November 5th, 2008

Palin: 'Cannot even imagine' 2012 bid

Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.
Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.

(CNN) -- Hours after John McCain and Sarah Palin conceded defeat to Barack Obama, the Alaska governor told CNN she can't imagine running for the top job herself in 2012.

"Right now I cannot even imagine running for national office in 2012," she told CNN's Dana Bash. "When I say that, of course, coming on the heels of an outcome that I did not anticipate and had not hoped for. But this being a chapter now that is closed and realizing that it is a time to unite and all Americans need to get together and help with this new administration being ushered in."

Watch: 'Chapter now closed,' Palin says

Bash caught up with Palin and her husband Todd in the Phoenix Biltmore - the site of John McCain's concession speech Tuesday night.

"2012 sounds so far off that can't even imagine what I'd be doing then," Palin also said.

Palin also denied the suggestion her presence on the GOP ticket contributed to Obama's electoral landslide victory.

"I don't think anybody should give Sarah Palin that much credit, that I would trump an economic time in this nation that occurred about two months ago, that my presence on the ticket would trump the economic crisis that America found itself in a couple of months ago and attribute John McCain's loss to me," she said.

"Now having said that, if I cost John McCain even one vote, I am sorry about that because John McCain, I believe, is the American hero. I had believed it was his time," she added.

Exit polls suggest that voting blocs McCain advisers had hoped Palin would attract - suburban woman and independent voters — strongly supported Barack Obama. Exit polls also suggested over 60 percent of the electorate thought the Alaska governor was unqualified to be president if necessary. But the overwhelming issue among voters did appear to be the nation's economy, not McCain’s vice presidential pick - 85 percent of voters said they were worried about the nation's financial woes, and 54 percent of them picked Obama.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Chuck

I don't believe she was 'ravaged' by the press, unless asking her questions is inherently unfair. She was and is unqualified, and I believe that fact contributed greatly to McCain's loss. His choosing her was seen for exactly what it was: a calculating and cynical ploy to grab Hillary Clinton supporters.
    It's not her fault that she is unqualified, but McCain's for unfairly plucking her out of obscurity when he should have know she was out of her league.

November 5, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  2. voted obama

she does deserve some credit for her accomplishments. I feel the GOP did her a disservice, by bringing her into something that was over her head. she did not have the qualifications or the experience to be 2nd in command in worse case scenario, chief and commander. I hope this is something that she can reflect on and learn from this experience as to what she would need to learn and more to accomplish before bidding for the top of the ticket. I hope some day we see a woman break the barrier and become a President. someday that would happen, but that woman better be qualified to do so and hold her own, I just don't think Sarah Palin was the one at this time. Best of luck to her in her future. I myself am a woman and am looking forward to the day when a woman can make history like Barack Obama did last night. Congrats to Obama and Biden and let's prove to everyone that you do have what it takes to turn this country around....Best of luck.

Obama/Biden supporter 08

November 5, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  3. Brian from Fort Mill, SC

Debby November 5th, 2008 1:28 pm ET

The media mocked her, but this woman has more integrity than Obama/Biden put together
    ---------------–
    With all due respect, she couldn't even tell a reporter which newspapers she reads!

November 5, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  4. Darrell

For once I have to agree with Sarah.It was not entirely her fault that they lost.She did what she was suppose to do by going out and lying to the public and getting the base to believe her. Thats all she could have done.There was not much of a chance that she would sway any true dems or independents.McCain has to take most of the blame here. He let the republicans run the show and it was a horror show at best.It was a very unprofessional, wishy wash campaign.With all that said who really believed that Americans were about to reward republicans for a job well done in past eight years.Most of the world is overwhelmingly happy that Obama got the win, now if Americans can take this and make something of it , then it truly will be the best decision made in many years.

November 5, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  5. Marc PDX

She's the poster child for the liberal haters. I think they've probably chased her away. Congratulations Dems! You own it all now. We'll be watching to see how many of the promises are fulfilled and how it works out. Just tell me how much I owe you now.

November 5, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  6. Rich giles

After 4 years of a marxist we will beg for palin go palin 2012

November 5, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  7. wakeupamerica

Bye bye Sarah!

November 5, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  8. Scott NYC Independent

Here is the lady that said "I have nothing to loose by attacking Obama". We would like you to now respectfully at President-elect to that name and in two months Mr. President would do fine. Still need government approval for that Alaskan pipe line that goes through federal land.....

November 5, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  9. Charm

Palin's 15 minutes of fame are over! :)

November 5, 2008 01:44 pm at 1:44 pm |
  10. Cindy

People, it's time for everyone to just come together as one nation and work hard to make it better. I am glad that Obama won. I was rooting for him, but I also like the fact that McCain, who I believe is an American hero and loves this country, will always be trying to help this country. We need to put our differences aside and just worry about making this country better for everyone, especially for future generations. We are, above all, Americans.

11. Brett Perry

Good bye Sarah Palin... Good bye. Please take your followers with you!

12. Anonymous

I am glad Palin had the good sense to realize that God would make sure the best person won.Thank God we "real" Americans rejected your narrow minded,hate-filled divisive rhetoric. Go back to Alaska and if we never see you again that is too soon.

13. Leonard

Let's face it. She BOMBED the interviews. The media did not make her look dumb. They were asking simple questions about someone who was running for an office that is one heartbeat away from the presidency. Anyone who claims the Katie Couric interview as biased and a set up needs to get a grip.

And, as if that were not bad enought, she speweed hateful, divisive rhetoric from the stump.

This chapter of American history is over – Bush, McCain, Palin, Cheney, Gonzalez, Rumsfeld, Rice. Wrapping lies in a flag and calling it patriotisim. Pitting us all against each other. All of it... over. Good riddance to the hateful, divisive gargabe that these people delivered during the past 8 years.

14. prouseuropean

I sincerely hope that we have seen the last of Sarah Palin in National elections. She proved to be narrow-minded, smug, an ignorant anti-intellectual and even proud of it. Slandering her competitors with malice. Unworthy of any elective office and a disgrace as a representative of the Republican party.

15. Michael Morrison

McCain would have lost no matter who his running mate was. It isn't Palin's fault. I didn't vote for Obama, but I congratulate him and I hope he does well.

16. Mike

Note to Chip: so you're obviously NOT updating the ticker on company time and hoping the boss doesn't catch you, right?

17. Kidding Me Right?

America!!! Sarah Palin is a great example of the problem with our education system!!!!! This woman continues to surprise me to no end....no intellect....and the nerve to attack in the most horrific and vile way. How can anyone entertain the thought President Palin...please stop the madness!!!

18. Rennie

So long... fairwell.. don't come back around in 2012.

I was undecided between McCain and Obama. I still needed more information. The moment I heard Palin speak and I started learning more about her, I knew I would vote for Obama. She did hurt McCain's campaign for me and I am sure many others. Was it the main reason he lost? Who knows, but she was a negative spot that cannot be denied.

19. Shawn

It is safe to put lipstick on a pig again?

20. Harry

Please run in 2012 Sarah- that will all but guarantee another Obama term. Besides it will take 8 amazing years to dig out of the mess caused by the latest Republican nightmare.

hey Chip- you're the idiot.

21. Jason

if by cost votes you mean lost votes and by thousands you mean millions, then yes, I agree with you.

22. NC Schmakt

I considered voting for McCain... until he picked Palin.

Honestly, I still probably would have gone for Obama, but the Palin pick locked it in.

November 5, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  23. Roofin Reality, Houston, Tx.

Sarah Palin is a very attractive (physically) person and that helps in the political arena, just like it does in sales and entertainment.
    But the Couric interviews told me that she doesn't have a lot of substance. To not remember the Exxon Valdez fine being reduced by the Supreme Court, just a few months previously, leaves me with the impression that she either a) shrinks up with any sense of complication or b) and more likely due to her continuing pushing of getting Trooper Wooten fired, she doesn't know anything and has no curiosity.
    Her mean-spirited attacks on Obama, regarding Ayres relationship specifically, really bother me and played right into the person some have painted on her. That is, an opportunist who will savage those who've helped her if that in turn gets her into a better position.

Just remember – all those indies in the middle were turned off by her.

24. Go Away

Look, when Palin was chosen Republicans got all excited. Than y'all found out that she didn't know anything. Obama just beat McCain like he stole something, and Palin being on the ticket ended up not helping McCain at all. Look at the States that McCain won. He could have won these States with Joe The Plumber on his ticket.

25. Josh

Debby,

She has more integrity?? Reports are coming out this morning that she spent MUCH more then 150K on clothes, even buying clothes for the entire family. As her aides are now submitting other charges for large spending sprees, it looks like she had dollar signs in her eyes. Now some of the clothes have gone "missing".

Palin can claim to be not part of Washington but she is truly a politician. I hope she fades away and is remembered as a joke.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16