November 5th, 2008

Palin: 'Cannot even imagine' 2012 bid

Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.
Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.

(CNN) -- Hours after John McCain and Sarah Palin conceded defeat to Barack Obama, the Alaska governor told CNN she can't imagine running for the top job herself in 2012.

"Right now I cannot even imagine running for national office in 2012," she told CNN's Dana Bash. "When I say that, of course, coming on the heels of an outcome that I did not anticipate and had not hoped for. But this being a chapter now that is closed and realizing that it is a time to unite and all Americans need to get together and help with this new administration being ushered in."

Watch: 'Chapter now closed,' Palin says

Bash caught up with Palin and her husband Todd in the Phoenix Biltmore - the site of John McCain's concession speech Tuesday night.

"2012 sounds so far off that can't even imagine what I'd be doing then," Palin also said.

Palin also denied the suggestion her presence on the GOP ticket contributed to Obama's electoral landslide victory.

"I don't think anybody should give Sarah Palin that much credit, that I would trump an economic time in this nation that occurred about two months ago, that my presence on the ticket would trump the economic crisis that America found itself in a couple of months ago and attribute John McCain's loss to me," she said.

"Now having said that, if I cost John McCain even one vote, I am sorry about that because John McCain, I believe, is the American hero. I had believed it was his time," she added.

Exit polls suggest that voting blocs McCain advisers had hoped Palin would attract - suburban woman and independent voters — strongly supported Barack Obama. Exit polls also suggested over 60 percent of the electorate thought the Alaska governor was unqualified to be president if necessary. But the overwhelming issue among voters did appear to be the nation's economy, not McCain’s vice presidential pick - 85 percent of voters said they were worried about the nation's financial woes, and 54 percent of them picked Obama.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Frank

Debby,
    It's over. Stop crying and hurling insults. It's time to put the nation first, the country first and work together. Both the liberal and conservative media are guilty of mocking candidates on both sides. So there's no need to still attack President Obama. H's the elect Commander and Chief of the United States of America, not blue or red America.

November 5, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  2. Stephanie

Maggie

It is your kind of mentality, centered on hatred and personal attacks on those that don't share your opinions, that divides this country

November 5, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  3. Joe the Troll

The media didn't treat her any worse than the other candidates. She made HERSELF look bad.

November 5, 2008 01:42 pm at 1:42 pm |
  4. DB

She is the female Dan Quayle.

5. Matt

People like Debby were the target audience for Mccain choosing Palin.

6. Sick Of The Machine

She's not going very far, she's going to appoint herself senator of alaska when Stevens gets kicked out. We need to keep an eye on her, she's very dangerous. Hopefully she'll self destruct like the rest of her party.

7. Michael

Already, even in these few postings, we see who the haters are. They are liberals, intolerant of a .viewpoint that does not conform to theirs. They love call Republicans "idiots" "pathetic liars" or just about anything as well go down the IQ laddeer.

I voted for a hero and a gentleman. Senator Obama's ideas are dangerous, in my view, but he won the nomination of his party, he is my president, I shall never stoop to the ad hominem attacks that seem to language of liberals.

Senator McCain, the most gracious of men, gave a beautiful speech that we should go forward without rancor. I suspect some of you people will be unable to do that. It must take a geat deal of psychic energy to be so self righteous, so intolerant, and so angry.

8. change is in the air

oh yea, she cost him BIG TIME!! not that i think he would have had a shot if he had had someone else...but she did NOTHING to help that man out.

9. Pam Holt Los Angeles, CA

Even though countless Republicans have said they couldn't vote for McCain with her onthe ticket, she is still in denial. The country should be grateful to her for making sure Obama got elected.

I think she's much better suited for comedy than being in charge of anything.

I'm just sad for all the animals she will have more time to murder now.

10. Robert Latta

Every VP candidate on a losing ticket has had no future on any national ticket.

Edwards, Lieberman, Kemp, Quayle, Bensten.

Hopefully, the same will happen to Sarah Palin.
    One celebrity said there is a lot less to this woman than meets the eye.

11. Kenneth

She put herself in the position and made herself the subject of mockery. If Obama done anything that the media could have picked up on, they would have run with it. So, y'all who are whining need to get over it and think about if the shoe was on the other foot. Stop with the false concerns about her honor.

And Chip, get back to work!

12. Bobby

Please stay in Alaska.....don't let her out again....I think she is a real detriment to anything or anyone that gets involved with her....I feel sorry for McCain, but thank goodness he didn't win and give her an opportunity to become president if something unfortunate happened to him.

13. John

I am glad to see her leave. She was not qualified for VP or president. What a bad attempt at getting Cinton's votes. I would have voted for him if she was not there and Romney was!

14. Courtney

She gave it a good fight... But, in the end, America wanted CHANGE.. And we got it! So lets all come together so our country can become the prosperous country it once was!

15. logic

she's not an idiot she's just not a good choice for vp bad timing plus she was not up to date with much of the topics and I don't work in a cubicle maybe I should so the guy before won't look like palin

16. Monica

I beg to differ. Obama ran a clean campaign. McCain and Palin chose to go negative and Palin was the pit bull spreading hate and lies. That, to me, is not integrity.

November 5, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  17. LLN

Sarah Palin its time to go home, those who supported her- well off you go too! Debby- you think she has more integrity than Obama? Well guess what lady, I think you judgement is askew! McCain and Palin got what they deserve- a weak percentage of the electoral votes and a big loss in front of the whole world. The republicans are in for it now, no more will they say they agree with the american people and than do the exact opposite, its the Dems time, and I truely believe that Barak Obama is the person America needs to pull us out of the deep holes that GW and Cheney have been actively digging for the past 8 years.

November 5, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  18. anonymous

I am sorry John McCain. You are a hero. I would have voted for you hands down had you chosen so many others. In the end I just couldn't take a chance on putting Palin in a position of so much importance. In the end I had to consider who might be "waiting in the wings" and Biden won hands down with me. Palin's talk of "say it ain't so. . .joe sixpack. . .dogonnit" etc. just really turned me off considering the level of professionalism she will be expected to show.

November 5, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  19. WINK WINK

Debby please... get on the plane and go with them back to Alaska!!!

November 5, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  20. jo

Leave her a lone.
    I am a Dem and I hate to see how they tear people down in this country. I know she was guilty of it too.

Let her go in peace. Being the Gov of Alaska will not help her in the national stage.

November 5, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  21. Cindy

People, it's time for everyone to just come together as one nation and work hard to make it better. I am glad that Obama won. I was rooting for him, but I also like the fact that McCain, who I believe in an American hero and loves this country, will always be trying to help this country. We need to put our differences aside and just worry about making this country better for everyone, especially for future generations. We are, above all, Americans.

November 5, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  22. wiscon

She is what gave McCain a fighting chance. It was the base that came together and got behind her. Remember that there were 55 million votes for McCain. I voted for her, not him. Obama better come to the center or it will be a quick 4 years. Let's see if he keeps his word. I know he'll keep his word on raising taxes. Let her get another 4 years of experience and we'll see you then.

November 5, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  23. Hanna, MI

Thank you, Sarah, for your courage during the constant attacks against from the leftist media. Writing as a former Democrat who is pro-life but now an Independent, I applaud your pro-life positions and praise you for living them.

Thank you for showing all Americans that supporting women's rights doesn't mean one has to embrace the culture of death so prominent in the Democratic Party.

God bless you and good luck!

November 5, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  24. Axel

Thank god all mighty we don't have that gay bashing, book burning, wolf killing hate machine as vp. Integrity my foot, when asked about all this she lied..... not very vp worthy

November 5, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  25. rindy

Obama/Biden pathetic socialist liar!

November 5, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |