November 5th, 2008

Sources: McCain aide fired for 'trashing' staff

Scheunemann bonded with Palin during the Alaska governor's debate prep, above.
Scheunemann bonded with Palin during the Alaska governor's debate prep, above.

(CNN) - Randy Scheunemann, a senior foreign policy adviser to John McCain, was fired from the Arizona senator's campaign last week for what one aide called "trashing" the campaign staff, three senior McCain advisers tell CNN.

One of the aides tells CNN that campaign manager Rick Davis fired Scheunemann after determining that he had been in direct contact with journalists spreading "disinformation" about campaign aides, including Nicolle Wallace and other officials. (Update: Davis denies the claim.)

Update: Scheunemann disputes campaign sources, says he was not fired

"He was positioning himself with Palin at the expense of John McCain's campaign message," said one of the aides.

Senior campaign officials blame Schuenemann specifically for stories about the way Wallace and chief campaign strategist Steve Schmidt mishandled Palin's rollout - stories that the campaign says threw them off message in the critical final weeks of the campaign.

Another aide said McCain personally was "very disappointed by Randy," who worked for McCain for many years in the Senate.

Scheunemann became close with Palin during her debate prep process.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. A Texas Independent

When McCain didn't pick Joe Lieberman to be his running mate, I knew this was a lost cause. Of course, following the Karl Rove school of campaigning didn't help, either.

Once upon a time, I was a die-hard Republican. I even campaigned for Reagan in high school. Now, I'm so sick of the party's antics that I renounced my party membership and became an independent.

Good luck, Mr. Obama. Something tells me you're going to need it in the years to come.

November 5, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  2. eddy

Who cares ! why r u running this BS . It's over

November 5, 2008 09:42 pm at 9:42 pm |
  3. george

Has there ever been a losing VP candidate who later on went on to obtain his/her party's nomination for President?

I've checked historically through the Prez elections of the 20th and late 19th Centuries (then stopped looking) and cannot find such a situation. This would suggest that,, as a Nation, we will indeed be spared og having to ever hear again about Sarah Palin and her infidelities.

November 5, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  4. Donald

Some of these postings give clues as to why the GOP is in complete shambles. You folks love blaming other bogeymen when in reality you are the bogeymen! McCain's "Country First" campagin slogan did not take into account that America is more than white and older than 50. Please, look at yourselves in the mirror because the problem isn't the rest of the world it's you!! Sorry, you have never been or never will be master's of the universe, that is some "feel good" title you gave yourselves. America has moved beyond your utter silliness because we the people want problems solved, not windbag rhetortic!

And please stop trying to prop up Palin, if she was what she claimed then she'd be VP right now, not headed back to Alaska on a moose hunt. We more than welcome that Bimbo to run in 2012 because if she is the "new face" of the GOP then your will have your silly heads handed back to you again on a plate!

The GOP is old, bloated and full of lazy, crazy blowhards that will go the way of the DoDo bird if it doesn't commit to true change. And last but not least, it's time for your party to nuke pill poppers like Rush Limbaugh because "real Americans" don't have time to listen to rantings of old farts!!

November 5, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  5. ron

bill in California

November 5, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  6. John in Ohio

The worst-run campaign ever went up against the best run campaign ever.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA @ Republicans

November 5, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  7. Gary Soanes

I felt very sad for McCain upon hearing his MOST gracious concession speech. I hope he runs again once he is out from under the shadow of Bush.

Palin didn't know that Africa is a continent? Whoa, what does that say about the people of Alaska who voted in an illiterate to office?

November 5, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  8. John in Ohio

Republicans unhappy at Obama's election should feel free to leave the US and go to a more Christian conservative country.

If you can find it.

Australia maybe?

November 5, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  9. Jim

Maybe if they had had a message, it might have helped. Please, Palin threw them off message by being named to the ticket, and then they started with the personal attacks.

This campaign was the dirtiest campaign ever. And McCain claims to be a principled, honest man...

November 5, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  10. Cynthia a conservative voter

He became close...just how close? Romance? Where was 1st Dude? Palin was all about herself and not McCain. "Barbie, I mean Sarah Air Head" Dolls will be out next week.

November 5, 2008 09:48 pm at 9:48 pm |
  11. ron

bill in California

what a stupid comment. I guess joe the plummer and all his wisdom convinced you to vote for the lady who thought seeing Russia from her house was enough experience to run a country. Do us a favor continue watching cartoons and stop giving us your opinion.

November 5, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  12. Ellie

Positioning himself with Palin, huh?

November 5, 2008 09:50 pm at 9:50 pm |
  13. claressieberry-hardy

i a so elated and overhelmed, until i can't stop crying tears of joy, i live and grew up i n birmingham , i am a foot soldier i marched and went to jail at the age of 12 years old and my sister were only 10 years old, my family ,parents , unclers, aunts and cousins played a big part of ths civil rights movement. i can now say that our marching and going to jail was not in vain.

claressie berry-hardy, birmingham,alabama

November 5, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  14. trevor

Get over it McDumb and Dumber supporters, Obama won, now he can try to clean up the mess YOUR President made of this country for the last 8 years! It won't happen overnight, Shrub making this country the laughing stock of the world didn't happen overnight either!

November 5, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  15. Stacy

Umm... Denise.
    About your post at 9:29. One more time please, but in English for the rest of us.

November 5, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  16. DEVONECO

I'm sure Saturday Night Live can offer jobs for McCain and Palin now. They did a great job on their sets.

November 5, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  17. ronsters

It is absolutely amazing reading some of the posts from so called republican “base” here.
    It seems that listing to Rush limbo lowers one’s intelligence as well as one’s sense of logic. You guys need to do some real soul searching. You guys call us haters but everything that comes from your mouth and your posts are filled with non-sense and hate.
    American people have spoken. You guys had 8 years to do what you wanted and you simply destroyed this great nation. We have gotten our country back and we will build it back up. So go to your lonely homes, listen to your talk radios, but let us build this great nation back. We cannot be united with likes of Chaney, Hannity and Glen Becks and sheeps that repeats their non-sense in these boards.

BTW Sarah Palin was a copy of George Bush and that’s why the base damaged Sarah Palin. Just go back and listen to her interviews. She might a strong republican woman, but she is certainly an unqualified republican woman. But I forgot, you guys don’t care these thing that is why 70% republicans believe Bush is a great president. For some of you guys, a cow which carries a “anti-abortion”, “love Guns” and “hate Gays” will be a qualified candidate. May be you can nominate it in 2012.

November 5, 2008 09:52 pm at 9:52 pm |
  18. Andrew

Interested in energy? Health care? Stop complaining and get behind the efforts to make progress!

November 5, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  19. Call it down the middle

First and foremost, we have to all admit, Obama and his staff did a outstanding job. They inspired a generation, and a country like never before. As a Obama supporter, I am thrilled with the election, and it's results, but I realize that McCain supporters are probably a little bummed out about it. Hey I would be upset if Obama lost, so they are entitled to their few days of disappointment. McCain and Sarah did a lot to divide us, so it may take some time, but in the end McCain did serve this country for many years, and he lost gracefully, and for that he deserves a little credit. Once the wounds have healed, we need to get united! United nothing can stop us! When the United States is truly "United" we are unstoppable! Divided we will fail!

November 5, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  20. Ashok Kumar

Obama, the Black Superman
    He floats like a butterfly
    He stings like a bee...

oh, oh...got carried away singing to myself! That song was about The Greatest, Muhammad Ali.

November 5, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  21. Integrity5

I also checked out the Fox news forum and what I read on comments there was amazing..Where are they white hoods Hannity?
    And you can tell they are Christians by their hate ...wrong...
    I am a Christian and a Republican and I voted for Sen. Obama for the hate groups made me run as fast as I could after Sarah Palin started spouting he is not one of us...kill him take his head I felt: I am not one of you Gov. Palin....can't wait till I move next week and register as a Independent..by by Republicans you and the Fox News hate machine are driving real Christians and people with any intelligence away I too will pray for President. Obamas safety for after reading Fox News comments it gave me the creeps and amazed what kind of people they attract and consist of...Thank you CNN for your kindness and your acurracy of reporting and not being a hate news machine as FOX and a machine of the racism the rest of us hope we left behind years ago..not so at Fox News...Scary

November 5, 2008 09:55 pm at 9:55 pm |
  22. Jim

Oh please run Palin in 2012, It will make my choice so much easier.

November 5, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  23. chop1

as Barney Fife use to say, "She's a NUT!""

November 5, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  24. sambita

In moments like these, I am grateful for having taken Political Science in school as it helps me digest these comments. Simply amazing how some educated folks and others not-so-well educated can throw punches as though fighting for the gold olympic medal.

And it is truly a shame that all our problems are being blamed on President Bush. Politics in this country dictates that no President can make any single decision by themselves, in most instances it requires the agreement of the majority of the House and the Senate to take any action. In those fewer more private matters, it takes at least agreement by the whole cabinet formed by both Republicans and Democrats. So remind me again, why are you blaming President Bush for everything? I don't recall seeing him holding a gun to anyone's head at the time of signing a suicide loan, or at the time of enlisting in the Armed Forces, did you?

Get over it, accept responsibility for your choices, decisions and actions and leave the judging up to whatever greater being you believe in. I reiterate, may God have mercy for us all.

November 5, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |
  25. NotARepuke

All the right-wing repukes can now kneel down and blow.

November 5, 2008 09:56 pm at 9:56 pm |