November 5th, 2008

Obama likely to stay out of view Wednesday

He's headed out of sight for a little while.
He's headed out of sight for a little while.

(CNN) - After a nearly two-year campaign for the White House, Barack Obama is likely to spend his first day as president-elect out of view from the public.

He will not hold a press conference, campaign aides told CNN, though he is expected to hold one by the end of the week. Obama had joked with reporters earlier this week he would talk to them on Wednesday, though aides quickly said that was not likely.

Instead, Obama will meet with key advisors and begin making decisions about his transition team, including who will serve as his White House chief of staff. Reports say Obama is close to naming Illinois Rep. Rahm Emanuel to that post, but that has not been confirmed.

UPDATE: According to the pool report, Obama appears to be staying away from cameras. A scheduled photo-op with his family did not happen, and the president-elect did not take his daughters to school, as Obama aides had suggested he would.

He was spotted making a trip to the gym, and he briefly waved to reporters as his car went by.

1. Karen

"Real" America has been heard

2. Drake

Greg: How did McCain lose?
    By not enough campaigning from the rightist media!

3. Diane

I'm going through campaign withdrawal. The victory of Obama is the tonic I need to feel better. Ahhhh!!!

God bless you President elect Obama! You and Joe have a lot to do!

4. doug

I thanked God gave the President Obama spritifully for us and Time is change for us to clean up

5. Loops

Congrats America! You picked a great leader.

6. Phil, Ashburn, VA

The hate mongers are still talking. It's time to shut up and go on with your life.

7. indepentent08 for obama/biden

It's not longer: Yes We Can.

It's know: YES WE DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To all of the mccain /palin supporters: get use to this phase:

Mr President!!!!

OBAMA

8. Ray

I hope he will be able to take time to rest and moe importantly grieve not that he has a window to breath.

9. Heleva

President elect Obama is our president & he’s got me dancing like Snoopy. I’m so elated!!!

10. Sue

I hope that those of you who are quick to make negative statements about the election learn from Palin's mistakes – most of America does not want our country divided. We want to come together as Americans and work together to bring peace, stability, and prosperity back to the United States and to our world.

I beg those of you who are already trying to undermine Obama to give him a chance. If he shows any signs of corruption or gives any reason for us to fear him, then you can bet that you will have millions of us joining with you in protest. However, for now, join with us in celebrating a new day in America – a day in which anything is possible and in which loving your country means wanting to make it better, not just keeping the status quo. America has given in to greed and isolationism, and has lost so much ground internationally, yet I believe that we can rebuild our status and our relationships and lead the world toward a brighter future.

Work with us...black, white, yellow, red, brown, old, young, women, men...work with us to provide a brighter future for our children. United we stand, divided we fall.

11. Lori

OH YES WE DID!!!!!

12. Texas Voter

Barack Obama OUR the next PRESIDENT and that's that. Enough said. May God bless him and his family

13. Independent in Ohio

I have never been more proud or had more hope in my country ever!!!!
    All of your hate mongerers need to go away and quit spreading more hate. You were out numbered. The rest of us want change!!!!!!

Ohio went BLUE!!!! WOO WHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Danny Acosta

A new beginning is upon us.

As a Puerto Rican who is first generation in the America, I'm so proud that our country has chosen the right person for the job. Let there be no mistake that this is not because he is African-American, but because he has what it takes to bring the change we need in Washington and throughout our great nation.

New doors are opening for all races and cultures. New doors are opening for building a stronger economy, for ending our wars abroad, for ending this housing crisis, and for ending the notion that because of the color of your skin some opportunities may not exist.

This is what one man, with one campaign, and with all people, has been able to accomplish. I support our new president-elect, and look forward to a brand new beginning.

15. Steamboat

Glad to see all the negative, false accusations did not work for the republican party (on state or national levels). Today grants a well deserved rest after a grueling schedule for his campaign. Congrats Obama, and please don't forget the people who got you elected.

16. MiddleWay

I'm a white woman and I keep crying... I am so happy for our country and so proud of how far we've come. There's still plenty of work to do both on racism and on our country's economic and defense problems, but hallelujah. This is an amazing day.

17. Frank

It's really sad to see that people still can't seem to put their indifferences aside and give him a chance to prove his worth as president. He's even trying to work with his own opponent to drive towards a mutual goal that we all share in bringing this country back to a prosperous status. I don't think that people take into accountability that he graduated from Harvard Law School. McCain's planned intentions was to recruit retired military officers, bureaucrats, the president of the World Bank and even an ex-CEO of eBay. Might I remind you that CEOs and financial institutions played a major role in why this economy became so bad in the first place. Republicans have had more than enough time to prove their worth and even though they'll still have a say in determining government policies, I think they may have become too comfortable in dominating the House and the Senate. Prejudice and stereotyping only tears this country apart. I wish people would realize that we're all suffering the hardships of this nation regardless of our wealth or racial indifferences.

18. Jeff

Good....please stay out of view. We don't want to see you!

19. vanessa

Clearly, there are those who believe the toxic spin that they have become accustomed to...but I have faith that after they watch our new President perform with grace, prudence and fairness, they will relax.

This man is a well-reasoned and careful man, not an ideologue to be feared. Hope triumphed over fear last night, and I, for one, am thrilled.

I am proud to be an American, and I am proud of my fellow citizens. For those who did not vote for Barack Obama, please, give him a chance. We have suffered through eight years of Bush, let us try a new approach. You might just be surprised, and delighted.

20. Charlie Bradley

This is the beginning of a New Day in America. The best man for the job got the job. I pray for our country to make this new transition as smoothly as possible.

21. nate

Anyone who calls those who voted for Obama "uneducated" relative to those who voted for McCain doesn't really deserve to own a computer. Come on now folks.

22. Chips

Do what need to be done President Obama.

I thank the American people who had the common sense to election the best qualified candidate, for president and vice President to lead our great country.

I allowed my 10 year old grand daughter to push the button for Barack Obama and Joe Biden. I gave her 1/2 of my vote so she could really be a part of this historic moment. She was thrill to push that button at 6:15am.

God Bless American.

23. Messie

I am so proud of our young people. Especially our young "white" people who went out and voted for a man not based on the color of his skin but on the content of his character and his abilities. With this, I believe and I pray that America is changing. I have hope for our future leaders.

This was a great day in history. The polls say that he received 43% of the white vote...43 percent. He has a tough road ahead of him and I pray that our expectations are not unrealistic. He will bring change, but as he stated in his speach last night–it may not happen in one term. He will definitely bring a shift in the paradigm as we know it. But, a solid shift that will impact not only our generation but generations to come means we need to be looking at Obama for 2012. This is a proud moment in our history.

Lets rejoice in the victory, but not forget that the struggle has just begun.

24. charles lewis

Job well! good luck and get some rest. long road head. it make me feel to be an American

25. Robin Landseadel

Greg "How did Obama win?
    By all the campaigning from the leftist media."

Reality has a leftist skew, Greg.

Obama won-Greg-because the United States of America is sick onto death of the division that the right-wing drag on this country has sustained for centuries. It's over Greg, now go away.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19