November 5th, 2008

Palin: 'Cannot even imagine' 2012 bid

Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.
Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.

(CNN) -- Hours after John McCain and Sarah Palin conceded defeat to Barack Obama, the Alaska governor told CNN she can't imagine running for the top job herself in 2012.

"Right now I cannot even imagine running for national office in 2012," she told CNN's Dana Bash. "When I say that, of course, coming on the heels of an outcome that I did not anticipate and had not hoped for. But this being a chapter now that is closed and realizing that it is a time to unite and all Americans need to get together and help with this new administration being ushered in."

Watch: 'Chapter now closed,' Palin says

Bash caught up with Palin and her husband Todd in the Phoenix Biltmore - the site of John McCain's concession speech Tuesday night.

"2012 sounds so far off that can't even imagine what I'd be doing then," Palin also said.

Palin also denied the suggestion her presence on the GOP ticket contributed to Obama's electoral landslide victory.

"I don't think anybody should give Sarah Palin that much credit, that I would trump an economic time in this nation that occurred about two months ago, that my presence on the ticket would trump the economic crisis that America found itself in a couple of months ago and attribute John McCain's loss to me," she said.

"Now having said that, if I cost John McCain even one vote, I am sorry about that because John McCain, I believe, is the American hero. I had believed it was his time," she added.

Exit polls suggest that voting blocs McCain advisers had hoped Palin would attract - suburban woman and independent voters — strongly supported Barack Obama. Exit polls also suggested over 60 percent of the electorate thought the Alaska governor was unqualified to be president if necessary. But the overwhelming issue among voters did appear to be the nation's economy, not McCain’s vice presidential pick - 85 percent of voters said they were worried about the nation's financial woes, and 54 percent of them picked Obama.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Jun Camus

Debbie, Maggie, Magpie, Chip, Pork Chop, etc:

give it up. you lost because your candidates are a bunch of lying, conniving, fact-twisting, myth-making group of people. More integrity? do you even know what the word means?

Leave, Sarah, leave!

November 5, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  2. American Patriot

Can somebody...anybody interpret what her first 3 sentences mean? This woman makes Bush seem articulate. Alaska, is this the best you can do? Betcha her approval rating ain't 80% when she gets home.

November 5, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  3. Red State Republican

Bye Bye Sarah....as far as 2012 goes? THANKS BUT NO THANKS!

November 5, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  4. Scott

I think it is highly likely that Sarah Palin will be the next U.S. Senator from Alaska. If Ted Stevens maintains his lead and is reelected, he will be forced to resign or will be expelled from the Senate. Palin will then appoint herself to the U.S. Senate.

November 5, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  5. Barry Croll

Going to miss her appearances on SNL, but then again i am sure she will have her own talk show since she has absolutely nothing worthy to say!!

6. Stefanie, Texas

Sarah Palin says, "Right now I cannot even imagine running for national office in 2012."Good, let's keep it that way!

7. Nikki

My heart goes out to her, she was thrown into a terrible situation and she tried to make herself look qualified when she should have never been put in the situation by McCain. McCain lost this election all by himself, poor decision making will get you everytime. Shes no Hilliary substitute Johnny.

Go Obama!!!!!

8. Mr. Peavey

The future is uncertain for the young and the old. Young people finished college and could not find jobs and old people lost their retirement when stocks crashed. Nothing is certain but the fact that we can play a role in how we approach the future is what voting is all about.

Young people and old people finally spoke with the same voice.

9. I can see CHANGE from my house

Sarah Palin: yes you are not THAT important that people would think you cost McCain his victory, you really are not that important. However, I find it funny that on your prank call with the French President, you did say you wanted to run in 2012. So what's the truth. Did you also not say "you are not doing it for naught"? Stop lying. Oh and please tell us what you did with your wardrobe.

10. Sam Benegal

As a republican, I am ashamed of the divisive campaign Sarah Palin waged. Palin's twisted vision of the 'real America', the 'pro-America parts of America', the 'patriotic parts of America', was unpatriotic and destructive.

I wish she would stay in Alaska, but I know she will be back, and I will vote against her again in any election in which she runs.

11. Zach

Hopefully by the time 2012 rolls around she will have settled in Alaska permanently. I also would say that McCain's poor choice of running mate cost him the election. McCain would of been 100 times better off without her and her incredible ability to dodge questions, abuse power, speak slander, and say "Maverick".

12. Joel Wilcox

Apparently Sarah believes that humans and dinosaurs co-habited the earth a few thousand years ago. I wish some interviewer had asked her whether she believes that humans contributed to the extinction of the dinosaurs.

13. Jane Independent

Many of you on this board are gracious winners and wonderful human beings

14. jack

i voted republican BECAUSE she was on the ticket.

15. Chris

Funny, all the liberals who voted Obama are deciding how many votes Palin cost McCain. None of you were voting for their ticket regardless of who was the VP nominee so how do you have any idea about her positive or negative impact?

Your guy won, hopefully he proves the republicans wrong and we are a better country in a few years. But until he does something, anything at all, you may want to keep your gloating down just a bit.

16. Norm

While I believe Palin is an incredibly strong and smart woman, I think her downfall was not only in her public winking during rallies (to charm over American voters instead of offering concrete solutions to the problems that currently plague America), but additional mistakes such as labeling what 'real America' is, claiming to have read every magazine, being contradictive on the issue of being a feminist, etc..

It would be an utter disaster to see her in the White House in 2012. That roll should be reserved for President elect Obama's final term should he perform well in office during his first one.

17. kg

Plain in 2012! It would mean the GOP had been totally taken over by "the base" 22% male rednecks and would never be a viable party again.

18. Jeff

Hopefully she will be on the ticket in 2012, it will make it a lot easier for the Dems.

19. Jeffer65

The Republican party would be pretty stupid to allow her to run for Prez ever again. The party has to reorganize and reinvent itself, and she is not the future. I could see her running for Congress though.

20. Oscar

You should relax Debby, what makes you think Sarah has integrity after everything she said, while not dealing with her own issues, pregnant daughter, ethics probe....

21. regina

John McCain lost this election when he put her on his ticket. go back to alaska and enjoy your life

22. Susan

Those of you that need to continue attacking Governor Palin need some perspective. Do you remember the first interviews Hillary had – "I ain't sittin home baking no cookies, that's for sure." Yes, Governor Palin had some rocky interviews, but the people of her state value her and she is a leader. How many time has Joe Biden tried to run for President? And how many stupid or mean comments has he made – do some research, there are alot of sound bites from his 5+ attempts to get elected as President. Don't let the media control all your decisions. Further, remember the way you attacked Governor Palin when Obama or Biden is attacked. If you are going to dish it out, then you need to be able to take it too. You seem to think it perfectly ok to be derogatory and hateful to your opponents, but when it comes back to your guy, then you get all offended. Its time to grow – grade school was a long time ago.

23. Bob

Tiny Fey is happy as hell – she was getting tried with that 2nd job.

24. Kyle

Go Ahead and run Palin.. we will match you up against Obama or Hilliary.... imagine going against either one of them in a debate in 4 years. I think she should go back to being a News reporter. Politics is not for her.

25. John Starnes Tampa Florida

I can't believe how very poor her grammar is!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16