November 5th, 2008

Palin: 'Cannot even imagine' 2012 bid

Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.
Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.

(CNN) -- Hours after John McCain and Sarah Palin conceded defeat to Barack Obama, the Alaska governor told CNN she can't imagine running for the top job herself in 2012.

"Right now I cannot even imagine running for national office in 2012," she told CNN's Dana Bash. "When I say that, of course, coming on the heels of an outcome that I did not anticipate and had not hoped for. But this being a chapter now that is closed and realizing that it is a time to unite and all Americans need to get together and help with this new administration being ushered in."

Watch: 'Chapter now closed,' Palin says

Bash caught up with Palin and her husband Todd in the Phoenix Biltmore - the site of John McCain's concession speech Tuesday night.

"2012 sounds so far off that can't even imagine what I'd be doing then," Palin also said.

Palin also denied the suggestion her presence on the GOP ticket contributed to Obama's electoral landslide victory.

"I don't think anybody should give Sarah Palin that much credit, that I would trump an economic time in this nation that occurred about two months ago, that my presence on the ticket would trump the economic crisis that America found itself in a couple of months ago and attribute John McCain's loss to me," she said.

"Now having said that, if I cost John McCain even one vote, I am sorry about that because John McCain, I believe, is the American hero. I had believed it was his time," she added.

Exit polls suggest that voting blocs McCain advisers had hoped Palin would attract - suburban woman and independent voters — strongly supported Barack Obama. Exit polls also suggested over 60 percent of the electorate thought the Alaska governor was unqualified to be president if necessary. But the overwhelming issue among voters did appear to be the nation's economy, not McCain’s vice presidential pick - 85 percent of voters said they were worried about the nation's financial woes, and 54 percent of them picked Obama.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. AB

"Right now I cannot even imagine running for national office in 2012,"

Good – I hope we never again hear the name "Sarah Palin".

November 5, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  2. Jim L.

Is this woman capable of stringing words together to make a complete, coherent sentence? Please go back to Alaska, Sarah, and just disappear forever. Please.

November 5, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  3. Michael

I am an Obama supporter, however, I feel sorry for Sarah Palin. She in no way cost the election for John McCain. John McCain cost the election for himself.

November 5, 2008 01:40 pm at 1:40 pm |
  4. S Callahan

Yes Sarah you did cost him some votes but for me it was the mockery made of those in faith, which I take very serious. I'm sure you do have a future and potential in politics and with years you will gain the national knowledge necessary so I wish you the best for the future.
    Sen. John McCain is a decent, fine, man and at times I was torn about my loyatly to him vs Presidential elect Obama so I wish him God's speed into the future. Truthfully though, it didn't matter what the two of you did. Everything has it's time and place in history, and this time it was God move to push all of us mortals forward. This is a Win Win for everyone.

5. Kerry

Integrity? hmmm.... I suppose if lying about your opponent constitutes integrity then yes, I can see integrity.

6. Donna

It is sad thet people that know nothing about her hate her because she is a Republican. I heard people talk about her lack of experience, will someone tell me what experience Obama has, because I can't see where he has ever run anything other than a community project.

Thanks goodness the race is over and for those of us that supported McCain/Palin we will continue to go to work every day and hope for the best.

7. Christina

I really appreciate that she added this, "...it is a time to unite and all Americans need to get together and help with this new administration being ushered in."

I certainly hope she means that, because I think some of her fans will need to hear it more than once in order to get over the sting of defeat and move forward.

8. justobserve

Do people see Todd Palin's face when McCain thanked his wife? He didn't have the grace to smile and acknowledge it; he just looked unmoved, or even annoyed. This highschool graduate and a shadow Governor of his governor wife really has an attitude!

9. userid

Palin is an idiot. Goodbye and good riddance!

10. Charlie Bradley

Although I did not vote for John McCain, let me say that my decision was made up of three components: First and foremost was the George W. Bush factor, secondly was the way he himself conducted his campaign...a constant state of disarray and switching modes, his voting record in the senate which I checked. And of course there was the Palin factor. I Don't hate her, I just feel she's a little too wet behind the ears to be Vice President, and would have very likely became President given McCain's age and what I know about the actuary tables.

Take some time to home your craft, Sarah, and I MIGHT, emphasis on MIGHT, be persuaded to vote for you in 12

11. SS

Calling Obama a "terrorist" and "marxist" doesn't sound much like integrity to me.

12. Survival of the Fittest

You are as pathetic as Sarah Palin, Debbie. You can join her and see Russia from her front porch in Alaska. Don't let the door hit you in your behind, Debbie. For the rest of us, we will answer the call and join hand to build a better tomorrow for our kids. So help me God, Amen.

13. Dan in Akron, Ohio

I don't think Palin is an idiot, I just thinks she plays one on TV. I do think she is a schemer and manipulator who would have done anything to get into office. Her behavior during this election has made me ashamed to claim her as a sister in Christ. She makes real Christians look bad. I think she should go back to Alaska to sink back into obscurity/oblivion. That's all I have to say about that.

14. TT

If Sarah Palin goes back to Alaska and is never heard from again, it will be too soon. But if the GOP wants to continue her mutation into their presidential nominee for 2012, she does have 4 years to work on her sentence formation and correct use of vocabulary.

15. Proud American

You cost him thousands of votes! Mine included!!

But God works in mysterious ways and right now, I am soo proud of having voted for Obama, that i really could careless for the reason that made me switch over to him in the first place
    Palin was put on the stump for a reason – and that is:

To open the eyes of many blind Americans who couldn't see the value and true substance in Obama just because of race and hate!!

I'm one of those people! I am ashamed of having doubted Obama and soo very proud of having voted for him!

So i think she did her job very well!!

16. Lee

I only have one question remaining. Is Sarah Palin the type of person the Republican party wants leading them from this day forward?

17. BC

Now that this is all over, I kinda feel sorry for her. I still don't trust her at all and I continue to be amazed at her sentence structure, but I hope everything settles down again and she has a nice life. But, have we heard the last of Sarah Palin...?

November 5, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  18. lisa m

Sarah you cost John McCain at least one vote.

Mine.

November 5, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  19. Jim M

The media tried every which way to trash this woman. But she was the only breath of fresh air in the entire election process she is the real American story she didn't have the silver spoon or the handouts from all the radicals that Senator Obama had on his rise to power. The only reason I voted for McCain was because of Sarah Palin and I know quite a few people who voted for the same reason. I sincerely hope she runs in 2012 because after the next 4 years of socialism this nation is going to be in desperate need of a real leader.

November 5, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  20. Janelle

Chip, if Sarah Palin is getting attitude and hate from bloggers, it's because those people have had to listen to her spew hate and lies in order to make them afraid of Obama.

I always tell my children that they have to earn respect. Sarah Palin had many choices in this election as far as how she conducted herself and how she has portrayed her accomplishments and her integrity. Her choices were very bad in many cases and she did not earn respect. Every candidate was ravaged by the press, but Obama conducted himself in a way that earned Americans respect.

November 5, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  21. rindy

She is great person. I hope she will run for president in 2012.

November 5, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  22. Ajax

I'm an Alaskan and my hope is that no one else can imagine her running in 2012 either. She is the worst of any type of politician who will say or do anything to win. She lied about every so-called achievement and was found suspect of ethics violations in the Troopergate scandal. Next up, expect her to be censured by the state legislature and a recall petition to be started.

November 5, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  23. 30-m-PA-Democrat-voted McCain

This IS a sad day in America. Using part of Michelle Obama's quote, "For the first time in my adult lifetime I'm ashamed of my country." Obama shouldn't have been the nominee and shouldn't be president. He used race in the primaries against Clinton and then against McCain. He's got too many radical friends. He is not my president, that's for sure.

November 5, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  24. Youcostthisone

Dear Gov. Palin,

I was completely undecided between McCain and Obama after the primaries. When Sen. McCain selected you as his running mate, I became a volunteer for Obama (the first time I ever volunteered in a campaign) and donated often to his campaign. My mother, who is disabled, was unable to volunteer but also donated to Obama's campaign.

Our decision was entirely based on your candidacy. You have not seen or learned enough about this country or world to take on a leadership role and the fact that you cannot recognize this fact is beyond incomprehensible.

How about staying in Alaska and trying to get your daughters to finish school, huh? Try that first, first.

November 5, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  25. Stephanie

Please don't return Sarah. Go back to Alaska and stay there. Your kind of politics isn't welcome here. We need solutions and a bi-partisan effort. You offered only lies and attacks, and you offered nothing of substance.

November 5, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |