November 5th, 2008

Little rest for Obama, analysts say

ALT TEXT

Barack Obama will have to immediately begin assembling administration, analysts say.(Getty Images)

(CNN) – Barack Obama will likely begin assembling his administration almost immediately, and cannot afford the so-called honeymoon some president-elects have enjoyed in the past, CNN analysts say.

With the nation's economy in continued turmoil, and an electorate that is overwhelmingly calling for change, the president-elect will have little time to rest over the next 2 1/2 months before he is officially sworn in.

"This is something that the Obama campaign is working on now for many months," CNN Senior Political Analyst Gloria Borger said. "Obama himself got very involved in this after the Democratic convention, I'm told."

Likely to take immediate priority is the naming of a White House chief of staff, who will help shepherd the transition. Potential names tossed around for that post include the former Clinton aide and Illinois Rep. Rahm Emanuel and former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle.

Watch: Obama makes history

Obama will also move quickly to put in place an economic security team, and has already held high-profile meetings with several economic advisers.

"I think people are encouraged by the kinds of people he's had around him and the names circulating for Treasury," CNN Senior Political Analyst David Gergen said.

One such name is Tim Geithner, the 47-year-old chairman of the New York Federal Reserve. Other names being discussed include former Treasury Secretary Larry Summers and Paul Volker, the former Fed Chairman under Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan.

"For the first time I can remember, the secretary of the treasury is going to be almost as important as the secretary of state," said Gergen, a former adviser to several presidents.

Obama will also want to communicate immediately that he is ready to assume the duties of commander-in-chief, and avoid initial mistakes Bill Clinton made during his transition process.

"He doesn't want to appear like he's not ready for prime time," CNN's Roland Martin said. "A lot of criticisms of Clinton was that he had too many young people around him who weren't experienced in Washington. Obama, who's extremely methodical, very deliberate, wants to bring it across, "I am an absolute leader, I am in charge."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Extra
  1. Selvam

Congratulations Mr.President Obama!
    The whole world is very excited and proud of you!

From Malaysia

November 5, 2008 02:51 am at 2:51 am |
  2. Geoff Smith

I'm from Australia and I have to say that I'm (including many many of my friends and family) are excited that the world now has a new kind of leader. Barack represents a shift in 'thought' globally that humanity must ask better questions if we're to save ourselves.

Congratulations America – a great decision!

November 5, 2008 02:51 am at 2:51 am |
  3. HOSSAIN

THANK YOU,GOD BIESS AND LONG LIVE PRISIDENT OBAMA

November 5, 2008 02:51 am at 2:51 am |
  4. Nika

I am truly overjoyed at the news that Obama won tonight. I just wish my grandparents could be here to see it. America has come a long way. Obama and Biden does not equal Osama Bin Laden and I resent that stupid comment that was made. Ignorance still lives, but will not prevail. The American majority has spoken. It's time for us to come together. I just pray that McCain's supporters will come to terms with this and accept him as our President . God bless America, and our new President.

November 5, 2008 02:51 am at 2:51 am |
  5. Harry in France

I am thrilled.Watched the whole election which has cost me a lot of sleep. But it was worth it.

November 5, 2008 02:52 am at 2:52 am |
  6. Yes, We Did!

Tyler Pham: Wow....you're a genius! I'm sure any minute now Barack and Joe will pull their faces off and reveal themselves to be none other than Osama and Saddam!

November 5, 2008 02:53 am at 2:53 am |
  7. Shadowlands

And so it begins...the dark days of America's descent into irrelevance and totalitarianism...How long before conservatives are jailed for thought crimes?

Obama supporters: you've got your wish. Are you ready to be disappointed? Are you ready to confess you were wrong if things get worse? Will you admit your mistake, or find some way to blame it on conservatives?

You've got the media, majorities in both house and senate, and you have the White House...If America falls, or if things become worse, who will be at fault? Or will you find a scapegoat in conservatives, as Hitler did with the Jews?

You've no idea what you've done.

God have mercy on us all

November 5, 2008 02:53 am at 2:53 am |
  8. John - Newport, MI

God Bless you President – Elect Obama. I feel like won the election. What a exciting day for America and all of her citizens, we have a unique opportunity ahead of us for our children and grandchildren.

I tell everyone our time is now, but we must work together to achieve our goals.

November 5, 2008 02:54 am at 2:54 am |
  9. Hope For Change

Just got back from rally in Chicago. There are no words to describe it. Hundreds of thousands of people – white, black, young, old – came together, embracing one another as we watched this truly historic event take place. I have never been so proud of my fellow citizens, and I have never been so hopeful for the future. Congratulations Senator...I mean President Obama. We did it.

Yes we did, and yes we will.

November 5, 2008 02:54 am at 2:54 am |
  10. Deki

Finally the label "Get stupid" is taken off America.

November 5, 2008 02:54 am at 2:54 am |
  11. JimInTenn

Where WERE YOU on this historic day, 11/4/08? Obama's speech in Chicago tonight was very Presidential. He's very ready to govern.

I am so very proud and happy for the Obama and Biden families, and I am very thankful for being in this great land we call America.

I think voters made a wise decision, and I am just glad to be part of it.

November 5, 2008 02:54 am at 2:54 am |
  12. Sarah

Are we ready for a black president? I think we must be, must be much more ready for a black president than a white woman in the white house. I am even saying that as a white woman.

November 5, 2008 02:54 am at 2:54 am |
  13. Greg

Tyler, you're an idiot.

November 5, 2008 02:54 am at 2:54 am |
  14. Brendose, Oceanside CA

All I got to say is:

Nah Nah.......Nah Nah Nah Nah.....waaaaave good bye!

Go back to Alaska Caribou Barbie!

First thing he should do is impeach Bush and Cheney!

Then, he should throw Ted Stevens and Palin away!

Tell McCain......it's time to retire, old buddy. Take a seat!

November 5, 2008 02:55 am at 2:55 am |
  15. Jen from New Zeeland

Congratulations to my American brothers and sisters on the history that you made tonight. You have the type of leader that comes around once in this liftetime, you guys are lucky to have him in your midst. Take good care of him and we hope to see him when he visits our country. Once again congratulations, well done!

November 5, 2008 02:55 am at 2:55 am |
  16. obina

YES WE CAN, YES WE DID. Ever heard of a redeemer? Well Barak is one, and they come one in decades if not centuries. Remember, it has taken 200 years for this alone. Congratulations President-elect, congratulations America. Indeed GOD BLESS AMERICA

November 5, 2008 02:55 am at 2:55 am |
  17. Jimmy VdP , Belgium,Europe

Mr Obama, THANK YOU , GOOD LUCK, and hopefully your charisma will inspire people all over the world to CHANGE !!!

November 5, 2008 02:56 am at 2:56 am |
  18. Mr Jones

One good thing about Obama is he is black. That is a good thing for this country! Other than that he is a low down socialist. Now he can give his supporters what they want....other peoples money!

November 5, 2008 02:56 am at 2:56 am |
  19. sharon gott

Congradulations, We knew you could do it, thank you for representing the african american people in a proud and dignitfy manner you are truly and inspiration to the younger generation, you stood fast and got the victory now the real work begins. God has ordain you for this and his blessings is upon you.

May god bless you and your family

November 5, 2008 02:56 am at 2:56 am |
  20. Greg

For the first time in my adult life, I am NOT happy to be an American.

November 5, 2008 02:57 am at 2:57 am |
  21. April in Texas

I have hope again that had disappeared with Bush.. It will be hard work but we will still work to make america thrive and prosper once again..

President Obama/ Vice President Biden