November 5th, 2008

Palin: 'Cannot even imagine' 2012 bid

Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.
Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.

(CNN) -- Hours after John McCain and Sarah Palin conceded defeat to Barack Obama, the Alaska governor told CNN she can't imagine running for the top job herself in 2012.

"Right now I cannot even imagine running for national office in 2012," she told CNN's Dana Bash. "When I say that, of course, coming on the heels of an outcome that I did not anticipate and had not hoped for. But this being a chapter now that is closed and realizing that it is a time to unite and all Americans need to get together and help with this new administration being ushered in."

Watch: 'Chapter now closed,' Palin says

Bash caught up with Palin and her husband Todd in the Phoenix Biltmore - the site of John McCain's concession speech Tuesday night.

"2012 sounds so far off that can't even imagine what I'd be doing then," Palin also said.

Palin also denied the suggestion her presence on the GOP ticket contributed to Obama's electoral landslide victory.

"I don't think anybody should give Sarah Palin that much credit, that I would trump an economic time in this nation that occurred about two months ago, that my presence on the ticket would trump the economic crisis that America found itself in a couple of months ago and attribute John McCain's loss to me," she said.

"Now having said that, if I cost John McCain even one vote, I am sorry about that because John McCain, I believe, is the American hero. I had believed it was his time," she added.

Exit polls suggest that voting blocs McCain advisers had hoped Palin would attract - suburban woman and independent voters — strongly supported Barack Obama. Exit polls also suggested over 60 percent of the electorate thought the Alaska governor was unqualified to be president if necessary. But the overwhelming issue among voters did appear to be the nation's economy, not McCain’s vice presidential pick - 85 percent of voters said they were worried about the nation's financial woes, and 54 percent of them picked Obama.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Obama Supporter

Sarah Palin was used by John McCain because he wanted a female to steal votes from the Hillary Supporters.

Sarah Palin used Joe the Plumber for her political gain.

In contrast, Obama focused his campaign on the issues.

Yes we can !!

2. Bob Dog

Sarah Palin delivered many of the nasty, unjustified attacks herself. I hope she continues to lurk around national Republican politics for many years, because I am hopeful Americans will continue to reject her brand of cheap, self-serving and devisive "us vs. them" superficiality. I think she could do the Republicans considerable damage in the future, and I look forward to that.

3. Roscoe Hudd

Not ready for prime time. Probably not a bad person, but a bad prospect for a serious job, and too vain to realize it.

She could have said "Thanks, but no thanks!" when McCain called, so I have a hard time feeling sorry for her.

4. arlene

Although Sara Palin did not turn out to be a good choice for vice-president, Some of Joe Biden's comments were even worse. He was quoted saying that in the 1930's during the depression FDR got on televison and told the public what was what.
    TV didn't go into common use until the late forties and FDR was not president. That is an example of who is in are senate.

5. Proud Democrat

I think everone's entitled to their opinion. If people don't like Sarah Palin, so the hell what? They have their reasons, she spread lies and slander to those willing to believe anything negative about her opponents. That's not propaganda, that's a fact. If you're willing to accept that or not is up to you. I personally don't hate her, I don't know her. I'm just glad she's not my vice president, and I have every right to feel that way. I do feel for John McCain, though. He just made a bad decision.

6. Bonnie O., Raleigh, NC

"But this being a chapter now that is closed and realizing that it is a time to unite and all Americans need to get together and help with this new administration being ushered in."

The only smart words the woman has ever uttered.

7. Wrangler

I feel sorry for Sarah only because she fell for the GOP puppet show. McCain should be ashamed he called on her knowing the little experience she had. He threw her on the world stage and provided little support to keep her up to speed. In away, I also blame Sarah for taking on a position that was clearly over her head. I know sometime we get a bit giddy when we see a once in a life time opportunity. But for a position like VP of the U.S., she should have politely declined his offer. You can't blame the media for pouncing on her, especially since she put herself out there as an attack dog against Obama/Biden and the media. Its quite clear that the GOP only used her in hopes of getting Hillary voters and the presidency for John McCain. Its sad that she couldn't see that she was only being used. It was a cruel and disgraceful tactic by the GOP.

8. Christopher W. Mannoia

God, we just had the election yesterday, and Sarah is trying to capitalize on it already?

PRESIDENT Obama!

9. missy from TX

I think it is so unfortunate that people have been bashing this intelligent, well-meaning woman as though she were the Devil. She is someone who has inspired millions and did all she felt she could do to help McCain win. Biden made ALL KINDS of gaffes as well, but he has just slipped right past them. Sarah will do fine, I hope for her sake, and people should really stop to do some serious introspection to figure out why they are so mean spirited.

10. Jennifer

I would have more respect for Sarah Palin if she a) showed some intellectual curiosity about the actual issues and b) if she hadn't spent the race being divisive. Nothing was ever her fault – it was the liberal media, or the parts of the country that are not pro-America. Never mind that she thinks Dick Cheney's interpretation of the role of VP is correct or that she thinks being able to see Russia counts as foreign policy experience.

11. FreeNLovIt

She'll make a GREAT Speaker of the House or a Senator or a VP, but not a PREZ.. I cant ever see her in that role until she can completely answer all National Security questions.

12. milo

The polls sure showed that she hurt more than she helped.

But denial is nothing new for this woman.

13. Gloria

To all you Sarah Palin supporters, do you even know her stand on wildlife preservation and environmental issues? Apparently not, or you would not be defending her or supporting her. Her own state does not!

14. Madge

She nor McCain get no kudos from me for the despicable campaign they ran which was all about making a devil out of Obama (in perfect Rovian form) than actually putting any good policy forward. Meanwhile Obama stayed focused, told the country exactly what he wanted to accomplish and attacked only when he was attacked. It wasn't the downturn in the economy that lost them the election. It was the message of moving foward by Obama that won HIM the election.

15. Ryan

Get ready to pay those taxes, you idiots!

16. Dan

Her addition to the ticket showed Americans that Sen McCain did not have good judgment. She became a lightning rod/scapegoat/laughing stock. Most Republicans I know did not like her and wished that they could vote for McCain without voting for her.

Maybe she can go on "30 Rock" as Liz Lemon's evil twin.

17. Cory

Its funny how much hate has been spewed during this election from both sides.

I hear people question her qualifications, then forget that the president elect has spent less than 200 days as a Senator then decided to run for President.

I am happy to live in a country that will elect a minority candidate. But am ashamed at the way Govenor Palin was attacked by bloggers and the media. No other candidate was so focused on as her. You would think that they would focus on the candidates and their warts much more than a VP candidate.

Beyond that, I hope the Barrack can show everyone that regardless of race that he can lead us to where we need to go. Start to balance the budget and stop the crazy spending that we have seen over the past 4 years atleast.

18. Chuck

Neither can we Sarah, neither can we.

November 5, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  19. mike

I just hope all the Obama supporters are still happy when the next major terrorist attack occurs due to his ignorance to the terror threat. In case you all forgot, 9/11 occurred because of Clinton's failure to respond to the USS Cole bombing and the Iran hostage crisis occurred due to Carter's failure to act. We have yet another Democrat in office who will lead to the downfall of this nation due to a weakness in foreign policy and sympathy for terrorists.

Mark my words...

November 5, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  20. Paul

I wouldn't be worrying about not knowing Sarah Palin before three months ago. I would worry more about still not knowing anything about Obama.

November 5, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  21. tpope

now Sarah can go plan that marriage for her daughter...

November 5, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  22. That Other Jerry

Sarah Palin at least showed that a woman can be a conservative without frumping around in ill-fitting polyester and a blue-tinted bouffant. Much to the annoyance of many, conservatives are as capable of defying stereotypes as liberals. Palin may or may not be a national candidate again in the future, but she's sure to be a voice for conservatives once she gains a little more national experience.

As for all the Palin-haters on this ticker: I've been refraining for weeks, but it's time at last: SHUT YOUR PIE-HOLES!!! Go climb back up in your trees and pick the fleas out of your fur.

November 5, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  23. Susie

Well now we don't have to worry about Palin....we need to make sure Obama fulfills "each and every promise" he has made to ALL Americans. Send the free money, provide us all health care like Congress has, end the war, make the rest of the world love us once again, reverse the falling prices of the housing industry, turn our economy around...and we will all be happy campers won't we?

November 5, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  24. Winnie Hussein . . . in Montana

Okay, let me adjust the punctuation in this sentence:

When I say that, of course, coming on the heels of an outcome that I did not anticipate and had not hoped for, but this being a chapter now that is closed and realizing that it is a time to unite and all Americans need to get together and help with this new administration being ushered in.

Nope, taking out the period and creating a run-on sentence instead of two sentence fragments does not help. This sentence is still not clear and is incomplete. Thank goodness I don't have to listen to her or try to translate her horrid speech patterns ever again.

No Palin 2012.

November 5, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  25. David

Sarah Palin is a good woman and a fine American... and I voted for Obama! Palin's image was misconstrued and twisted by the media. She's a smart woman and DID win an election. Anyone that pokes fun, saying that she's governor of a state that "doesn't count," I dare to run against her!

I'm sure, if she ran in 2012, she would still want what was best for the country.

November 5, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |