November 5th, 2008

Palin: 'Cannot even imagine' 2012 bid

Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.
Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.

(CNN) -- Hours after John McCain and Sarah Palin conceded defeat to Barack Obama, the Alaska governor told CNN she can't imagine running for the top job herself in 2012.

"Right now I cannot even imagine running for national office in 2012," she told CNN's Dana Bash. "When I say that, of course, coming on the heels of an outcome that I did not anticipate and had not hoped for. But this being a chapter now that is closed and realizing that it is a time to unite and all Americans need to get together and help with this new administration being ushered in."

Watch: 'Chapter now closed,' Palin says

Bash caught up with Palin and her husband Todd in the Phoenix Biltmore - the site of John McCain's concession speech Tuesday night.

"2012 sounds so far off that can't even imagine what I'd be doing then," Palin also said.

Palin also denied the suggestion her presence on the GOP ticket contributed to Obama's electoral landslide victory.

"I don't think anybody should give Sarah Palin that much credit, that I would trump an economic time in this nation that occurred about two months ago, that my presence on the ticket would trump the economic crisis that America found itself in a couple of months ago and attribute John McCain's loss to me," she said.

"Now having said that, if I cost John McCain even one vote, I am sorry about that because John McCain, I believe, is the American hero. I had believed it was his time," she added.

Exit polls suggest that voting blocs McCain advisers had hoped Palin would attract - suburban woman and independent voters — strongly supported Barack Obama. Exit polls also suggested over 60 percent of the electorate thought the Alaska governor was unqualified to be president if necessary. But the overwhelming issue among voters did appear to be the nation's economy, not McCain’s vice presidential pick - 85 percent of voters said they were worried about the nation's financial woes, and 54 percent of them picked Obama.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. kelly

That fact that she thinks the problems with the economy started only 2 months ago is why we did not vote the ticket. No the economy was not sound. She will need to understand the issues more before the voters will take her seriously. Maybe taking the senate seat of Stevens will add some credibility.

2. Mathew

PALIN FOR 2012!!! Boo all you haters! You're just jealous because you can mosse hunt in Alska!

3. chupachupa

she was not the best choice for mcain but she did gave the party a better look among new voters even if the media make fun of her she should feel proud..they did what the could..congrats OBAMA...hey bush is looking for people to help him move out the white house

4. Matt

What's more important for this country, more so than one man in charge or a certain party in charge, is what we citizens do for this country. You should look at yourself in the mirror and really question wether or not you are a cause, or part of the solution, to the problems that we face.

5. tws in NC

I am so glad this election is over...history has been made and now Sarah Palin can be history...if she drops out of sight, there will be no love lost...She was the plague of the REPUBS and she knows it.

OBAMA/BIDEN '08/'12
    "Dare to Hope"

6. Peter (CA)

Sarah-I can't imagine you running for national office in 2012 either.

Debby-thought you would have been over the hate by now or at least would have gone back into hiding. Palin and integrity are polar opposites. Her ethics are questionable and her vile attacks on Obama turned off everyone who is willing to vote for a candidate without an R after their name.

7. Terry, Butte, Mt

She can't conceive her 2012 bid?

neither can we.

8. Jansen

I really appreciate that she added this, "…it is a time to unite and all Americans need to get together and help with this new administration being ushered in."

I certainly hope she means that, because I think some of her fans will need to hear it more than once in order to get over the sting of defeat and move forward.

I will not rallly around a President who thinks it is okay to kill babies and take away my hard earned money so that some lazy bumb can have something.

9. Anonymous

she cost my vote

10. deezie

I thought from the beginning that Palin knew she was being exploited but was ok with it because she had her own agenda. She needs to return to Alaska and stay there.

11. Jerry H

I'm an independent who supported Obama (and I've voted for both Dems and Reps in past elections). I think everyone but the die-hard fans of Governor Palin can agree that she was unprepared for the National issues facing a VP candidate; and, I think rightfully so, as a first term governor who didn't have her sites set on national politics at that moment. It will be interesting to see if she chooses to involve herself more in national politics and if she runs for president in 2012 or later years, to see how prepared she is. As for Debby's integrity comment ... I think that remains to be seen. Gov. Palin's surprise nomination didn't leave much vetting time and Trooper-Gate definitely raises some concerns in my mind.

12. Mike

If obama became the president on one speech like hilary said so can she!

13. Big Vic from Reagan Country -Part II

This is my last post on anything that has to do with her. CNN – can you let this one go -thx

Like a bad smell on my shoe, it has been wiped off and forever cleanse. I can walk in peace knowing that this sad excuse for a Republican version of affirmative action is headed back to Alaska.

Hopefully, she has learned that those of us in the lower 48 states need more than a cute personality and an unsubstantiated sound bite to vote for someone.

Also, she will somehow reconcile her hate mongering and divisiveness with her purported "Christian" religion and have more tolerance for her fellow Americans in the future.

November 5, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  14. ktodman

Govenor Palin-God Bless you as you return to your State to continue the excellent work that you have done, you suffered some of the harshest criticism during this campaign, much of which was simply shameful. Continue to make your state grow and prosper. Enjoy your wonderful Blessings in your beautiful Children and Husband and remember that between you and Hillary , you all made little girls all over this great country see that nothing is unattainable even though we may have to fight a little bit harder.

From a True Blue Democrat

November 5, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  15. RJ

Will she be "donating" the clothes to charity?

November 5, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  16. django

good luck, sarah, america needs you and look forward to your 2012 run with Romney and put obama where he belongs

November 5, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  17. Scott

Well I pray that you all know how to pray and that you find it in your hearts to apologize to our men and women in uniform. They are sent there to fight in your name (and at the beginning you all were for this war but now you can't remember that it was you that wanted it so blame Bush. You wanted change and don't really know anything about Obama except his name. You should be very afraid the bible speaks of such an man coming to power so lets wait and see. As for Palin a much tamer version of Hillary at least Palin speaks the truth.

November 5, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  18. Nikelas

Sarah Palin is one of the biggest factors for McCain to lose. In one hand she attracted her base but with her fanatic religious beliefs of the world just like Jeorge Bush, she drove the double amount of independents and especially women who does not like her abortion ideology. What McCain miscalculated is he thought without a conservative, base will not be with him. But I really do not see conservatives are going for Obama anyway. If he wanted to elect a lady vice president, I am pretty sure K Hutchinson of Texas would have been much better candidate. She would have given him the base plus other Hilary votes as she is close to center and has an impressive media presence. However, there are so many other factors which is responsible for McCain to lose, just not Sarah Palin. I really want to thank Sarah Palin for entertain us for couple of months in otherwise gloomy mood of the nation. I can see Russia from my home would be in people's mind for long time to come.

November 5, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  19. Chuck

I'm not hating on Palin, but I'm ready for her to return to Alaska as a bizarre footnote.

November 5, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  20. Noah

Now that the election is over I have to say Sarah Palin is so hot! I think the fact that I disagree with her on almost everything makes her even hotter. Come on guys!! Am I right?

November 5, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  21. monique, NYC

Thank God it's over. I was petrified by the thought of her in office.

November 5, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  22. Adam P

Sarah Palin is going to be the next junior US Senator from AK. There is something rotten going on up there. Apparently voters up there missed the news that Ted STevens was convicted on 7 counts last week. Dems will through him out of the Senate in early February, and then there will be a new Republican challenger for the seat.....Sarah Palin. Mark my words....something is very "fishy" in AK right now.

November 5, 2008 01:57 pm at 1:57 pm |
  23. IronyMan

Now that Obama has elevated to the highest seat in the land, proving, once again, that this is the greatest country in the world, there are so many people that can now take the railroad tie off their shoulder.

November 5, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  24. robert

Sarah, your 15 minutes are up!

November 5, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  25. az voter

I am a Republican, and I didn't, in the smallest measure, support Gov. Palin's election bid.

But you really have to give the gal a bit of credit. Being thrown into our nationally illuminated meat grinder can't be fun. She did her small town best to hold up her end of the Republican's bargain.

I doubt that we'll see the Republican party revive itself as it has historically been. Odds are good that it will split and splinter into two new representative parties. I'll vote and work for that division..

I think we'll see Palin back again leading the charge for the radical right. They need and deserve her !

It's time for a new level headed middle-of-the-road party. Sign me up !

November 5, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |