November 5th, 2008

Palin: 'Cannot even imagine' 2012 bid

Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.
Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.

(CNN) -- Hours after John McCain and Sarah Palin conceded defeat to Barack Obama, the Alaska governor told CNN she can't imagine running for the top job herself in 2012.

"Right now I cannot even imagine running for national office in 2012," she told CNN's Dana Bash. "When I say that, of course, coming on the heels of an outcome that I did not anticipate and had not hoped for. But this being a chapter now that is closed and realizing that it is a time to unite and all Americans need to get together and help with this new administration being ushered in."

Watch: 'Chapter now closed,' Palin says

Bash caught up with Palin and her husband Todd in the Phoenix Biltmore - the site of John McCain's concession speech Tuesday night.

"2012 sounds so far off that can't even imagine what I'd be doing then," Palin also said.

Palin also denied the suggestion her presence on the GOP ticket contributed to Obama's electoral landslide victory.

"I don't think anybody should give Sarah Palin that much credit, that I would trump an economic time in this nation that occurred about two months ago, that my presence on the ticket would trump the economic crisis that America found itself in a couple of months ago and attribute John McCain's loss to me," she said.

"Now having said that, if I cost John McCain even one vote, I am sorry about that because John McCain, I believe, is the American hero. I had believed it was his time," she added.

Exit polls suggest that voting blocs McCain advisers had hoped Palin would attract - suburban woman and independent voters — strongly supported Barack Obama. Exit polls also suggested over 60 percent of the electorate thought the Alaska governor was unqualified to be president if necessary. But the overwhelming issue among voters did appear to be the nation's economy, not McCain’s vice presidential pick - 85 percent of voters said they were worried about the nation's financial woes, and 54 percent of them picked Obama.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Style!!

Sarah, you had a great wit about you, as well as a great sense of style.

Who cares that your hair, make-up and wardrobe budget was $150k.

How much $$ do you think will be spent on trying to straighten Michelle's hair during the next four years?

November 5, 2008 01:27 pm at 1:27 pm |
  2. monica

Don't worry Sarah, you didn't cost McCain one vote – you cost him thousands.

November 5, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  3. Debby

The media mocked her, but this woman has more integrity than Obama/Biden put together.

November 5, 2008 01:28 pm at 1:28 pm |
  4. Maggie from Virginia

I hope to never see or hear from you again. Pathetic liar!

November 5, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  5. qwert

did she just refer to herself in the 3rd person? she's finally cracked!

November 5, 2008 01:29 pm at 1:29 pm |
  6. Chip

I hope folks can contain their attitudes and hate on this one. After all, she IS a governor and got there pretty much on her own. She was ravaged by the press trying to make her look as bad as they possibly could, folks need to lay off.

All the while, most of the haters that will post just to bag on her are in a cubicle, updating the ticker on company time hoping the boss doesn't catch them.

Those are the ones that call her an idiot? Please.

November 5, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  7. ANGIE

Sara Palin You Did nothing but try to Divide this Country with Hate and Fear,You are a liar and a Fraud, America is better off with the likes of you not in it. We have come too far as a country to let some bitter hateful person like you take us down Now GOOD RIDANCE BACK TO ALASKA YOU GO!

November 5, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  8. Bushwhacked in Eugene, OR

Yeah - well, Hillary denied it 4 years ago, too [and I was a Hillary fan, at that time].

But - methinks perhaps she may be smarter than we gave her credit for and may have listened to the majority who said she wasn't ready and would never vote for her.

We can only hope.

November 5, 2008 01:30 pm at 1:30 pm |
  9. NC = blue in '08

Anyway, there's no way this nimwit would make it past the primaries. If she did, she would get clobbered by Barack Obama.

I am not sure why everyone thinks she is such a skilled politician. I just don't see it. I think she is a moron.

November 5, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  10. Veteran for Obama

She can discount 2012. We've got a two term president!

November 5, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  11. Marie Ontario

In reality Sara Palin is better suited to be in Alaska since they don't seem to mind corrupt politicians or actually like them to conduct business with the me first and Alaska second attitude.

Anyway now Sara and Todd can go back home and work on making Alaska it's own country.

November 5, 2008 01:31 pm at 1:31 pm |
  12. Adam

I would hope she doesnt have asperations to run for office in 2012, unless she comes back with a Ph.D. in Political Sciences and a better knowledge of foreign affairs instead of how far she can see across her border. Congrates to Obama and honorable mentions to the McCain administration.

November 5, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  13. barbara

I know lots of people that may have voted for Sen. McCain had he picked someone more respectable as his running mate. That said, I don't think that Sarah Palin was the only woman that turned people against McCain. Lots of people do not like his wife. She would have been a plastice first lady.

November 5, 2008 01:32 pm at 1:32 pm |
  14. BigVin

God bless Sarah Palin...She was undermined by the leftist media and those who portrayed her as underqualified. In fact she has more executive experience than the president-elect.

The Messiah now has his chance, let's see what he can do. Remember Jimmy Carter was looked as someone who could "change" Washington....he turned out to be the WORST president ever. We Americans may actually yearn for the Bush days in a few months.

November 5, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  15. margaret willis

O. K. when does the Salvation Army get those clothes so all of it can be sold on e-bay? Or did she change her mind and take them all home with her?

November 5, 2008 01:33 pm at 1:33 pm |
  16. Diane dp

John McCain's exception concession speech last night restored some of the regard with which I had viewed him, but I have nothing but enmity for the person he chose to accompany him to the White House. Hopefully, Americans will insist the next election be run with the level of civility and respect President-elect Obama used throughout his campaign.

November 5, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  17. Dave

I finally have something in common with Ms. Palin. I can't imagine her running in 2012, either.

November 5, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  18. MattZ

Hmm. Maybe she's worried about harming the top of the Palin/Whoever 2012 GOP ticket.

November 5, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  19. Mickey Dean

Evangelicals don't represent most christians let alone most rebublicans. i don't know how, or who made them the conservative base, but they will be back in left field now. or right field...

November 5, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  20. Dawn

SHe is a self-made woman. I respect her very much.

November 5, 2008 01:34 pm at 1:34 pm |
  21. Chris

I would say Palin is best suited to appear as a guest commentator on VH1's "I Love 2008" in a few years.

November 5, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  22. sophia nyc

Palin should work on coherency and cognition.

Thank God its over. Time to unite the best nation on earth.
    Support President Obama.

November 5, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  23. Freedom Loving Patriot (God fearing too!)

She showed her partisan side....SHE IS FAIR GAME FOR CRITISISM

November 5, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  24. Meh

Oh please. She made herself look bad. The press had NOTHING to do with it.
    Good ridance!