November 5th, 2008

Little rest for Obama, analysts say

ALT TEXT

Barack Obama will have to immediately begin assembling administration, analysts say.(Getty Images)

(CNN) – Barack Obama will likely begin assembling his administration almost immediately, and cannot afford the so-called honeymoon some president-elects have enjoyed in the past, CNN analysts say.

With the nation's economy in continued turmoil, and an electorate that is overwhelmingly calling for change, the president-elect will have little time to rest over the next 2 1/2 months before he is officially sworn in.

"This is something that the Obama campaign is working on now for many months," CNN Senior Political Analyst Gloria Borger said. "Obama himself got very involved in this after the Democratic convention, I'm told."

Likely to take immediate priority is the naming of a White House chief of staff, who will help shepherd the transition. Potential names tossed around for that post include the former Clinton aide and Illinois Rep. Rahm Emanuel and former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle.

Watch: Obama makes history

Obama will also move quickly to put in place an economic security team, and has already held high-profile meetings with several economic advisers.

"I think people are encouraged by the kinds of people he's had around him and the names circulating for Treasury," CNN Senior Political Analyst David Gergen said.

One such name is Tim Geithner, the 47-year-old chairman of the New York Federal Reserve. Other names being discussed include former Treasury Secretary Larry Summers and Paul Volker, the former Fed Chairman under Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan.

"For the first time I can remember, the secretary of the treasury is going to be almost as important as the secretary of state," said Gergen, a former adviser to several presidents.

Obama will also want to communicate immediately that he is ready to assume the duties of commander-in-chief, and avoid initial mistakes Bill Clinton made during his transition process.

"He doesn't want to appear like he's not ready for prime time," CNN's Roland Martin said. "A lot of criticisms of Clinton was that he had too many young people around him who weren't experienced in Washington. Obama, who's extremely methodical, very deliberate, wants to bring it across, "I am an absolute leader, I am in charge."

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama • Extra
  1. Kona

Thank you God for this opportunity for our country. Please bless our president, his family, and our country, as we look to evolve into the great dream that is America. For this step tonight we are eternally grateful.

Yes we can!

November 5, 2008 02:44 am at 2:44 am |
  2. SC

What a smart man! America gets itself a great president. Started thinking about those cabinet positions right after the Democratic Convention. It's not being cocky as a lot of those Republican might think. In fact, it's being thoughtful and smart.

November 5, 2008 02:44 am at 2:44 am |
  3. Jason

Overwhelming response not only in the Presidential election but also in Senate and House elections.

Why did Michelle wear a dress that made her look like like a Black Widow spider?

November 5, 2008 02:44 am at 2:44 am |
  4. Big Tent

Independents and Republicans, welcome to the Big Tent, not just the Democratic Party, but OUR COUNTRY!

November 5, 2008 02:44 am at 2:44 am |
  5. jon stern

is she pregnant ?

November 5, 2008 02:44 am at 2:44 am |
  6. Buck

I knew we had it in us!!!

November 5, 2008 02:45 am at 2:45 am |
  7. Greg

hahaha, George Bush IS the republican party destroyer. Actually, he's more of a nation destroyer as a whole. But he definitely destroyed the Republican party.

November 5, 2008 02:45 am at 2:45 am |
  8. JZ

Hispanics for OBAMA!!!

November 5, 2008 02:45 am at 2:45 am |
  9. Buck

I knew we had it i us!!!

November 5, 2008 02:45 am at 2:45 am |
  10. Joe

Tyler, grow a brain.

Oh I see "Tyler Pham = yer ham". Zomg, r u really? Must be a message!

November 5, 2008 02:46 am at 2:46 am |
  11. Greg

The best news to come out of the USA in my lifetime. Thank goodness for the youth and female vote.

From an interested 50+ Aussie

November 5, 2008 02:47 am at 2:47 am |
  12. kazi

thank you Iowa for supporting Our president !! plz fix our Michigan>> its a big mess....united we stand !!

November 5, 2008 02:47 am at 2:47 am |
  13. Former Republican ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You know, I really wish the media and everybody else would get this right.... Barack Obama will be the first BI-RACIAL President.

November 5, 2008 02:47 am at 2:47 am |
  14. Robin

We all saw how he handled this incredibly tough campaign, with amazing strength and dignity and he NEVER let anyone drag him down into the muck. He's proven if anyone can clean up this mess he can. He is a true statesmen that will restore our place in the world and be a leader we can all be proud of. I am so thankful that he is here, and I am so proud of all of us for electing him! Yes we did!

November 5, 2008 02:47 am at 2:47 am |
  15. Crispus

"cynical and doubt based" politics that reduces America cultural warfare hopefully is dead. As a educated black person, I have had to deal with the people who cynical people who doubt my ability. I am inspired by the promise of America in a way I have never been before.

November 5, 2008 02:47 am at 2:47 am |
  16. Anna

I am so proud to have voted for Barack Obama. He is an inspiration for everyone in our country and around the world. I hope he takes a couple well-deserved days off to relax and regroup. I LOVE YOU BARACK!

November 5, 2008 02:47 am at 2:47 am |
  17. No more bailouts

"I hope and pray Michigan will finally get some help."

Yes, with our taxpayer dollars....Michigan will continue to make cars nobody wants for the next 10 years.

November 5, 2008 02:47 am at 2:47 am |
  18. wewillsee

The job of the Presidency is a very challenging and demanding one, and Barack Obama will soon find this out. I am sure he is as up to the job as any of the presidents past have been. For this, I believe he will give us his best. One thing I am curious of is this: will the people be as direct in coming out to criticize him so quickly as they were with others? I doubt it, but we will see. I feel that people will be reserved, almost afraid to do so for fear of being thought of as racist. I hope this isn't the case. We will see what happens the first year of his presidency. Best of luck to all elected.

November 5, 2008 02:48 am at 2:48 am |
  19. Marina

I'm so proud of us for telling the world that we are ready for change.

November 5, 2008 02:48 am at 2:48 am |
  20. daking0000

One Nation, undivided and created equal! I noticed that many republicans have nothing to say now. With 338 votes and counting to over 350 hopefully now the country understands that race is not the issue. Republicans are not bad. Just McCain and his policies and ideals. He was another Bush plain and simple. And with all the hate many people saw right through this. I salute the real Americans, the ones who see us as One Nation, undivided and created equal!

November 5, 2008 02:49 am at 2:49 am |
  21. PeacefulDove63

CONGRATULATIONS PRESIDENT-ELECT OBAMA!

I didn't knock on doors, nor was I able to donate; but, I did, in fact, "campaign" for my two children (20 & 22 yrs.) to vote for you, and they did!!
    THAT was my contribution (along with my own vote, of course)!!

WE ARE READY to be ONE INDIVISIBLE NATION, UNIFIED in our future endeavors. YES WE CAN!

Thank you & God Bless you, Barack, for taking on the challenges of present-day America and leading these UNITED STATES into a future filled with HOPE.

A First-Time Voter at 45 years old!
    –Sherri in KDH, NC

November 5, 2008 02:49 am at 2:49 am |
  22. swanzetta

And who said that we couldn't do it....

November 5, 2008 02:49 am at 2:49 am |
  23. merry lee payne

I am registered Republican. After losing my job to a foreign country and seeing people lose their homes, some I know, which really cuts like a knife. We Americans work hard for everything we get. Sacrifice to survive. We have children we want to feed and have it better than our childhood. I know people working two to three jobs just to get buy. After reading Obama's campaign statement yesterday in the paper, I saw where he is going to go after the terrorists. I thought YEAH!!! this is my man. When I went to the poll, I thought this is the one I want to lead our country. Something must be done about other countries doing our work. People should take care of their own first, here at home, America..............

November 5, 2008 02:49 am at 2:49 am |
  24. Anonymous

Are we ready for an black president? I feel that we are, yes. Much more ready than we would be for a possible woman president.

November 5, 2008 02:50 am at 2:50 am |
  25. Annie

It's time to open our hearts and our minds and stop being ignorant...
    Yes we can, Obama did it for us and he will continue doing this for us; and for the post in regards to Bin Laden/Biden...take a little time to treat your ignorance...
    God Bless