November 5th, 2008

Palin: 'Cannot even imagine' 2012 bid

Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.
Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.

(CNN) -- Hours after John McCain and Sarah Palin conceded defeat to Barack Obama, the Alaska governor told CNN she can't imagine running for the top job herself in 2012.

"Right now I cannot even imagine running for national office in 2012," she told CNN's Dana Bash. "When I say that, of course, coming on the heels of an outcome that I did not anticipate and had not hoped for. But this being a chapter now that is closed and realizing that it is a time to unite and all Americans need to get together and help with this new administration being ushered in."

Watch: 'Chapter now closed,' Palin says

Bash caught up with Palin and her husband Todd in the Phoenix Biltmore - the site of John McCain's concession speech Tuesday night.

"2012 sounds so far off that can't even imagine what I'd be doing then," Palin also said.

Palin also denied the suggestion her presence on the GOP ticket contributed to Obama's electoral landslide victory.

"I don't think anybody should give Sarah Palin that much credit, that I would trump an economic time in this nation that occurred about two months ago, that my presence on the ticket would trump the economic crisis that America found itself in a couple of months ago and attribute John McCain's loss to me," she said.

"Now having said that, if I cost John McCain even one vote, I am sorry about that because John McCain, I believe, is the American hero. I had believed it was his time," she added.

Exit polls suggest that voting blocs McCain advisers had hoped Palin would attract - suburban woman and independent voters — strongly supported Barack Obama. Exit polls also suggested over 60 percent of the electorate thought the Alaska governor was unqualified to be president if necessary. But the overwhelming issue among voters did appear to be the nation's economy, not McCain’s vice presidential pick - 85 percent of voters said they were worried about the nation's financial woes, and 54 percent of them picked Obama.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Louis T

As an Obama supporter, I can honestly say that she didn't cost McCain the election. Most agree that it would have been tough for any republican this year regardless of who was on the ticket. The bitter taste of the Bush administration is just too strong.

That being said, he did better than he would have done without her, and the republican party has a new face.

She'll just need to come to the center and appeal to a broader base–which was the intent all along.

November 5, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  2. jack

Brace yourself we are in for 4 years of trouble Obama can not run this country.

November 5, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  3. Jeff

To Debby:

Palin was thrown into a situation that she should never have been placed into. The McCain camp did not prepare her and the media ate her alive. However, to suggest she has more integrity then Obama and Biden is ridiculous. Some of the things she said at her rallys were shocking and totally off base. However, I agree that both sides threw stones which is typical in hard fought races.

I agree with 60% of the U.S that she was not ready to lead our nation in the event she was called upon to do so. However, I think the McCain camp bares much of the responsibility in putting her in that position. This is not a dig against her but more against McCain in that he should have picked someone to not only energize the base but pull in the independents and moderates.

November 5, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  4. therealmarie

Sarah Palin was Pimped by the RNC and McShame for stage and trash talk value. She is a disgrace to herself, family and country.

5. TyWebb

She's going to be on "The View", instead.

6. NATE

As an African American, I'm both proud and conflicted regarding this race. I'm proud that Barrack Obama is the next President, but at the same time, I don't agree with all that he stands for. It is time for change and I too have the audacity to hope. Yet my hope is founded on Christ and him alone. Sarah Palin had her flaws, yet so do we as well as Obama. The media was very one sided and harsh towards her. She doesn't fit the mold of a typical politician, but she is very sincere. Yet and still this is great day for America and I wish her well and pray for her continued success while governing in Alaska.

7. Piter

Sorry, but if all you've got is political cunning and your appeal is strongest (and mainly) among the fundy gun-nuts, then president is not the job for you.

8. Wayne

Does Michelle still believe this country is mean and full of hate. I hate to think of her being a "first lady" for four years. What a bad representative.

9. Maria Jinich

There were 2 winners on Nov 4th: Obama and Sarah Palin. Actually she is the big winner, we all spared her a huge disaster. She could have been worse than Cheney. "Go home, Sarah, and read a little about evolution"

10. FreeNLovIt

Glad she wants to unite and move on. We all should do the same thing.

Never underestimate the power of a woman. She almost crippled Obama's chance.

11. David

Palin deserves our respect-I disagree with her on many issues but I respect her for going out and campaign for a party she believes in..

I was dismayed by some of her comments and think she really owes the American people an apology for some of the things she said but I guess that is politics.

She can run if she wishes to and good luck to her if she does.

I am one looking to help unify America and look beyond our differences and to our common goals and better angels. We need to work together as the United States of America to solve our problems and move forward. No more blame game for as they say "it takes two to tango" and everyone has some fault for where the country is today.

12. Goddess

Good. Keep it that way. Your backwards thinking is what probably cost McCain a chance at the presidency.

13. THE US OF WHAT?

GET LOST SARAH I STILL DON'T LIKE AND NOW ITS YOUR TURN TO TUCK YOUR TAIL AND GO AWAY. YOU LOST THE ELECTION FOR MCCAIN AND I BETCHA MCCAIN DOSEN'T LIKE YOU.

14. phyllicia

Wake up Chip and Debby;
    Sarah Palin needed more growth and exposure before stepping on the national stage. She did casue McCain the election and it doesn't take a bitter hate monger to have seen the lack of depth of this candidate. If she had more knowledge and administrative base, she should have shown it.
    And Chip some of us use our off time and our own company's technology to verbalize our voices in addition to the voting booth. Now let get to the job of supporting our new President Elect as he gets to the job of hauling us out of the ditch of the 8 years of leadership casting us inot unnecessary war and lack of oversight.

15. Ben

Sarah isn't a bad person and if all you can spew from your mouth is more hatred then get out of my country. I don't care if you are democrat, republican or none of the above. I may not like Obama but I do respect the fact that he ran a great campaign. End the hate on both sides. We are all Americans and should be prideful of that.

16. Wayne Messer

chips just mad because he doesn't have a job.

Censor all you want the turth will send you to Gitmo

17. mark

“And it also strengthens my faith because I know at the end of the day putting this in God’s hands, the right thing for America will be done, at the end of the day on Nov. 4.” ... I wonder if she still believes that? I think she got that one right.

18. Ellen

Wow all this negativity...and here I thought the "Messiah" was going to unite the Country...sigh

19. serkan

yes we did! change is here
    pls someone put palin on a first plane to alaska to be not seen again in my lifetime

20. Debbie

She needs to ask forgiveness from God for the hate she incited at her rallies. She stoked fires that incensed crowds to hurl threats at another human being. The images of her fear mongering and the sound of her hateful shrill voice will NOT be forgotten anytime soon.

21. Morpheus Green

Sarah Palin combines two things in a terrible way, unfettered and unreflective ambition with ignorance. She has no humility or accurate self-understanding.

22. Cindy

The problem for Sarah and the media was that she did not speak to the media until it was too late. You cannot have a VP Candidate who does not do interviews. People formulated an opinion about her based on the fact that she would/could not do interviews like a normal candidate would. Members of the campaign flat out stated that she was not ready so they didn't have a choice but to keep her "locked away" from the media. This does not bode well with voters who want to get to know who the candidate is and what they stand for...she could not provide that.

And when she did do interviews, she showed how ill-prepared she truly was. And you can all blame it on a biased media, but c'mon. She was not ready for this plain and simple!

23. NV for Obama/Biden

I hope we never hear from her again – she is far to right to have anything to do with national politics in this country. This is the era of a new direction in this country – one built on tolerance and can do attitudes not hate and fear. She does not have more integrity than Obama/Biden and she was not ravaged by the press – everything being said about her and the labels put on her are all self inflicted with her power-hungry, hate spewing rhetoric that she tried to shove down our throats everyday. Her divide and conquer tactics did not work – not today and I only hope that the people of Alaska saw who this women truly is and vote her out of state politics.

24. Dee

Debby – you're kidding, right?

Palin needs to go home to Joe Sixpack and never be heard from again.

November 5, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  25. Greg

It's attitudes like the ones on this board that continue to divide the country. I voted for McCain, but Obama is now my president elect. He will receive my support and I hope and pray he does a great job. The bitterness from the winning side is appalling, just as I thought the booing at McCains concession speech was as well. The country became divided under Bill Clinton, even more so under George Bush, and now it seems that it is only going to get worse. I hope that I am wrong. Whether you voted for him or not, Obama now deserves our support and a chance to be a great president. I voted for Gore in 2000. but let's face it, the partisanship in the U.S. had become so strong that Bush never had a chance to be considered a great president. Now 8 years later, we appear to be in the same boat with Obama.

November 5, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |