November 5th, 2008

Palin: 'Cannot even imagine' 2012 bid

Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.
Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.

(CNN) -- Hours after John McCain and Sarah Palin conceded defeat to Barack Obama, the Alaska governor told CNN she can't imagine running for the top job herself in 2012.

"Right now I cannot even imagine running for national office in 2012," she told CNN's Dana Bash. "When I say that, of course, coming on the heels of an outcome that I did not anticipate and had not hoped for. But this being a chapter now that is closed and realizing that it is a time to unite and all Americans need to get together and help with this new administration being ushered in."

Watch: 'Chapter now closed,' Palin says

Bash caught up with Palin and her husband Todd in the Phoenix Biltmore - the site of John McCain's concession speech Tuesday night.

"2012 sounds so far off that can't even imagine what I'd be doing then," Palin also said.

Palin also denied the suggestion her presence on the GOP ticket contributed to Obama's electoral landslide victory.

"I don't think anybody should give Sarah Palin that much credit, that I would trump an economic time in this nation that occurred about two months ago, that my presence on the ticket would trump the economic crisis that America found itself in a couple of months ago and attribute John McCain's loss to me," she said.

"Now having said that, if I cost John McCain even one vote, I am sorry about that because John McCain, I believe, is the American hero. I had believed it was his time," she added.

Exit polls suggest that voting blocs McCain advisers had hoped Palin would attract - suburban woman and independent voters — strongly supported Barack Obama. Exit polls also suggested over 60 percent of the electorate thought the Alaska governor was unqualified to be president if necessary. But the overwhelming issue among voters did appear to be the nation's economy, not McCain’s vice presidential pick - 85 percent of voters said they were worried about the nation's financial woes, and 54 percent of them picked Obama.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. deezie

I thought from the beginning that Palin knew she was being expoited but had her own agenda. She needs to return to Alaska - and stay there.

November 5, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  2. Time to move on.

Palin was a joke. From day one I knew we would win. She represents all the factors in the Rep Party I can't stand. She is dumber than a doornail. She is overly obnoxious. She needs to go back to fishing shanty and hopefully global warming will do the rest for us.

see ya Moose Lips

November 5, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  3. rickyjames

For SP, it ain't over til she says it's over. Ted Stevens of Alaska is currently ahead in re-winning his US Senate seat, but after becoming a convicted felon during his reelection campaign, he will be unable to be reseated. It falls to SP to appoint who will take his place in the US Senate until a special election can take place. She thus can appoint herself to a US Senate seat from Alaska in the next few days and start a campaign to keep it in an Alaska special election.

SP with four years as a US Senator is a formidable political force in 2012....

November 5, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  4. John H Noble Jr

As an Independent, let me say to John McCain, "Thank you, thank you, thank you for running Palin as your VP candidate. Without her to clinch the deal, who knows how many Independents would have believed McCain has the judgment to run this country. The prospect of McCains death in office and Palin succession was too terrifying to chance. So, again, thank you John McCain.

November 5, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  5. Jay

A big "bye bye!' here, courtesy of Jay Six Pack.

November 5, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  6. Really Now

Oh come now Chip. Are you telling me that the media held a gyun to her head and made her say that she could see Alaska from her house? Or made her not know what kind of newspapers she reads? An 11 year. Old could have answered that question.I don't doubt her intentions were good. However she was not prepared to take over. There are plenty of people with degrees but no common sense.

November 5, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  7. j8norman

I wonder if she'll give all those clothes back now...

November 5, 2008 01:58 pm at 1:58 pm |
  8. edd

"Right now I cannot even imagine running for national office in 2012"

Neither can the world!

9. Victoria Amoroso

Sarah Palin is nothing more than a hockey mom - she should stick to what she knows.

10. JL

Wow.....the real character of most liberals is still rearing its ugly head...continuing to make snide hurtful remarks about Governor Palin..you folks are pathetic. Sarah Palin is a remarkable person who withstood an absolute onslaught of vitriolic hate spewed at her that has to date been UNPRECEDENTED... not only for a #2 on a ticket but also for a #1 on ticket. I hope she is totally vindicated.....she certainly was completely vindicated over the farce of a 'trooper gate' scandal. The opposition tried to dig up absolutely everything they could on her....just like what they tried to also do with Joe the Plumber...a guy who asked a good question....again pathetic. Do you think freedom of speech will be in jeopardy?

11. Republican for Obama

That's a funny thing!!! I can't imagine it, either!!!!!!!

12. bob

"I can see 2012 from Alaska..."

13. KJL

I remember Hillary Clinton coyly denying any plans to run, while doing a lot of careful planning in the background. The difference is, Clinton had a chance. This woman is the epitome of everything that is wrong with American politics. When her looks go, so will she, because that's all she had to offer.

14. TiredMom

Well Sarah, you were the trump for me. As a female, college graduate with 3 children who holds down a full time job I never heard anything from you that indicated you had a clue about what my day to day life is like. The saddest part, I wanted to vote for John McCain but the thought of you possibly becoming President scared me to the point that Obama was the better choice.

15. Peter from OH

I hope I never have to hear about her again on the national stage; I hope she'll stay in Alaska for the rest od her life. We should all look out for her, she might be one day the most dangerous political person in the world. We got a good shot of what to expect from her, if she will ever be in power: America as a Theocracy.

16. Lisa Cain

Sarah Palin has more experience than Barack Obama.

Raising a family with a special needs child and holding a public office is more than anyone could anticipate and deserves all of our respect.
    If she would have been black, she would have been adored. CNN, and the media got "their boy" so they get to live with the results of his distorted ignorance of the White house politics and his starved need for attention and the display of his altered ego for the next 4 years. If he does manage to get through the next 4 years it will be the longest job he has ever held.

17. Laura

Hey, Sarah. Do you need a lift to the airport?

18. Andy J, NY

I find it funny how nasty some Obama supporters continue to be.

Be as gracious in your victory as McCain/Palin people have been in their defeat. We all must rally around our new president and hope for the best. I think the time for name calling is done, you need to get over your nasty attitude problems and start to unite. Some people really like Palin, so how do you expect to unite the country when you are continually nasty with regards to Governor Palin.

I voted for a 3rd party candidate ( i guess i threw my vote away by casting the ballot for the person who i believe most closely represents my political principles), so this is not from coming from a McCain supporter. Yeah, thats right.

19. BenderHeel

"The media mocked her, but this woman has more integrity than Obama/Biden put together."
    – yes, and that integrity was on display as she and "The First Dude" obsessively abused her power in order to have her ex-brother-in-law fired from his job and then used such divisive and offensive themes on the campaign trail. And any mocking was well deserved when you're in the limelight and yet can't get off your talking points long enough to answer which newspapers or magazines have helped shape your worldview.

I'm a lifelong Republican that has worked for some of the most conservative members of Congress and the Reagan administration, and naming her as his vice presidential nominee cost McCain my vote. She was plainly unqualified for the office, especially given his age and health, and her post-convention behavior and interviews only solidified my initial reaction. And I'm sure that many others agree with me.

If Palin is the new face of the Republican Party, then the Party needs cosmetic surgery or I need to find a new political party to support.

20. Dianna Thomason

The speech Senator McCain gave last night was outstanding. It is unfortunate that he had made the poor choices that he has; which in turn cost him the Presidential Seat. I do believe to some degree that Palin had contributed to some of his loss. I say this because of the hostile campaigning that she demonstrated over the last few weeks or so. As a woman of God and/or Christian, I could not relate to the hatred, anger and prejudice that she supported and took a back seat to.

She often referenced God, but failed to realize that God is of love, not of hate. God has chosen Obama for a divine purpose and we as Christians or non-Christians must connect ourselves with God in order to make it to the kingdom of heaven. Hatred, anger, and biogtry will cost ones soul. I am truly grateful that we have both Obama and BIden as our new leaders. God is good!

21. It is what it is

Look, Sarah Palin is not a bad person...she's a loving mother and wife that cares about her kids and family.. I question her morals about the country because of how she supports a separatist group, and to her credit, she DID move up pretty well on her own...but the bottom line is this...a negative – tear down the opponent campaign accompanied by over-stating and stretching a limited resume is what lost this campaign.

If Palin-McCain had offered their plans, showed where they were an improvement over the Bush years and highlighted where they were BETTER than Obama-Biden rather than all of the ridicule, and mudslinging, they probably would have done it...

When you look back on things...Bringing Palin in is when the wrong stuff started.. to that point, yes, she did lose votes for him. To the point of many republicans, that is why they walked away...and MANY just didn't want to vote Obama (okay, that's their choice)...so they just didn't vote.

and by the way, GET REAL..who works in cubicles anymore?? That's what laptops and blackberries are for!!!

22. Mary a mom

I did vote for the McCain/Palin ticket. I am also an American that, although I believe in less government...more personal responsiblity, I was proud to see President-elect Obama address his supporters AND all of this country last night. I drove eight total hours yesterday to make it possible for my 18 year old college student to vote. Her enthusiasm to exercise her right to vote, brought tears to my eyes. I have always taught my daughters that they can be anything they want to be with dedication and hard work. Being able to vote for a woman, regardless of the outcome, also made me hopeful that sexism will also be left in the past.

23. Palin 2012

Sarah, you need to start by making a name for yourself.
    Start by getting Stevens kicked out of the Senate. It is a disgrace that over half of Alaskans even voted for him.
    Shame on you for those who voted this crook in.
    This will show the people that maybe next time around you'll be a leader.

24. happy days ahead

no ones giving you credit for anything except that you are totally unqualified to be in any kind of government. you might be qualified to be a terriost. think about it, you caused so much hate in the campaign by calling president obama a terriost, that people tried to kill him, shame on you.

November 5, 2008 02:00 pm at 2:00 pm |
  25. AM in VA

The people have spoken with their votes. McCain conceded graciously and Sarah Palin has also said the right things. They both deserve a much needed break.

Obama/Biden '08