November 5th, 2008

Palin: 'Cannot even imagine' 2012 bid

Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.
Palin says she's unsure what's in her political future.

(CNN) -- Hours after John McCain and Sarah Palin conceded defeat to Barack Obama, the Alaska governor told CNN she can't imagine running for the top job herself in 2012.

"Right now I cannot even imagine running for national office in 2012," she told CNN's Dana Bash. "When I say that, of course, coming on the heels of an outcome that I did not anticipate and had not hoped for. But this being a chapter now that is closed and realizing that it is a time to unite and all Americans need to get together and help with this new administration being ushered in."

Watch: 'Chapter now closed,' Palin says

Bash caught up with Palin and her husband Todd in the Phoenix Biltmore - the site of John McCain's concession speech Tuesday night.

"2012 sounds so far off that can't even imagine what I'd be doing then," Palin also said.

Palin also denied the suggestion her presence on the GOP ticket contributed to Obama's electoral landslide victory.

"I don't think anybody should give Sarah Palin that much credit, that I would trump an economic time in this nation that occurred about two months ago, that my presence on the ticket would trump the economic crisis that America found itself in a couple of months ago and attribute John McCain's loss to me," she said.

"Now having said that, if I cost John McCain even one vote, I am sorry about that because John McCain, I believe, is the American hero. I had believed it was his time," she added.

Exit polls suggest that voting blocs McCain advisers had hoped Palin would attract - suburban woman and independent voters — strongly supported Barack Obama. Exit polls also suggested over 60 percent of the electorate thought the Alaska governor was unqualified to be president if necessary. But the overwhelming issue among voters did appear to be the nation's economy, not McCain’s vice presidential pick - 85 percent of voters said they were worried about the nation's financial woes, and 54 percent of them picked Obama.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. sara

I HOPE she runs in 2012. Four extra years for Obama. I'll take it, even if it means I have to listen to her nauseating, backwards, sometimes offensive non-sentences.

November 5, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  2. va

Uh... What do you know about foreign policy. You have no clue please go back to Alaska. Ooops they don't want you there either.

November 5, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  3. Ben

She wasn't given an unfair shake by the media, the media was given a vice-presidential candidate that said ridiculous things. There was no way that was not going to be a problem for her.

November 5, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  4. Natalieee

its to eaerly to say but he should run the only reason obama won was because of electoral college the delegates and such

November 5, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  5. Jeff

I can't imagine it either. So it will probably happen.

November 5, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  6. Jeremiah

get a life monica and Maggie. Its easy to sit on the side line and make stupid remarks, lets see either of you two try it and see how far you get. If your not willing to get in the ring, shut your pie hole.

7. Veronica

Hmmm, of course, the quotes of praise for Palin must be Republican, and I applaud you for standing behind her all the way, it is the way it should be, but honestly as a middle of the road voter, the last two elections I voted for Bush, this time I voted for Obama, I truly believe had mcCain not Picked Sarah, his loss might have not been so large. And not everyone is in a cubicle hoping they don't get caught by the boss, im on a retail store sales floor and my boss is watching me right now......

8. Arpit Dave, Dallas, TX

Famous last words. I can't think of a single politician who has run for president that ISN'T on record saying he or she won't run for the highest office.

9. Ben in San Diego

Go home baracuda… you did a terrible disservice to our Country. What an ugly campaign… divide and conquer??? No… you LOST.

Time for a lesson here Sarah…

America judged Obama on the CONTENT of his CHARACTER… he never took your ugly bait... and he WON.

10. Obama Supporter in California

The selection of Sarah Palin by John McCain was a watershed moment in this election. No sober thinking individual could of thought that this woman had the qualifications to be the VP, let alone POTUS, should the need arise.

John McCain or others, will write one day, that her selection in concert with the failed economay and the Bush-revolt were ALL responsible for his defeat.

The John McCain of 2000 may well of gotten my vote; but this was a John McCain I could not recognize or support.

11. daniel

Although I did not and would never vote for her, I have to admit I sympathize. Imagine: you are minding your own business, leading a (relatively) private life as a state politician when suddenly someone approaches you and says, "We can make you Vice-President and you can make John McCain President." For the next two months, everything you say and do, your family members and your past, become a public spectacle. Suddenly you're being imitated and degraded by people you've never met, bumper stickers laud and condemn you in places you've never been. And after all that, you lose.

If I were her I would thank John McCain for ruining the past two months of my life.

12. Republican

Let me be clear here, eventhough she was treated the Obama ticket very badly, she got the best treatment from Obama ticket. Running for higher office should be and will be neater than what they have done

13. David from Jacksonville, FL

I just heard on the radio from Bubba the love sponge radio show that the states that where red in middle America give or take are considered "Racist". Well I am a Rep and I am not a racist. I live with my wife who is Columbian am I "Racist" no. Her brother is married to a black woman I consider her part of the family. Does that make me racist because I voted McCain? NO!! I voted for McCain because of issues not because of the color of his skin. I have heard a person said he would vote for Obama because he is black. I asked him anything else he said no. So some or most of the people will not know the real obama until after 100 days in office. I judged Obama by the content of his Charactor not by the color of his skin.

14. Ryan

Run Sarah Run ... ALASKA is waiting

15. Flydaddy

I'm sorry, Sarah who?

16. Aaron

EVERYONE is ravaged by the press. It's what the press is there for. Sarah Palin might be a great person, but she's not well suited for the kind of publicity that comes with an office so high up. Don't get all protective – the fact is, most people don't like her because she just came off as incompetent. She put herself out there, she has to deal with those consequences.

17. Jeff in Illinois

I was an Obama supporter before he announced he would run for president, and I have to say, its rather rude to even ask her if she thinks she cost McCain votes, or victory. What good does that do, except to make her feel bad?

I DO believe she cost him votes, but it is rather inappropriate to be rubbing it in, and I don't even like Palin.

18. Independent Hoosier Voter

Obama-Biden won. McCain-Palin were very gracious in their defeat.
    Yet the hateful comments continue. I had mistakenly thought that the vitriol would end when the Presidential contest was decided.

What happened to all the rhetoric about "change" and "unity" and "one America"? I guess that's all it was–words...

19. Lisa P

I'll bet there's a lot that Sarah Palin can't imagine.

Still waiting for her to acknowledge that God made His choice yesterday for the good of the country (and that would be the whole country, not just Palin's bitty piece of it), but I'm not holding my breath...

20. Ram

I don't think integrity was the issue, neither was color or gender it was just plain old competence. It is a tough job and we need to find the most qualified person for the time – why is that so hard to digest!

21. Michael

Sarah Palin, not the media, was responsible for her own demise. I do think there were moments last night when, even as an elated liberal democrat, I felt sympathy towards her, but that's not the point. She was simply unable to answer basic questions about how she would govern if she were to become president. She demonstrated her lack of knowledge not in one isolated sound bite or interview, but in various forums and throughout entire interviews. I'm sorry, but this was simply not a case of the media "out to get" Sarah Palin.

November 5, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  22. Chad from Virginia

The hatred towards Palin by the left is amazing to me. She is not as intellectual as Obama but this is a woman who came from a small town in Alaska, served as mayor and is now one of 50 governors. She did not come from a politically connected family - she took on the republican party in Alaska - and she has done this on her own. She has not governed Alaska in an extreme way (she vetoes legislation that would have prohibited benefits to same sex couples) - the left hates her because she is a young, attractive woman that does not fall in line to their idea that all woman should be pro-choice. She may not come back to the national scene but she was a breathe of fresh air for the McCain campaign that sorely needed the boost she provided.

November 5, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  23. John

I love how all the crazy bible-thumping whackos and the filthy racist bigots are freaking out right now. "The end is nigh!" Yes it is, you ignorant cave-dwellers. The end of the hatred and intolerance you've cocooned yourselves with for decades. It's a new day. And you can thank George W. Bush and Dick Cheney for ushering it in. Without them, Americans may have never been shaken out of their apathy.

November 5, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  24. Russ Cannizzaro

Who get's the clothes? Will the Republican Party put them in storage and hope that their pick for Vice President in 2012 is a size 6 so they can reuse them again?

November 5, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  25. paul wisconsin

Alot of the hate I've read about Palin has com from blogs on cnn's site. It shows what kind of people read cnn. You all got what you asked for and wait and see what robinhood brings to you. Your freedoms, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

November 5, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |