November 5th, 2008

Palin: 'Cannot even imagine' 2012 bid

Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.
Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.

(CNN) -- Hours after John McCain and Sarah Palin conceded defeat to Barack Obama, the Alaska governor told CNN she can't imagine running for the top job herself in 2012.

"Right now I cannot even imagine running for national office in 2012," she told CNN's Dana Bash. "When I say that, of course, coming on the heels of an outcome that I did not anticipate and had not hoped for. But this being a chapter now that is closed and realizing that it is a time to unite and all Americans need to get together and help with this new administration being ushered in."

Watch: 'Chapter now closed,' Palin says

Bash caught up with Palin and her husband Todd in the Phoenix Biltmore - the site of John McCain's concession speech Tuesday night.

"2012 sounds so far off that can't even imagine what I'd be doing then," Palin also said.

Palin also denied the suggestion her presence on the GOP ticket contributed to Obama's electoral landslide victory.

"I don't think anybody should give Sarah Palin that much credit, that I would trump an economic time in this nation that occurred about two months ago, that my presence on the ticket would trump the economic crisis that America found itself in a couple of months ago and attribute John McCain's loss to me," she said.

"Now having said that, if I cost John McCain even one vote, I am sorry about that because John McCain, I believe, is the American hero. I had believed it was his time," she added.

Exit polls suggest that voting blocs McCain advisers had hoped Palin would attract - suburban woman and independent voters — strongly supported Barack Obama. Exit polls also suggested over 60 percent of the electorate thought the Alaska governor was unqualified to be president if necessary. But the overwhelming issue among voters did appear to be the nation's economy, not McCain’s vice presidential pick - 85 percent of voters said they were worried about the nation's financial woes, and 54 percent of them picked Obama.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. susan

Palin this was clearly not your time and being a VP was way over your league

November 5, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  2. Jeff from Canada

More integrity than Obama/Biden put together? I am most happy to report that the majority of voting Americans saw the Integrity and Ethic that the Obama/Biden ticket brought to the presidential race. Congraulations US ! Great pick!

November 5, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  3. Joe Santini

My best wishes to Sarah Palin and good riddance. She thought she had a chance. She returns to Alaska and soon will be back to her work and taking care of this great State and will be forgotten. However, I say: YES WE CAN and VIVA Obama!!! In the not so "pro-America" region of California.

November 5, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  4. Mike

Didn't anticipate?

Ok, every politician should expect to go into a race with the idea that they could lose. Especially in a race that had all the indicators that McCain/Palin would lose weeks ago.

The RCP poll of polls had Obama consistantly ahead for three weeks.

How can she not have anticipated losing?

November 5, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  5. Ken

To all Obama supporters. Your man won...be happy and let go of the hate.

November 5, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  6. Clotheshorse

Which thrift store is getting THE clothes?

November 5, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  7. Tammy

Well...his plan back fired. Thinking he would bring Palin in to get Hilary Clinton's votes...she is NO Hillary Clinton!

November 5, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  8. Svanbasten, Atlanta

Mine is to say – you were used as a pawn and since you agreed and did it very diligently – am made to think that you really believed that Obama is a bad guy and that you were the good & patriotic guys.

You look like a nice person and mother – Fade away to Alaska and just do you, Ms Palin..

Just do you. Forget 2012....

November 5, 2008 01:45 pm at 1:45 pm |
  9. Excited in Los Angeles, CA

This woman has to be one of the most inarticulate and unintelligent politicians in the vast history of America!

America has spoken!

WELCOME PRESIDENT BARACK OBAMA!!!!!

Obama '08 and '12!

10. Dan Anderson

Maggie from Va- Don't you think it's time to show a little grace here in victory?

Your vehemence is palpable- and immature. Maybe our collective focus should move to solving our many problems. And we'd do well to remember that our current problems were created by both parties. Bush will soon be gone, and there will be no excuses for not moving ahead.

11. John

Hey Chip, unlike the haters that booed Obama's name when Mcain conceded in Phoenix. Look in the mirror buddy.

12. Linda

I am surprise she want to work with Obama. In her thinking would that not make her a terrorist, socialist....

She obviously does not believe her own rhetoric. However, those of us in Pennsylvania clearly heard her stances – over and over. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to feel bad for her.

13. Wayne

Sarah...I voted for you and am proud of my vote. Your high moral standards are something we should all strive for but after this election I see "good morals" are not a part of our life any longer. You did a great job. Keep your spirits high as their is a high spirit that is proud of you and I am talking about that wonderful "God" we have. God Bless you and keep you.

14. Riaz

How do You intend to give the expensive clothes to charity? I want to see a charity that takes expensive clothes.. what do they do.. auction and feed the poor..!!! who will buy that.... common... do that first before you think about 2012... cnn ask her about her clothes to charity program!!!!

15. Geneva, Seattle

She probably didn't vote for McCain...

16. Amanda

now she can go back to Alaska...Yay!!

17. Debbie

I felt sorry for Sarah Palin all along. I guess we will never know why she accepted McCain's offer, but I suspect that she found herself in over her head immediately. In spite of that she held up ok. What I didn't like about her is her divisive speeches and playing on people's fears. I think she should go back to Alaska with her family, welcome her grandchild and forget this whole episode. I promise I will forget her quite easily.

18. Dallas, tx

Hold off on the vitriolic comments! Read Obama's speech from last night about inclusiveness and bringing the country together and think before you write your comments. In my personal opinion, I thought Palin was underprepared for leading our country and am disappointed at the incoherence in many of her comments (like above). However, both McCain and Obama emphasized last night the need for nonpartisanship to move the country forward. Half of the country voted for McCain and Palin. That does not make them bad people! They just clearly had different opinions than I did. Obama cannot achieve anything without also understanding the views and opinions of the people who voted for McCain and Palin. It won't help to heap on more hate. Please, no more Palin and McCain bashing!

19. Brian from Fort Mill, SC

Chip November 5th, 2008 1:30 pm ET

I hope folks can contain their attitudes and hate on this one. After all, she IS a governor and got there pretty much on her own. She was ravaged by the press trying to make her look as bad as they possibly could, folks need to lay off.
    ---------------------–
    She was ravaged by the press because she wasn't vetted. That's John McCain's fault.

Since she was new, they were bound to ask a ton of questions. When she refused to do interviews, that just made it worse.

Put the blame where it belongs.

20. EJ

Keep your eyes on Gov Bobby Jindal (R) LA. He's the man for 2012

21. Kiah G.

You betcha gosh darn it Sarahcuda will be back. *wink*

LOSER!

Now back to reading articles about President-elect Obama.

November 5, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  22. O & Joe '08!!!

Debby, you obviously slept for weeks and missed the controversy regarding how Palin handled her brother-in-law.

I suppose MANY anti-Palin higher-ups in the Alaska govt. forsaw her VP candidacy MONTHS before she was selected, and conspired against her by conjuring up a bogus controversy?? PLEASE!!!

And as for integrity, the American people clearly answered that question last evening: If you run for national office, bring something more to the table than attack ads and smear tactics. Bring your game, not mud.

November 5, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  23. Uncle John in NC

Chip and Debby...typical names for McCain / Palin voters. I see you carry on the same type of negativity and division that caused your ticket to collapse...second to not being qualified to run a competitive campaign. I own my own company...I'm in the bracket to pay the tax code standards of the 90's and I'm proud to be an Agent of Change within the new Obama / Biden Administration.

Palin, Integrity ? Blind leading the blind again..... amazing how she hand picks a committe to investigate her office ethics....what a joke. Furthermore, she kept her kids out of school for 2+ months to exploit them on the campaign trail. Obama's girls were back in school this morning and havent missed many school days during this entire process – thats integrity, character and commitment to family.

I cant believe I wasted my time addressing this ignorance in the first place....but I did.

Obama / Biden 08, 09, 10, 11, 12

November 5, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  24. Debbie in Missouri

I think she is probably a nice person, but I was disappointed by the way she handled herself at her rallies and on national network shows.

She was not ready or poised enough for the national stage.

I wish her the best and hope she develops her political talents if she chooses to join the national political stage in the future.

Thank You America !

God bless America !

November 5, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  25. political junkie

"Can't even imagine a 2012 bid" ?

ME EITHER !!!!!!!

The buzz is she may be better suited to a talk show -
    ala Jerry Springer....