November 5th, 2008

Obama likely to stay out of view Wednesday

He's headed out of sight for a little while.
He's headed out of sight for a little while.

(CNN) - After a nearly two-year campaign for the White House, Barack Obama is likely to spend his first day as president-elect out of view from the public.

He will not hold a press conference, campaign aides told CNN, though he is expected to hold one by the end of the week. Obama had joked with reporters earlier this week he would talk to them on Wednesday, though aides quickly said that was not likely.

Instead, Obama will meet with key advisors and begin making decisions about his transition team, including who will serve as his White House chief of staff. Reports say Obama is close to naming Illinois Rep. Rahm Emanuel to that post, but that has not been confirmed.

UPDATE: According to the pool report, Obama appears to be staying away from cameras. A scheduled photo-op with his family did not happen, and the president-elect did not take his daughters to school, as Obama aides had suggested he would.

He was spotted making a trip to the gym, and he briefly waved to reporters as his car went by.

1. tina

I got up this morning and told my children that last night set a new standard in America... "You can be what ever you want in life..the sky is the limit". We as americans need to come together as one. Support one another, and bring patriotism back as we did on 9/11

November 5, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  2. LBP

The American people did not elect the first Black president, we elected Barack Obama to be the 44th president of the United States who also happens to be the first African American to hold that office. If we truly aspire to "post-racial" political discourse, let's start today. I am proud to be an African American, but most of all I am proud to be American.

November 5, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  3. NOVA Mike

To "Welcome to the Obama Show":

Notice to you and all those like you who spew hateful lies: The people have spoken, and spreading lies and playing on fear is not a winning game anymore – rising to issues and moving in a positive direction is the new playbook.

And as far as "not being educated" is concerned, take a look at the demographics and locations where Obama was strongly supported and even someone of your intellect might be able to figure out which candidate the more educated voters supported.

God bless the Obama's! A new day has dawned!

November 5, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  4. Virginia

Can we make this permanent?

November 5, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  5. Bob

Yes, he should be grieving his Grandmother and possibly attending services for her.

Just curious though, the taxpayers of this country were cheated out of countless hours of work while this 2 year campaign ran on by Barack, Hillary, and Mr McCain. Do you think we will get a better attendance record now that he is the Prez ?

November 5, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  6. Fred-1911

I am somewhat conflicted today. I voted McCain because of conserative values but I am extremly happy that Obama won and is the first black President. I really hope the country can come together and put race behind us. I stood behind Bush when everyone hated him and I will now stand with Obama as he is my President! I just hope he leaves my guns alone! :)

November 5, 2008 09:52 am at 9:52 am |
  7. Hanna in Texas

I am so proud to be an American! God Bless Obama and our country!

November 5, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  8. Katie From MN

What a great moment to be an American. I am so proud of everyone who voted for Obama & Biden. This country definitely needed change & Obama is the one who will do it well. Thanks everyone who voted Obama for President.

November 5, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  9. JMac

Mr. Obama: as in basketball, and most other sports, " follow-through " means the difference between success and "almost". You now have the opportunity, the support, and apparently the talent to lead our nation back to a respectful identify among the nations of the world. Be true to what you have promised, work with everyone who shares an honest desire to once again make our society one which the world admires and respects. Best to you. JMac.

November 5, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  10. all american mom

How sad that when I started reading the comments this morning, starting at the top....I knew who GREG was!! And where is NOAH???
    Now you all know how WE felt 4 years ago!! In the words of Mikey on the Life cereal commercial..."Try it, you'll like it!".

You can't ALWAYS win, You can't ALWAYS be the mother, and you can't ALWAYS have the ball. Thats why we call it AMERICA!!!

God bless us, EVERYONE!!! (even Greg and Noah...because I'm above all that!!!)

November 5, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  11. Auretta

It is about time that we have someone in the white house that is for the people not against the people. This was such a VICTORY, and a day that will go down in history!!!!!! Many have prayed for this day to come and it is finally here!!! And it could not have been better!!!! THANK YOU ALL WHO VOTED FOR OBAMA!!! Now we will finally see the changes that we are entitled to since Clinton left office........

November 5, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  12. That Other Jerry

Heartfelt congrats from a McCain supporter. Obama fought a hard campaign against a worthy opponent, and won fair and square. He is now in the same place in history as Nelson Mandela. I genuinely hope, in all sincerity, that like Mandela he is able to live up to the moment. This country has had enough of failed dreams and empty rhetoric. If, four years from now, President Obama has been successful and has lived up to the trust that has been placed in him, I will most certainly be willing to consider casting my vote for his reelection.

November 5, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  13. Monica

This is indeed a great day that ALL the world should celebrate. Great things are on the rise for everyone. This is not politics as usual. All the little voices can be heard finally. Keep GOOD thoughts ALWAYS!!

November 5, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  14. Mohamed Farid, Egypt

I am proud of you ... you are a great nation

November 5, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  15. sky

I had this horrible dream. I dreamt that our country had fallen from grace; that other countries despised us; that our structures were failing and our peoples were disheartened. It was a horrible dream and I kept trying to wake up but I couldnt. It was as if I were drugged and I struggled and struggled . This morning I woke up....from my long long sleep....I woke up to a new morning with a brand new promise and I left the nightmare behind.

November 5, 2008 09:53 am at 9:53 am |
  16. Laurie

I have to agree with Andy. I was scared 8 years ago when Bush beat Gore. I was afraid of what would happen....seems I was right.

The election of BHO scares me far, far worse than Bush's election ever did!. At this point, all I can do is pray...

November 5, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  17. Dee

I'm still in shock.

November 5, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  18. DONALD BOYD

America has truly entered the 21st. century with the results of Nov 4. A global society with the leaders in majority being of color the idea of America being a bully are over and discussions can proceed in collective understanding. Now America need to recognize that people age and with that comes health problems and the lack of progressive income. But the older citizen as myself have paid into the growth the nation has and should be considered.
    However, I feel that youth does not see the forest with a population of elderly is their fate one day at a time.

November 5, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  19. freeta VA

Congratulations to you Barack for making us all
    Africans proud !! What a joy !! What a joy

November 5, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  20. Tony in Boston

i am truly proud to be an american for one of the first times in my life. we can finally now say our system works and that the american dream is possible for all citizens of the united states of america!!

November 5, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  21. Proud American

Maybe he also needs a little time to mourn his grandmother – the person who raised him and helped him become the successful president-elect he is today.

November 5, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  22. Becky, Texas

It's sad that so many extreme republican are so bitter. Its time for us to unite together and support our soon to be president. Even McCain has asked us to do that. I believe in Obama and I hope that Democrats and Republicans can come together and be divided no longer.

History has been made, and I hope all people can at least respect that.

Congratulations Obama!

November 5, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  23. leslie

What a momentous occasion. As I watched with my daughter and mother I felt proud to be an American in a time where this was possible. Our children will remember this night for the rest of their lives

November 5, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  24. SB in NoVa

to Karen in Arkansas:

YES!! The sun is shining A LOT brighter her in BLUE Virginia!!! It's like Xmas in November!

WAHOOOOOO!

VA IS BLUE!!!!!

November 5, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |
  25. kelly williams

I hope he sleeps. Think of how tired we are from being up all night!
    He's been at this non-stop for two years.

November 5, 2008 09:54 am at 9:54 am |