November 5th, 2008

Palin: 'Cannot even imagine' 2012 bid

Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.
Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.

(CNN) -- Hours after John McCain and Sarah Palin conceded defeat to Barack Obama, the Alaska governor told CNN she can't imagine running for the top job herself in 2012.

"Right now I cannot even imagine running for national office in 2012," she told CNN's Dana Bash. "When I say that, of course, coming on the heels of an outcome that I did not anticipate and had not hoped for. But this being a chapter now that is closed and realizing that it is a time to unite and all Americans need to get together and help with this new administration being ushered in."

Watch: 'Chapter now closed,' Palin says

Bash caught up with Palin and her husband Todd in the Phoenix Biltmore - the site of John McCain's concession speech Tuesday night.

"2012 sounds so far off that can't even imagine what I'd be doing then," Palin also said.

Palin also denied the suggestion her presence on the GOP ticket contributed to Obama's electoral landslide victory.

"I don't think anybody should give Sarah Palin that much credit, that I would trump an economic time in this nation that occurred about two months ago, that my presence on the ticket would trump the economic crisis that America found itself in a couple of months ago and attribute John McCain's loss to me," she said.

"Now having said that, if I cost John McCain even one vote, I am sorry about that because John McCain, I believe, is the American hero. I had believed it was his time," she added.

Exit polls suggest that voting blocs McCain advisers had hoped Palin would attract - suburban woman and independent voters — strongly supported Barack Obama. Exit polls also suggested over 60 percent of the electorate thought the Alaska governor was unqualified to be president if necessary. But the overwhelming issue among voters did appear to be the nation's economy, not McCain’s vice presidential pick - 85 percent of voters said they were worried about the nation's financial woes, and 54 percent of them picked Obama.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Dee

I agree. I voted Republican, but Obama won and it's time to support the winner. Like it or not he will be our next president and instead of poking at the losing part and gloating (and the reverse to be said to Republicans who can't accept the loss), let's make sure America moves forward.

November 5, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  2. Dan, Baltimore

I will agree. I was not a fan of Palin, but I am sure she is not as stupid as the media tried to make her out to be. Otherwise, how would she have become governor of a state? I think she was extremely held back by the campaign, as evidenced by her speaking against some of the campaign's choices, because they were afraid of her making a mistake. Unfortunately, and this goes for all politicians and campaigns, when you're so afraid of making mistakes that you plan everything out so perfectly, you can't really do anything that is truly GREAT either.

Again, I do not agree with her ideas, nor would I want her leading the country, but I hope for her own sake, personally, she can recover from this and show people who she really is.

November 5, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  3. Matt

i hope she doesn't try to run

November 5, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  4. Nathan

Integrity???

Good Lord, I almost had a seizure from laughing at that one – thanks!

She dug her own grave by giving laughable answers to some very tough issues.

November 5, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  5. John Smith

Debby made her statement only because she sees Obama as a Black man, not a man of family values (never left his wife to marry another), a constitutional lawyer, and perhaps one who followed the mandates of Christ: "love thay neighbor as thyself"; "whosoever rejects anyone of ...rejects ME." and so on. We are called upon, not to judge or else we will be judged much harder. May God bless and honor you Debby. Obama is now my President-Elect.

November 5, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  6. RJinchi

I am sure Palin is a decent woman. I admit I do not agree with her on most issues, but I think her problem began right out of the gate when she became a walking/talking point for the republicans. None of us knew who she was and then all of a sudden we were supposed to buy into what she was selling becauase McCain chose her as a running mate? I have a feeling she will be a behind the scenes person for the GOP from here on out.....

November 5, 2008 01:38 pm at 1:38 pm |
  7. Purple Nurple

She was one of the main reasons why I voted for Obama. She is way to right-wing for me. No way she will run. you can't fix stupid in 4 years!!!!!!!!!

8. Luis

Palin is likely to dissappear from the public eye. Both Palin and Tina Fey got their 15 minutes of fame. Who will Tina Fey portray next?

9. Michigander

If I was in her shoes, I would be so disgusted with the way the press went after me and the vile vindictive from the narrow minded and intolerant left, I would retire from public life. It isn't worth it. We have become savages.

10. MA Voter

You can't blame Governor Palin for the loss. McCain picked her, she was asked to do something for her party and she did. Did I think she was qualified? Heck no. Hence they didn't get my vote. But no, this loss is not her fault. The buck stops with McCain. He allowed his advisors to run his campaign in a negative, divisive way. Last night was the real McCain, gracious yet honest. Had he been that way the entire campaign, instead of allowing race baiting and personal attacks, this may have ended differently for him.

11. mr. D

*keep an eye on Russia for us Gov.

12. HH

Hey hey good bye

13. Al, NY NY

hey Chip. She deserved to be scrutinized as much as she was. And that scrutiny exposed an ill-prepared zealot who had no appeal to anyone except the bible-thumping lemmings that run the party. Good bye Sara, hope to never see your lipstick and pathetic winks ever again!!

14. Aaron from New York

I'm glad she isn't thinking about running in 2012 – Obama might be the first unanimous Presidential choice.

She needs to stay in AK and keep running her little corner of the world.

15. Andy

I voted Obama and certainly wasn't a fan of Palin but now is the time to stop worrying about all of this. We should all step out of our partisan boxes that we've been stuck in for 2 years and look at what she and everyone else is saying, its time to come together.

16. Thomas

Doggone it, Governor! You could have fit in a shout-out for the 3rd graders at Podunk Elementary School, but you blew it.

17. Obamafan

Chip,

Yes she is a govenor, but her inability to complete a thought via sentence is still and will be forever baffling. No, it is not her fault that she was muzzled. Common sense, however, is a given (either you have it or you don't).
    Btw, I am not in a cubicle (and I have no worries of being "caught" by the boss) but I am sitting in my office with a two window view, reading the "ticker" and relieved that Sarah is going back to Alaska to play "Govenor Palin".

18. MattyB!

I like Sarah Palin just fine, but she is NOT qualified to hold any national office. She did cost McCain for sure, thankfully so. But I expect we will see her again. Maybe between now and then she can try to learn a lot more about the world so that she will be more than "GW Bush in a skirt" which is what she is now.

19. Brian

We'll never know whose child Trig is now that she is going to fade back into obscurity without having released her medical records.

November 5, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  20. Manny

Nice try Debby...give it up.

November 5, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  21. kelly

I hope that the biased media gets off Sarah's back. Continuing their attacks on her are pointless.

Sarah Palin is a fine American, a stellar example to young women all over the world and proof that you can be in power without being an ogre.

November 5, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  22. Sarah who?

Hurry now. You don't want to miss your flight back to Alaska.

November 5, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  23. big daddy

OH DEBBY....WHAT ROCK DO YOU LIVE UNDER ?

November 5, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  24. B from VA

I would rather have had an inexperienced Vice President than an inexperienced President.

But, it happened, the scare tactics won. We made it through 8 years of Clinton who reaped the benefits of his prior administration's hard work... we can make it through this Obama-nation as well.

November 5, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  25. Bill Klewitz, Albany, Georgia

You need to stay in the frozen tundra, because when your mouth thaws out, it doesn't know what it's saying. But you're a maverick; BANG BANG...

November 5, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |