November 5th, 2008

Palin: 'Cannot even imagine' 2012 bid

Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.
Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.

(CNN) -- Hours after John McCain and Sarah Palin conceded defeat to Barack Obama, the Alaska governor told CNN she can't imagine running for the top job herself in 2012.

"Right now I cannot even imagine running for national office in 2012," she told CNN's Dana Bash. "When I say that, of course, coming on the heels of an outcome that I did not anticipate and had not hoped for. But this being a chapter now that is closed and realizing that it is a time to unite and all Americans need to get together and help with this new administration being ushered in."

Watch: 'Chapter now closed,' Palin says

Bash caught up with Palin and her husband Todd in the Phoenix Biltmore - the site of John McCain's concession speech Tuesday night.

"2012 sounds so far off that can't even imagine what I'd be doing then," Palin also said.

Palin also denied the suggestion her presence on the GOP ticket contributed to Obama's electoral landslide victory.

"I don't think anybody should give Sarah Palin that much credit, that I would trump an economic time in this nation that occurred about two months ago, that my presence on the ticket would trump the economic crisis that America found itself in a couple of months ago and attribute John McCain's loss to me," she said.

"Now having said that, if I cost John McCain even one vote, I am sorry about that because John McCain, I believe, is the American hero. I had believed it was his time," she added.

Exit polls suggest that voting blocs McCain advisers had hoped Palin would attract - suburban woman and independent voters — strongly supported Barack Obama. Exit polls also suggested over 60 percent of the electorate thought the Alaska governor was unqualified to be president if necessary. But the overwhelming issue among voters did appear to be the nation's economy, not McCain’s vice presidential pick - 85 percent of voters said they were worried about the nation's financial woes, and 54 percent of them picked Obama.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Matt

The press didn't make her look bad. She made herself look bad.

This kind of folksy crap may work for Alaska, but it doesn't work for America. My roommate is a republican who loved McCain in 2000, but he voted for Obama because of Palin, so there's at least one vote she cost him!

November 5, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  2. Sue

Good... neither can we.

November 5, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  3. GA Independent

It's wonderful that she's headed back to Alaska. The only thing that makes me really nervous is that 46% of the people in this country had no problem voting for someone with her ugly beliefs and the venomous stuff that came out of her mouth.

Just think about that for awhile...

November 5, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  4. Trin

It's easy to feel melancholy and all reconciliatory after such an historic night last night – but that shouldn't let the facts be smothered. Unfortunately for her – Gov. Palin *was* a drag on McCain's ticket. That isn't HER fault – not by a long shot. McCain seriously needs to be talking to the people who were advising him in the Aug-Sept portions of this race, and to the people who advised him that picking such an underqualified VP would be a GOOD thing.

Personally I am glad that Gov. Palin didn't end up being the next VP – her views are very very different from mine. But she doesn't deserve to be the ridicule of the nation, either.

November 5, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  5. cindy

Integrity?...when did she ever exhibit that? When she was trashing everyone around her, people who've made this country their business? When she was shopping in Neiman Marcus? When she went off record and "forgot" to promote McCain? Even if I'm not a McCain supporter, there are many moments where he was respectable and conducted himself like the maverick he used to be all the time. He stood up to his own supporters even. THAT is integrity.

The Press didnt need to TRY to make her look bad...her interviews speak for themselves. This woman never had a original thought on this ticket much less her life. The McCains are better off without her and I'm sure they're glad to be rid of her.

November 5, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  6. lizzings

Sarah Palin is far more intelligent than all of you who down her. She was elected as Governor which is more than what you're probably doing right now isn't it? What are you doing? Sitting in a cubicle thumbing through articles on the internet while shuffling through your boring office day is probably what you're doing so unless you're someone who managed to run and gain a political office of such a high stature the shut up. Have respect for the woman.

November 5, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  7. Teri

The one surprising thing to me in this election is the absolute venom that WOMEN have against Sarah Palin. Pathetic... I doubt we'll ever elect a woman to high office unless she fits the "feminist" views (abortion, little or no religion, etc). Palin was too conservative for many women.

November 5, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  8. ksawdey

tina fey 2012!!!

November 5, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  9. EDW

REALLY??????!!!!!!!!! Palin didn't think she contributed to McCain's downfall? Obviously, she's too stupid to even know that. I WAS a McCain supporter until Palin got on the ticket. She's the most idiotic person to run for the 2nd highest public office in this nation. Those die-hard Republican morons who comments that they are thinking about moving to Canada, my suggestion is, "Don't think, just do it!" If you cannot live with this new leadership, GET OUT! If you prefer not to be an American, GET OUT! Perhaps move to Mexico and live in a kidnap-prone, drug-infested land. I do believe that McCain this could have been McCain's time, but Palin totally screwed it up! Just take a look at her debate and nationally-televised interview.

November 5, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  10. John

Sara Palin is a governor of a "small" state (I was a resident for 37 years) and has NO experience nationally. She had no business as a vice presidential pick. It was pure politics on McCain's part, to try and get the women's vote. The republican got a two-week boost after she was announced, but were trending down when the stock market crashed. She turned out to be a drag on the ticket, and I believe made McCain lose worse than he would have had he picked someone like Romney.
    Gov. Palin will go quietly back to Alaska, never to be heard from to any extent nationally again.

November 5, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  11. jay

if you can't stand the heat stay out of the kitchen. simple as that. just because she is woman does not mean you treat her with kid gloves when runnign for VP, its called politics. if she can't handle that type of criticism then maybe she should switch jobs and work at mcdonalds.

12. voted obama

to Michigander- Really? Apparently you didn't listen to half of the lies, and misinterpretation of Obama's plans just so they can get a vote. It doesn't matter, they lost.

13. Henry

Greetings to all,
    Just wanted to share my thoughts about this election and the results.
    I am a life long Democrate and an rejoicing with MOST Americans about the election results. If the GOP calls the Democrates the party of spending why did Bill Clinton balance the budget and then 8 years of GEORGE W later we are in the worse deficite in our history.
    Confuses me.
    This is also the time for all Americans to come together, unite, and remember that at the end of the day we truely life in a magnificent country, I am proud to be a Gay Married Hispanic Democrate who believes in the intellengence of my American CountryFolks.

14. Gavin

I feel bad for her. Yeah I voted for Obama and yeah I hated it when she spoke, but she wasn't ready for this and McCain knew it. I mean who wouldn't give up the chance to be VP whether you knew what the job entailed or not. She is a pawn strung out by the republican party and now she gets to go home in defeat from one of the most poorly run campaigns in history.

15. Jeff

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that she (1) never seems to speak in complete sentences and (2) loves to end sentences in prepositions? Maybe it's my inner grammar teacher, but I don't think I could take four years of quotes like these:

"When I say that, of course, coming on the heels of an outcome that I did not anticipate and had not hoped for."

"But this being a chapter now that is closed and realizing that it is a time to unite and all Americans need to get together and help with this new administration being ushered in."

16. bobo

Thanks for the memories. Enjoy the free clothes.

17. Kizzie

She was like a fish out of water in this campaign. I wish her well, and hope she stays in Alaska after this. The CONUS is to big for this lady, and I can say that as a woman myself.

18. Pete

GO Away and don't ever come back. I hope you heard the REAL AMERICA LAST NIGHT. You and your Parties time destroying the country is over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"The media mocked her, but this woman has more integrity than Obama/Biden put together"

Really ? She used her office to pressure an employee to fire her ex brother-in-law. Her husband belonged to a group the wanted to secede from the US, and finally she tried to paint a good American as a terrorist, and implying that people who were Muslim are evil.

She's dripping with integrity.

19. Keith in San Diego

OMG Sarah! Is there a language that you're speaking?

20. Donna

Sarah, I voted for you and John and have no regrets, I do now have won, I prayed to my God, this country would come to see the real Obama for what he is and in time they will. A sad a very sad day for me.

21. chip her

Not thinking about 2012? Riiiight. She's been doing that for the past two months. Oh Chipper, you working on company time too? Or maybe you don't have a job in this "fundamentally sound" economy?

22. Tony

Palin's right wing attitude may have worked 20 years ago but nobody want to hear her foolishness now. We all want her to go back to Russia, I mean Alaska and never be heard of again.

23. Wayne Messer

You can't make REAL CHRISTIANS look BAD.

They are all morons.

Print that.

24. Scott NYC Independent

"Debby"@1:28 the majority of Americans in the "real America" that is all 50 states including wherever you are have decided "Palin is not qualified" THANKS BUT NO THANKS. Integrity is lacking as is intelligence and ability from soon to be former Governor Palin.

25. Josh Gonzalez

The media, is the media. It goes whichever way the readers and subscribers want it to go. Sarah Palin was not properly vetted, and you can blame the McCain campaign for that, so the media did it for them. She was a last minute choice and came off as a publicity stunt. I think people rejected her as a candidate because of this.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16