever will.

November 5, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  4. Georgia

The people have spoken, but I am not sure we can call this a victory over racism, when so many people voted for Obama specifically based on the color of his skin. Martin Luther King's dream was not, per se, that a part African-American would be elected president, but that people would be judged strictly on the content of their minds, not their skin color. Certainly Obama has a powerful mind, and that is good, but I am not sure that all the talk of a triumph over racism is really the case. Also consider that for years African-Americans have served in Congress and the Senate, as state governors, on the Supreme Court. I voted for people of all skin colors on my ballot, basing my decisions on their policies.

November 5, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  5. Carolinagirl

First of all I would like to say President Obama needs some down time.... so let him have his time with his family.

Secondly, I would like to say to all the McCain/Palin supporters that it is time to unite and stop trying to divide us. Obama won fair and square and we all have to work together for better good of this country. We gave Bush two terms in the office to make a difference and look where we are now. So stop hating on Obama and let's make a difference together!!

Obama-Biden 08/12

November 5, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  6. lil

Congratulation President Elect Obama and family.

November 5, 2008 09:50 am at 9:50 am |
  7. Jay

We got our country back yesterday. The American Taliban can climb back in its hole with the knowledge that its agenda pushed our society to the brink of irrelevance or worse. Thanks for your time, neo-cons – now get out of the way while we clean up your mess.

Great job, USA!

8. Paul

Greg,

"By all the campaigning from the leftist media"

Sorry, buddy. Divisive comments like that will begin to drown out over the next 4 years and eventually just become a wimper. Sure, you'll still have your talk shows and get your quips in. But overall, America is done with your negativity.

McCain's biggest mistake in this election process, and I can't believe I haven't heard this on any form of media, is he didn't focus on the independent voter. Greg, I am an independent voter and your type of comment is a small reason why I voted for Obama. Independent voters are tired of blind party loyalties and really sick of the extremist right wingers who name call, lie, and blame others for their shortcomings.

9. No wahala for Obama

Rest President Obama we are watching and waiting, we have trusted you with our votes, this maybe a long rest in maybe days,months and years to come. This may will be the best thanksgiving in America since after 9/11. Families and friends, those we choose to disagree with to say, finely Hope and Change have come and there is going to be some light at the end of the tunnel.

10. APS in Hawaii

The news media crossed the line in outright lies and their bias for Obama. I am a moderate Democrat, however, I am appalled by the press and how the party was hijacked by the left elitists. The attacks on women , Hillary and Sarah, were atrocious. You asked stupid questions about them and never asked serious questions to Obama.

This is my last post here as I will never trust CNN again. Your moderator is so biased that there is never any discussions or alternate views. Statistically it is impossible to have so many Obama supporter comments with in every topic very little opposing views unless the moderator is blocking views.

Best wishes and God Bless to all. I will pray for the party of the people returning to the center, has the left just is plan scary.

11. Joe V

Today America rejoins the community of nations. Freedom-loving people around the world stand ready to follow America's lead under President Obama.

12. KRISTIE

I am so proud today of all americans ...the right choice has been made !!!! Maybe we have a chance of all coming together and standing as one ....for it is at that time we will be united ...people forget it is us who hate ..it is us who fight wars ..it starts with us all and ends with us all......I am proud today that my daughter got to see history in the making ...she was just as excited to see such a powerful moment !!!!! Now maybe just maybe we can see some CHANGE that this country so needs !!!!!!!

13. christina

Just stay safe Mr. President. We are counting on you and Mr. Biden.

14. Craig in Washington

Obama should take a week off to rest he earned it. Great victory that proves democracy still exists in this country.

And please tell Greg that the media didn't elect Obama. The people did. And did he notice that BOTH candidates campaigned against Bush?

And tell Debbie that Al Qaeda endorsed McCain, not Obama. The terrorists are just as sore losers as she is!

15. Shona

As a Canadian, I am so proud of the U.S.A right now. You did it, you showed the world that democracy works and is still alive. You, as a people have elected a great man, and it is is real...I can't tell you how frightened many of us Candians were to think that Palin was one seat away from the most powerful office in the world.

16. Bob

In 2000 and 2004 we had concession speeches that were aimed at bringing the country together under one President, and we had victory speeches that were self-congratulatory. It was the role of the Democrats who lost to remind their supporters to rally behind the new President for the good of the country. That didn't change last night. What DID change was that the victory speech was less about "ain't it great we won and got ourselves a mandate" and more about uniting the country, restoring the confidence and glory of this great nation, and about setting a tone of hope, determination, and grit to make America better for all.

I do believe this country is on the path to becoming truly great, truly respected, and truly a leader of nations once again.

17. Kimether

President-Elect Obama deserves a much needed nap, at least! Plus, he probably needs to help with coordinating his grandmother's funeral, which will most likely be this week too. It is a shame she could not be here to see November 4th, but I'm sure she knew what was soon to happen. I am a prouder American today!

18. Horace, Miami, Fl

For Greg:
    It's sad that after this election you are still bitter. As young children, we were taught to be good sports and to take the good with the bad, to take a loss as well as a win. No matter who you supported, no matter what you thought about the policies each candidate was touting, we are all Americans and must get behind President-elect Barack Obama to take this country to the great heights where it belongs. No more time for in-fighting, bickering, backbiting and backstabbing. No more time for partisanship. No more time for red and blue America. It's time for the United States of America!

19. nerakami

I do hope that McCain supporters get it and get it real quick.
    It was not so much Obama's policies that America voted for but much more so, for the uniting and togetherness of our country, our people and the rest of the world.

Please stop for a moment and absorb the beauty and overwhelming power in such a desire...

20. Karen -WYoming

Finally – we can say "I'm proud to be an American" with REAL feeling and meaning behind it.

Oh gawd if he puts T. Boone Pickens in energy, Warren Buffett in economy, and Colin Powell in State what a brain trust! We CAN do it!

No matter how good or bad you think Kennedy was, he made us feel united, working towards laudable goals, and PROUD for the right reasons.

November 5, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  21. Super D

I am so concerned right now. Obama is going to have so many people, especially the radical left, holding out their hands for their payback.

I'm still a tad in shock, for goodness sakes, we just elected a man we do not know at all.

So going forward, the answer to all our problems is going to be a HUGE, intrusive federal government? That's what a majority of Americans think can fix this country?

I am down on the American voter, Obama was a made for TV, rock star type candidate, and millions of Americans who voted against him saw this very clearly. He is and was an empty suit behind a teleprompter, nothing more.

Ohh man, it's going to get bad from here on out, with no relief in sight.

November 5, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  22. Bridgette-PA

"Greg" and any other OBAMA/BIDEN haters- Call it what you will. However, America showed last night that people like you, can not win. Everyone fought hard and never gave up. We are a "UNITED AMERICA" and that's the way it should be. Before you continue to make a fool of yourself, look at the exit polls. Look and see how everyone, from all races, age groups, and religion stood up for OBAMA/BIDEN. You are not welcome here. You can take your divisiveness and leave earth. Your McFailin' ticket felt the same way and that's why OBAMA stumped them in the end. GET OVER IT DUDE! YES WE CAN!

November 5, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  23. James L.

I'M GLAD TO SEE THAT THE INTELLIGENT PEOPLE GOT OUT TO VOTE THIS TIME, UNLIKE THE LAST PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION. AND WOULD LIKE LIKE TO CONGRATULATE BARACK HUSSEIN OBAMA ON HIS VICTORY AND WELCOME HIM INTO THE WHITE HOUSE. AND TO GEORGE W. BUSH I SAY "DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN THE BUTT ON THE WAY OUT!"

November 5, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  24. Irma in North Carolina

I am so glad and so proud that Obama won the election. Now I know that I can go to sleep and night and not have to worry. God bless the Obamas and Bidens and may god keep watch over you. I also thought that Mccain gave a very good speech, the best one he ever gave.

November 5, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  25. Pointed Revelations

God Bless Barack Obama and Joe Biden!

The reign of the Neocons (and McCain is one) has ended!

November 5, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |