November 5th, 2008

Obama transition team announced

Barack Obama and Joe Biden announced their transition team Wednesday.
Barack Obama and Joe Biden announced their transition team Wednesday.

(CNN) - Barack Obama and Joe Biden formally announced their transition team Wednesday, and named former Clinton chief of staff John Podesta, longtime Obama advisor Valerie Jarrett, and Pete Rouse, Obama's Senate chief of staff, to oversee the operation.

Full announcement after the jump

Chicago – For the past several months, a board of advisors has been informally planning for a possible presidential transition. Among the many projects undertaken by the transition board have been detailed analyses of previous transition efforts, policy statements made during the campaign, and the workings of federal government agencies, and priority positions that must be filled by the incoming administration.

With Barack Obama and Joe Biden's election, this planning process will be now be formally organized as the Obama-Biden Transition Project, a 501(c)(4) organization to ensure a smooth transition from one administration to the next. The work of this entity will be overseen by three co-chairs: John Podesta, Valerie Jarrett, and Pete Rouse.

The co-chairs will be assisted by an advisory board comprised of individuals with significant private and public sector experience: Carol Browner, William Daley, Christopher Edley, Michael Froman, Julius Genachowski, Donald Gips, Governor Janet Napolitano, Federico Peña, Susan Rice, Sonal Shah, Mark Gitenstein, and Ted Kaufman. Gitenstein and Kaufman will serve as co-chairs of Vice President-elect Biden's transition team.

Supervising the day-to-day activities of the transition will be:

Transition Senior Staff:

Phil Schiliro – Director of Congressional Relations

Michael Strautmanis – Director of Public Liaison and Intergovernmental Affairs

Katy Kale – Director of Operations

Brad Kiley – Director of Operations

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Enitan

Its a long awaited news, we have finally overcome, yes we can.

Best of luck to you in your new endeavour. We deserve the change, 8 year is too long, more damage to be undone by our new president.

November 5, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  2. Matt

Looks like the stock market did not vote for Obama. They are taking their money and running for the hills.

November 5, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  3. Glenn in California

Nice to see all the "love" being shared between the two factions. I don't think President-elect Obama would approve.

The GOP supporters need to get past the bitterness and realize that the overwhelming majority wanted change. Period.

That's history now. From here forward, "we" need to work together.

November 5, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  4. Truth Hurts

I hope President Obama, as a smoker, does something about the pathetic amount of funding for cancer research..might help him out some day. Or his kids or wife who might get it second hand.

How weak he must be mentally.

November 5, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  5. Krishna,

Let us await and evaluate the "Change" for this great nation and the "Change" messenger in four years !

November 5, 2008 04:56 pm at 4:56 pm |
  6. Jason

The American voters have proved they are little more than sheep that will follow the bleating call for change. What will change? We'll all have less of our hard-earned money. You can't give everything away without someone paying for it. Lazy, jobless people are dancing in the streets because they won't have to work for their handouts.
    I thought there were more reasonable hard-working Americans out there voting to protect what they have. I was wrong.
    I will not tolerate socialism. I am sad for America today, and I'm sure our founding fathers are rolling over in their graves...

November 5, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  7. Chad

Glad to see our next President is on top of things. The next 4 years may very well define the Country's destiny and I have faith that President Obama will turn America back in the correct direction.

November 5, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  8. What?

"Obama, a true american hero that hasn't abandoned his wife and/or country ever in his life!"
    -Red, Red, WHINE!

You mean like Bill Clinton?

November 5, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  9. Here In America (NY)

As an african, when I think of Obama, I don't see or think black.
    I see kindness, respect, thoughtfulness, a melting pot. I see an asian, an african and a caucasian.
    I see humanity. Period.
    Let african-americans be proud of this moment, none of us will ever realize or feel what they feel And if i can say that as an african – then silence should be only retreat as a non-blacks.

May God keep Obama and his family safe above all the futilities of this world.

November 5, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  10. ines

History was made last night. The countdown to change began today. I am very excited about our future.

November 5, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  11. Sir Nose

Jeez- Do you haters ever take a break? Obama won, he's your president. President Obama; get used to it.

Anyway, I'm glad to see that He's not wasting any time. I can't wait until he takes the reigns.

Good luck, Mr. President

November 5, 2008 04:57 pm at 4:57 pm |
  12. HammerDoc

I am glad that we have progressed socially to the point that we can elect a black man POTUS.

I just wish that it wasn't a man in favor of not only abortion, but infantacide, euthanasia and gun control. The man is against broad portions of the Bill of Rights and the Constitution as a whole–particularly Amendments 2 and 14.

I also wish it was someone who was demonstrably an AMERICAN citizen. Obama still has yet to prove that he is a native-born citizen. Why is that? Wouldn't it be a lot easier to show a birth certificate with a court rather than have a team of lawyers get the case dismissed? WHAT is Obama hiding??!?!!?!

The POTUS is supposed to be a Constitution DEFENDER, not a Constitution RENDER. (PS–I am betting that the CNN staff will NOT post this comment!)

November 5, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  13. Althea in Fort Walton Beach, FL.

Being from an all red area of Florida it is good to hear the thoughts and prayers of all the well-wishers for Obama and the country. Now its time to roll up our sleeves and support our President. God bless Obama and the United States of America.

November 5, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  14. Joan

@Niki...

I'm african american and take offense you your negativity...I worked all my life, while going to college, which I paid for myself...as well as my student loans all paid!! I am a corporate lawyer at present and working on my PHD. What is your occupation?

How dare you judge me or any other African American....you are one of the reasons why I am so proud today.

Look in the mirror Niki....do some soul searching and figure out who you are, and what you want out of life instead of being a racist Hater!!!

November 5, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  15. Austin

Michael Froman? Is he any relation to Abe Froman, the sausage king of Chicago?

November 5, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  16. Herman In LA

What happen to the PUMA people lol...

November 5, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  17. patty

I am excited for America. I think President Obama will have his work cut out for him but I know we will prevail. It is sad and pathetic that some Americans wish for his down fall. One should never wish for a president to fail if he fails we all fail. Just look at what has happened over the last few years. We must come together and work as one to fix this country. I think Barack Obama will be able to build bridges of communication in the government. I wish him the best and look forward to this country's future with him as our leader.

November 5, 2008 04:58 pm at 4:58 pm |
  18. Crystal

To Nikki and Nathan,

It is so typical of SORE LOSERS, like yourselves to wallow in misery. Get a grip and deal with it, Obama won. The fact remains he won because a melting pot of people voted for him. It appears to me that people like you are the only ones who keep focusing on his color. The fact remains he is An American, period, point blank!!!

November 5, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  19. alvino

The stock market celebrated the end of Bush economics yesterday despite terrible news. Today, it is back to profit taking.

November 5, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  20. bryan mcgee

Im so excited

We finally have our first other race president,the only problem is he keeps saying he is african american,Isnt his mother 100% white?Is he ashamed to be white?

Help

November 5, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  21. James

I am glad to see he is jumping right on it. It is also heartening to see Bush will get him up to speed on the national security front. I am sure those meetings are a barrel of laughs.

When all of you "Nobama's" sober up remember this: this is our president for the next four years. His success is America's success.

November 5, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  22. Scott

Sounds like we're getting the Clinton administration all over again.

As for Napolitano, Obama can keep her, for her poor leadership has ruined the economy of this state. By her leaving we would than get a Republican as governor so the people of Arizona wins after all.

November 5, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  23. ThatOne

All you Obama haters should crawl on over to Fox News. I read earlier that there is alot of hate talk going on over there.

November 5, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  24. DEREK

MAY GOD HELP US NOW!

November 5, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |
  25. Oo Nwoye

Go Barack, the lord is with you! Lets build a more peaceful world.

November 5, 2008 04:59 pm at 4:59 pm |