November 5th, 2008

Palin: 'Cannot even imagine' 2012 bid

Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.
Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.

(CNN) -- Hours after John McCain and Sarah Palin conceded defeat to Barack Obama, the Alaska governor told CNN she can't imagine running for the top job herself in 2012.

"Right now I cannot even imagine running for national office in 2012," she told CNN's Dana Bash. "When I say that, of course, coming on the heels of an outcome that I did not anticipate and had not hoped for. But this being a chapter now that is closed and realizing that it is a time to unite and all Americans need to get together and help with this new administration being ushered in."

Watch: 'Chapter now closed,' Palin says

Bash caught up with Palin and her husband Todd in the Phoenix Biltmore - the site of John McCain's concession speech Tuesday night.

"2012 sounds so far off that can't even imagine what I'd be doing then," Palin also said.

Palin also denied the suggestion her presence on the GOP ticket contributed to Obama's electoral landslide victory.

"I don't think anybody should give Sarah Palin that much credit, that I would trump an economic time in this nation that occurred about two months ago, that my presence on the ticket would trump the economic crisis that America found itself in a couple of months ago and attribute John McCain's loss to me," she said.

"Now having said that, if I cost John McCain even one vote, I am sorry about that because John McCain, I believe, is the American hero. I had believed it was his time," she added.

Exit polls suggest that voting blocs McCain advisers had hoped Palin would attract - suburban woman and independent voters — strongly supported Barack Obama. Exit polls also suggested over 60 percent of the electorate thought the Alaska governor was unqualified to be president if necessary. But the overwhelming issue among voters did appear to be the nation's economy, not McCain’s vice presidential pick - 85 percent of voters said they were worried about the nation's financial woes, and 54 percent of them picked Obama.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Jeez

And I can't either.

November 5, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  2. independent

I respect you Gov. Palin..good luck.

November 5, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  3. Zaphod2000

you are right palin. You nor anyone in their right mind can imagine you running for political office ever again. Don't think you are so high and mighty either. You might not have been the top reason, but your hatred and righ wing idealism didn't help mccain who became a shadow of himself by electing you.
    Let's hope the people is Alaska wake up for the next election of governor and take you out of office.
    From a REAL American who voted for Obama/Biden.

November 5, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  4. bruce

Didn not anyone listen to what both candidates said last night….
    They said it was time to put the bickering and back biting, away and for us to come together as a antion , to make things better for all of.
    The comments here and other places that are so devisive still do not meet those expectations.
    I am a 54 year old white male and have been through the 60's and 7-'s protests that tore this country apart…
    All of you…NOW is a time to put your country first, ahead of your political views because only by working together can we turn this country back into what it once was.
    STOP the nastiness, the partisanship and let us all come together…

November 5, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  5. Kathy

I do not think the GOP will ever suppor her again. They ditched Maybelline Queen Katheryn Harris and will probably do the same for this dolt. I think the combined IQ of Harris and Palin is 80, and the make-up about 80 pounds.

November 5, 2008 01:35 pm at 1:35 pm |
  6. Karen from Charlottesville

Actually Sarah did cost McCain a lot of votes. She represents a destructive old paradigm of negativity and hatred. People are just plain tired of it, and they have spoken, loudly. Let's hope and pray that the Republican party gives up the politics of Rove and Palin and begins to run on the basis of something REAL, like sound economic policy. The socially conservative aspect of the Republican party has been a disaster in this country and it has NO PLACE in American politics anymore.

November 5, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  7. Bernie

Yes we did!
    Now she can go back to Alaska!

Obama/Biden 08/12

November 5, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  8. Robert

chip – she was ravaged by the press because she was a complete right wing idiot! the fact that she is governor of a state that has less people in it than an average city means nothing.
    if she wasnt such a divisive hateful "woman" then maybe the people and the press would of been kinder. she got what she deserved and I personally will never support anyone as hateful and divisive as her!
    hope her career goes on ice in alaska and we never hear from her again!

November 5, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  9. Paul

Regardless of how anyone fells about Palin.....we will see her again in 2012.

November 5, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  10. dave harlow

Now you dems are just being meen.. this is over.. get over it and quit bashing Sarah

November 5, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  11. Proud American

Palin 2012... ha scary and funny all at the same time. Is that possible?

November 5, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  12. justobserve

Even GOP, according to the poll, only 18% want her back as GOP leader, so Palin's future seems not on the national stage unless she'd be a white Oprah.

November 5, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  13. Accountant Guy

Good, because she needs to stay in Alaska and continue being a liar, cheat, and a power abuser!!

Obama/Biden

November 5, 2008 01:36 pm at 1:36 pm |
  14. Sean

oh she is going back to alaska where things aren't the same anymore..you betchya!

November 5, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  15. Vegas Barbie for Obama

I laughed out loud when she said in that interview that "she won't get into hurling any negativity" or some such...she had no problem doing so throughout the campaign and her ugliness and vitriol did her ticket no good whatsoever. I hope she stays in Alaska forever.

November 5, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  16. Jan, Knoxville, TN

Can the lady even make a complete sentence?

November 5, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  17. DD

All I can say about this is, if she does come back in 2012 she should leave that negative talk behind and show the christianity that she proclaims.

November 5, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  18. kwg

The best outcome of this election has been realized – we get to see Palin hitch her trailer on up and head back to AK. Good riddance. For all our sakes, please do not return.

November 5, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  19. dEMOBRAT

@ Maggie- why are you still so full of hate? I was hoping the nastiness would be gone from the ticker.

YOU ARE GROSS.

November 5, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  20. sneaky pete

Debby-

there was more hateful shouting and lies spread at her rallies than obama/biden/mccain combined. i would hardly say she has mroe integrity. also, if she wasmocked it was because she brought it on herself. there were so few interviews and question sessions by palin that when she said something goofey it was basically all there was to go on. biden made a lot of gaffes too but when he spoke to the media 500 times more than she did there are more chances at something dumb being said. i have no sympathy for her and the treatment she received.

November 5, 2008 01:37 pm at 1:37 pm |
  21. Greg, San Francisco, CA

I hope she does run for President in 2012. She can contribute to a second Obama Landslide.

November 5, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  22. Dee

Debby,

I firmly disagree with you on that point, do your homework!!!!

I think Palin has had a hard time in this election and I wish her Godspeed.

November 5, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  23. Lou

Bye Sarah. Thanks for the SNL fodder. you've been great.

November 5, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  24. Karen

Maggie – time to put the hate away and see if Obama can put his money where his mouth is. I, for one, cannot believe that people, such as you, hate so much. I thought your party was for everyone. Guess that only applies to those who agree with you.

Good luck in 2012.

November 5, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  25. Jennifer

Palin cost McCain my vote. Had he picked Romney he would have had a more qualified VP candidate AND a man with an outstanding financial background which I believe would have strongly brought more votes into his camp. As it was Palin brought nothing to the ticket but distraction and vitriole. She did not balance out McCain's financial weaknesses as another VP pick would have. (This from a lifelong fan of John McCain who donated funds to his Presidential bid four years ago.)

November 5, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |