November 5th, 2008

Obama transition team announced

Barack Obama and Joe Biden announced their transition team Wednesday.
Barack Obama and Joe Biden announced their transition team Wednesday.

(CNN) - Barack Obama and Joe Biden formally announced their transition team Wednesday, and named former Clinton chief of staff John Podesta, longtime Obama advisor Valerie Jarrett, and Pete Rouse, Obama's Senate chief of staff, to oversee the operation.

Full announcement after the jump

Chicago – For the past several months, a board of advisors has been informally planning for a possible presidential transition. Among the many projects undertaken by the transition board have been detailed analyses of previous transition efforts, policy statements made during the campaign, and the workings of federal government agencies, and priority positions that must be filled by the incoming administration.

With Barack Obama and Joe Biden's election, this planning process will be now be formally organized as the Obama-Biden Transition Project, a 501(c)(4) organization to ensure a smooth transition from one administration to the next. The work of this entity will be overseen by three co-chairs: John Podesta, Valerie Jarrett, and Pete Rouse.

The co-chairs will be assisted by an advisory board comprised of individuals with significant private and public sector experience: Carol Browner, William Daley, Christopher Edley, Michael Froman, Julius Genachowski, Donald Gips, Governor Janet Napolitano, Federico Peña, Susan Rice, Sonal Shah, Mark Gitenstein, and Ted Kaufman. Gitenstein and Kaufman will serve as co-chairs of Vice President-elect Biden's transition team.

Supervising the day-to-day activities of the transition will be:

Transition Senior Staff:

Phil Schiliro – Director of Congressional Relations

Michael Strautmanis – Director of Public Liaison and Intergovernmental Affairs

Katy Kale – Director of Operations

Brad Kiley – Director of Operations

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. unclepat

A truly histroic occasion. The first President in history to......
    Ask for four more years before he's even set foot in the White
    House.
    Does he think this is like a pro sports contract where its no good
    as soon as the ink dries and has to be renegotiated? Or is he
    already running for a second term?

November 5, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  2. chan

TO ALL THE HATERS GET OVER IT AND LETS MOVE ON!!!!!

November 5, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  3. Lisa Ross

Business 101: Start with a plan.

Anyone who knows business should appreciate the way this campaign was developed and executed.

This is a great sign of even greater things to come.

November 5, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  4. Boise, ID

If you really think Obama is going to give handouts to lazy people that don't work, quit your job. Now what? Show me you really believe what you are saying. I dare you. You won't do it because you know it isn't true. You are just mad because someone that isn't exactly like you is going to lead the free world.

This Country is finally going to live up to it's name. Perhaps some day we can travel to other Countries with our head held high again. Instead of worrying that everyone wants us dead.

November 5, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  5. Wally©

With a keen sense of urgency the new President-elect knows that there is no time to let up...

not one day...

not one hour...

not one minute...

Not while there is so much at stake !!!!

November 5, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  6. pam

I can't put into words how this feels. It is renewed hope for the future of our children and grandchildren

November 5, 2008 05:00 pm at 5:00 pm |
  7. Jason

I'm Canadian and this is the first time in at least 8 years that it is an honor and priveledge to be your neighbor. I hope that this is just the begining!

November 5, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  8. Kalo

Fire up! Ready 2 Go! Let's do this **** thing U.S.A. WE CAN and We WILL. For once in our lives, please let's come together to make this a better world. Let's try atleast to turn the pages of those horrid memories of yesterday and, yes, even today's world of hatred, division, and racism, sexism, and ageism.
    Yawa

November 5, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  9. Myah

I love the fact that Obama is asking Americans to take responsibilty for the well being and success of this amazing country we live in. He can't do it alone. It is up to us to help bring change to Washington..from the bottom up!

God Bless Mother Earth and all creatures on it!!

November 5, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  10. Chris

To: Truth Hurts

It seems to me the only sad person around here is you. Time to build a bridge and get over it.

November 5, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  11. Brenda Murch

Congrats from Idaho,it is a great day for the United States and as a nation we should be proud of both parties fight for the white house.
    I think you should get your beautiful girls a Bichon Frisa.It is one of the smartest dogs going/

November 5, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  12. Obama is the man!

All the Obama haters, its ok...he will save you from the depths of what BUSH has put you in! You know you were just as happy as MAJORITY of the freaking WORLD to see Obama win! Look at CNN broadcast, they are showing pix of people from all over the world happy that he made it. Set your negativities to the side, Hey, thats what we had to do when that Bush got office! SMILE!

November 5, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  13. Craig

The "give me, give me, give me" movement has begun! I want some more...I have to go watch TV now, but I want some more promises!

November 5, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  14. Elizabeth

Congratulations President Barack Obama!. I never thought in a million years that I would watch with my 3 youngest grandsons the election of a black man to the highest office in America. God blessed America last night with a mighty outstretched arm. President-elect and vice president-elect and your families continue to do what is best for America and God.

November 5, 2008 05:01 pm at 5:01 pm |
  15. Alan Old Bridge NJ

Congatulations! It is my hope that you look inside yourself. Know what you don't know and surround yourself, regardless of party line, with those who can best fill in the void. A great president is the leader of a great team. Choose your cabinet and advisors wisely as they are the ones who will help you make America into the greatest country it used to be. Remember us little people. God Bless you, your family and this wonderful country of ours.

November 5, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  16. R. Tauer

Instead being part of the problem, be part of the solution. I still hear the rascist negativity. Why not try to work with President elect Obama
    and see if we can heal our wounded country. If you really care about our future, see if you can contribute to the healing. If not, you will remain the problem.

Thank you Barack for you civility and dedication. You will make a wonderful world leader.

I offer my help in your efforts.

Dr Farrah Gray's mentor

November 5, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  17. NIKI

HEY DANIEL I AM MCCAIN SUPPORTER WHO ALSO LIKE OBAMA
    I JUST WANT BLACKS TO UNDERSTAND THAT THIS DID NOT JUST HAPPENED.
    THERE IS HARD WORK OUT THERE IF YOU WANT A GOOD REWARD!!!

November 5, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  18. Larry

Regardless of who you voted for...it's time to put "Country First" and support our new Commander and Chief. Or, is all this "Country First" by the right just a slogan!!!!!

November 5, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  19. truther

All of you Mcsame supporters are right about one thing, this election WAS about race- YOUR racism and how you cant see past it enough to recognize how brilliant President-elect Obama really is. You dont deserve him as your president but your lucky to have him nontheless.

Your ideology is rapidly becoming extinct, so shutup and watch as real adults take control of our USA.

November 5, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  20. Freedomatlast

Congrats to us and the World! I had so many friends from around the world holding their breath last night, hoping that this country didn't continue in the path of facism that it has been on for the last eight years. We are really free at last – now I'm proud to be American and if anybody has a problem with me saying that, then it's your turn to get out of this country. The nightmare Reaganomic years are over and a new generation and people can speak their truth without the fear of religion, bigotry and ignorance reigning over them.

November 5, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  21. TX Jim

They said it would be a cold day in hell before America elected a Black Man...

Well all you haters, bundle up!!!!

November 5, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  22. gabby

America has indeed spoken – the time honored tradition in this country is that majority rules. Let's just hope the American people have not been deceived and deluded. It will be interesting to see where the money will come from for the Socialist reforms and wealth sharing. Time will tell.

November 5, 2008 05:02 pm at 5:02 pm |
  23. Red State Republican who voted for CHANGE!

I am so excited that this is all over! And I am happy to say, that I'm excited to call "that one," President Barack Obama!

November 5, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  24. rich

Despite the enormous challenges ahead, I am confident that President Obama will make America proud in time. His heart and mind are in the right place. I understand the disappointment the other side feels. I along with millions of others experience that same disappointment in 2000 and 2004, but at the end of the day, I remained an American and respected the office of the presidency even if I did not agree with at all times with President Bush's decisions. In democracy, there is a winner and a looser, and it is incumbent upon all of us to remember that is how our country functions, and that win or loose, we are all Americans.

November 5, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |
  25. Al

To all those folks who are nay-saying... being negative... hateful... spiteful.... calling names..

I'll take a page from the conservative handbook.

If you don't support the president, you're not an American. There are planes and ships leaving the country every day, be on one. Or just drive north or south. The majority in America has spoken, if you don't like it, leave.

November 5, 2008 05:03 pm at 5:03 pm |