November 5th, 2008

Palin: 'Cannot even imagine' 2012 bid

Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.
Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.

(CNN) -- Hours after John McCain and Sarah Palin conceded defeat to Barack Obama, the Alaska governor told CNN she can't imagine running for the top job herself in 2012.

"Right now I cannot even imagine running for national office in 2012," she told CNN's Dana Bash. "When I say that, of course, coming on the heels of an outcome that I did not anticipate and had not hoped for. But this being a chapter now that is closed and realizing that it is a time to unite and all Americans need to get together and help with this new administration being ushered in."

Watch: 'Chapter now closed,' Palin says

Bash caught up with Palin and her husband Todd in the Phoenix Biltmore - the site of John McCain's concession speech Tuesday night.

"2012 sounds so far off that can't even imagine what I'd be doing then," Palin also said.

Palin also denied the suggestion her presence on the GOP ticket contributed to Obama's electoral landslide victory.

"I don't think anybody should give Sarah Palin that much credit, that I would trump an economic time in this nation that occurred about two months ago, that my presence on the ticket would trump the economic crisis that America found itself in a couple of months ago and attribute John McCain's loss to me," she said.

"Now having said that, if I cost John McCain even one vote, I am sorry about that because John McCain, I believe, is the American hero. I had believed it was his time," she added.

Exit polls suggest that voting blocs McCain advisers had hoped Palin would attract - suburban woman and independent voters — strongly supported Barack Obama. Exit polls also suggested over 60 percent of the electorate thought the Alaska governor was unqualified to be president if necessary. But the overwhelming issue among voters did appear to be the nation's economy, not McCain’s vice presidential pick - 85 percent of voters said they were worried about the nation's financial woes, and 54 percent of them picked Obama.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. bobo

Thanks for the memories. Enjoy the free clothes.

November 5, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  2. Josh

Chip, get the chip off your shoulder, she's the governor of alaska, which means, only alaskans have to like her. The media gave Palin her due, that's all. She'll be a fabulous gov for what alaska needs and that all needs to be said.

And more integrity, give me a break, do you even know what that word means? Do you even know anything about Obama or Biden other than what extremist pro-McCain/Palin websites have said? No you don't know, so don't speak about it, unless you do. Obama's it, now deal with it.

November 5, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  3. Joe Don

You know, if a mere 4 years sounds so far off you can't even imagine it, you shouldn't be in any sort of executive position, including governor!

November 5, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  4. rosey

yeah right... not thinking about 2012 huh... that's code for "i'm getting my campain manager on it as we speak"...

November 5, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  5. phil

I like Chip's comment. Very true about the cubicles.

Palin can't see a 2012 run because she sees an Obama 2nd term in the not too distant future.

I hope the next four years go by very slowly. I want to enjoy sensibility in the White House.

Obama '12!

November 5, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  6. Kelly

I totally agree with CHIP. And you know what's so funny about the press...if you notice, when you try to submit a comment to this, CNN states that the "comments are moderated by CNN", in accordance to their comment policy...blah, blah, blah. This is what the next 4 years will be like. Obama will be completely protected by the media.

Sarah is awesome and she should hold her head up high and move on. She's made Alaska great and will continue to do so. People are afraid of her because she stands for what this country has lost. She can go out, shoot her dinner, prepare it, eat it, take care of her kids, run a State, dress up like a lady and do it all again the next day. Also, throw in hardwork and the love of her country....guns, religion and everything in between. These are all the things our country has lost.

November 5, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  7. Sean

More integrity than Obama/Biden combined? Really? If that's what you call abusing your power and violating ethics rules to score a personal vendetta, then maybe. If that's what you call hiding your ties to a virulent secessionist movement with ties to skinhead and white-supremacists, then maybe. If that's what you call putting a town of 7000 people over 22 million dollars in debt – when they had no outstanding debt before – and bungling a land sale such that legal proceedings are now being held against the town, then maybe. I don't know, but that doesn't seem like integrity to me.

November 5, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  8. mc

why still full of hate- obama won – leave her alone!

November 5, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  9. The Rock

When she does go back to Alaska I hope she takes the Bridge to Nowhere!
    Goodbye Palin please don't call us we will call you.....

November 5, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  10. Anonymous

I do hope that Sarah Palin will remain politically active and will continue energizing her base in a manner she so aptly demonstrated.
    It would be a true pleasure watching GOP eating itself from the inside!

November 5, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  11. Jim

Please Debby and Chip, it wasn't just the media mocking her. It was all of us. The things that came out of her mouth were ridiculous. Dan Quayle got just as much press when he opened his mouth. Maybe if she had any clue what the Vice Presidents job is, or what the first amendment actually stands for she wouldn't have been mocked. And integrity... you should actually read the report about her in Alaska the bi-partisan one that determined she did indeed ABUSE her authority, the only reason she isn't being impeached is because she didn't get anything out of it, other than revenge. The fact is they never considered a governor would be so petty so that wasn't written into the law.You have an interesting definition of integrity.

Thank God, we'll never have to talk about this woman again.

12. Deb

I hate sore winners.

13. Anne

If Palin had true intelligence and honor, she would have declined the offer to be the nominee, knowing and admitting that she was too inexperienced and underqualified for the job. She would therefore, never have been in the position to have had those pointed out to her in the national press and by other high-ranking Republicans, much less by Democrats and Independents. Having said that, you could also same the same about McCain's asking her to take it in the first place. I fail to see integrity in either of their actions, and I'm an Independent who has always voted for the person who has the background, intelligence and honor for the position they are running for; needless to say, I did not ever vote for Bush once I had thoroughly researched him on the web,

14. Timothy - Brooklyn, NY

Neither can I

15. Park

I think Debbie should move to Alaska to live under Sarah's leadership.

16. DD

Well, now all the good looking women in the political arena are gone. Palin & Cindy McCain... Back to politics as usual....

17. Joe the Voter

Sarah Palin is way more qualified than Obama is. Being a community organizer is like saying you're an Avon lady.

18. Michel

Comments from Maggie and other Dem's show they don't care about America....just winning.. The Dem President Elect said Its time to Unite. Politics are over now... I am thankful for the 3 men and the woman who were smart enough and willing to put themselves on the line for our country. Agree or disagree with any of them, but they were nominated by millions of others in the country to represent their parties. UNITE... Pathetic Liar? Maggie, just remember.. "It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!

19. Carla

She did refer to herself in 3rd person! Carla finds that hilarious!

20. TRECEY

nice try for MAC to try and get his wife and mistress in the White House at the same time. I'm gonna miss Sarah!

21. Wayne Messer

Chips mad because he doesn't have a job.

Censor all you want but the truth will send you to Gitmo.

22. Linda - WI

Funny how conservatives tend to blame the media when things don't go their way. We saw and heard Gov. Palin for ourselves and many of us concluded, ON OUR OWN, that she's not ready for primetime.

But blame her for the loss? No way. That blame belongs to Senator McCain.

23. Lissa

I don't think she's stupid; I think she's very cunning. She is SO thinking about 2012...

Thing is, she was chosen hastily and for her gender; she proved over and over that she is desperately unqualified for the jobs she's held, let alone the 2nd highest in the land and – heaven forbid – the highest!

She can run in 2012 but she has to prove herself in the interim. Takes more than sentence structure to do that.

24. Mike

I wouldn't go so far as to say she cost McCain the election, but she sure didn't help. She's the female equivalent of Dan Quayle. I think the Republican party needs to kick the state of denial they are currently in and realize that the party needs to change if it's to remain relevant. I don't love the Republicans, but I don't love the Democrats either and think that single party rule is a great tyranny. The Republicans need to abandon the failed platform of the neoconservatives that have alienated so many voters and return to the true libertarian principles that have always been at the core of their greatest success. Smaller government, less intrusive government, fiscally responsible government, personal responsibility, and above all individual liberty. These are the principles this country was founded on and despite current appearances are the principles that I believe most Americans still cling to in their heart.

25. Turner, GA

It wasn't Sarah Palin's fault that John McCain lost the election. She's not the one that asked to be VP; John McCain chose her for the position for reasons other than her qualifications to do the job. She clearly had no knowledge of national issues and she was only spewing what she was told to spew. In the end, she caught up to speed and after much practice, she became a typical polititian. Not her fault, it's just not her time. We all need to unite now and thank God that the race is over and John McCain didn't win.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16