November 5th, 2008

Palin: 'Cannot even imagine' 2012 bid

Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.
Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.

(CNN) -- Hours after John McCain and Sarah Palin conceded defeat to Barack Obama, the Alaska governor told CNN she can't imagine running for the top job herself in 2012.

"Right now I cannot even imagine running for national office in 2012," she told CNN's Dana Bash. "When I say that, of course, coming on the heels of an outcome that I did not anticipate and had not hoped for. But this being a chapter now that is closed and realizing that it is a time to unite and all Americans need to get together and help with this new administration being ushered in."

Watch: 'Chapter now closed,' Palin says

Bash caught up with Palin and her husband Todd in the Phoenix Biltmore - the site of John McCain's concession speech Tuesday night.

"2012 sounds so far off that can't even imagine what I'd be doing then," Palin also said.

Palin also denied the suggestion her presence on the GOP ticket contributed to Obama's electoral landslide victory.

"I don't think anybody should give Sarah Palin that much credit, that I would trump an economic time in this nation that occurred about two months ago, that my presence on the ticket would trump the economic crisis that America found itself in a couple of months ago and attribute John McCain's loss to me," she said.

"Now having said that, if I cost John McCain even one vote, I am sorry about that because John McCain, I believe, is the American hero. I had believed it was his time," she added.

Exit polls suggest that voting blocs McCain advisers had hoped Palin would attract - suburban woman and independent voters — strongly supported Barack Obama. Exit polls also suggested over 60 percent of the electorate thought the Alaska governor was unqualified to be president if necessary. But the overwhelming issue among voters did appear to be the nation's economy, not McCain’s vice presidential pick - 85 percent of voters said they were worried about the nation's financial woes, and 54 percent of them picked Obama.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. O & Joe '08!!!

Russ: I think Rudy Giuliani wears a size 6.

November 5, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  2. Leslie

I'm sorry to say as a woman that Sarah Palin was a blight against all women everywhere. Her hateful comments, her blantant lies and her power trip showed the world an evil woman with her own agenda. I'm happy people banned together and tossed her aside along with her party. She needs an education on the rest of the United States and World Affairs before she tries to step into the polical arena again. I feel for Alaska, she's going to try to control more unfairly.

November 5, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  3. MR. CANADA

No one will run against Obama in 2012 . He is going to create a half million jobs , end the war , make America a safer place , improve education , introduce health care and lower taxes . The guy is there for life.

November 5, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  4. Mariana

I figure Gov. Palin isn't thinking about 2012 because she doesn't intend to wait four years for her reward from the Republican Party for her willingness this year to take one for the team! When AK Sen. Ted Stevens goes to prison (still in denial that he's been "convicted of anything"), she may take a shot at his seat. Alternatively, there have been some suggestions she'll be offered her own TV show, maybe on Fox. Our best hope is to pray that she'll become one of those grandmothers who can't stand separation from her offspring's offspring, stay in Wasilla and tend to her knitting!

November 5, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  5. OBAMA-08

Sarah – maybe in 2012 you will be a permanent fixture on SNL . . . you betcha :)

November 5, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  6. JM

I have never seen such hate as from you people on these blogs. I agree with Debby.

November 5, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  7. Kirk

Palin and McCain ran a divisive and dirty campaign – something this country didn’t need. I do give credit to McCain for trying to address that division in his concession speech. It was a very good speech. But, the fact is he and Palin riled up fears and anger that won’t be easily put back in the box. Anyway, I hope to never see Sarah Palin again unless she finds some way to redeem herself, something John McCain has already started to do.

November 5, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  8. Walter, FL

please hunt moose, and never come back!

November 5, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  9. MacKane

Sarah Palin was a pawn, sacraficed by the Republican, to draw on a certain voter base. Too bad no one really knows what voter base that was. she will ride off into the sunset, never to be heard of again!! My biggest disappointment will not being able to watch her be made fun of on SNL.

November 5, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  10. Bob

Time to see if Socialism and Democracy can succesfully integrate. History has shown it probably cannot continue to propel the USA as the world's economic power. The good thing, I guess, is that we don't have to put on our seat belts, because things are really going to slow down. Good luck to us all and Good Bless the USA!

November 5, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  11. Really Now

Oh come now Chip. Are you telling me that the media held a gun to her head and made her say that she could see Alaska from her house? Or made her not know what kind of newspapers she reads? An 11 year. Old could have answered that question.I don't doubt her intentions were good. However she was not prepared to take over. There are plenty of people with degrees but no common sense.Meaning McCains campaign people. They didn't take time to prepare her for the national stage, which is bigger than the Alaskan government.

November 5, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  12. Tom in Ohio

TO: Dan in Akron – I am sure that your judgement of Sarah Palin, a wonderful Christian woman based on all I have observed, casts a good deal more doubt on your Christian credentials than hers.

I should get you a good pair of tweezers for the logs you must always be carrying around in ur eyes.

November 5, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  13. Matt

Sarah,

you cost McCain my vote!

November 5, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  14. SBP, Syosset, NY

Morpheus Green: Unfettered Ambition and Ignorance!!! Wow, was that ever on the money. And equally applicable to the current resident of the White House.

November 5, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  15. bobolou

Please Sarah, go back to Alaska and stay there.

November 5, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  16. Barrett

Hopefully this is a lesson to all unqualified aspiring politicians in America: ambition and a sense of entitlement does not qualify anyone to be President.

November 5, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  17. Syrinx

The last thing we need in our highest offices are young earth creationist nutjobs who wish to have Biblical creationism taught in our schools (in direct violation of the Constitution) instead of scientific facts like evolution, and who believe that dinosaurs lived alongside humans 6000 years ago. koo-koo!

We already appear to be uneducated rednecks to the rest of the world – let's not prove them correct!

Obama/Biden 2008 – two minds are better than none!!!

Yes We Can!

November 5, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  18. Matt

It made me chuckle to think that Gov. Palin can't see herself in the white house in 2012 because she can't physically SEE the white house from her house in Alaska....

November 5, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  19. Robbin

I can't imagine her running for any office in 4 years because she shouldn't even BE in office now

November 5, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  20. Frank from Wilton Manors

If anyone still wonders the how and why of Obama being elected, it is because those of us casting an intelligent vote realized we were supporting a statesman rather than a politician. It is exciting to think (and certainly ironic) that the Republican Party has 'crashed and burned' to use military vernacular. Metaphorically speaking, they must have outsourced maintenance on their aircraft to the lowest bidder and have now paid the price.

November 5, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |