November 6th, 2008

McCain sources gripe about Palin

Some McCain advisers were frustrated by Palin.
Some McCain advisers were frustrated by Palin.

(CNN) - Republican VP nominee Sarah Palin had prepared to deliver a concession speech before John McCain’s Tuesday night — and brought her remarks with her to his Phoenix concession - but senior McCain campaign adviser Steve Schmidt told her she could not.

Two McCain sources say Palin clearly did not understand the protocol of a concession speech, and expected she would have the chance to deliver one of her own.

Update: Palin camp fires back

McCain advisers were also upset with the Alaska governor for setting up what she thought was a call from French President Nicolas Sarkozy. The call, which turned out to be a prank from Quebec radio hosts, was not cleared with the McCain campaign and some saw the effort to set it up as evidence of her future presidential ambitions.

A Palin ally involved in setting up the call, however, suggests McCain advisers had ample time to object given the call was on her schedule for three days.

Two McCain sources also say Palin did not know Africa was a continent and could not find it on a map. A third source, a Palin ally, says that was a miscommunication.

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Bill R

I'm sure that everybody knows that the VP candidates don't give concession speeches; because so many people have run for VP before. Obviously her staff didn't know that either; her national GOP-provided staff.

I do wish that Gov. Palin had been given the chance to give a speech Tuesday night. I would love to see her say something like – "Y'all can kiss my Moose hunting derriere; I'm out of here." Never have I seen a candidate more maligned by the press. It amazes me how the general public loved the woman shortly after her selection, but the media (who I believe was completely terrified by this woman) made sure to keep telling us how lousy and inexperienced she was; by the end of the campaign they had gotten a large portion of the public to agree. Heck, they even gave the woman grief for flying to Alaska to vote on Tuesday. Geez, enough already.

She provided a much needed spark to Sen McCain's campaign, and gave them the lead in major polling after the conventions. That simply would not do, considering how much we were told to love Sen Obama.

I don' t know if we in the lower 48 will ever see Gov Palin again, but I'm not ashamed to say that I like and admire the woman. I think she'll be just fine whatever she chooses to do.

And for the record, I think she would've made a wonderful VP.

November 6, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  2. mary

I hope Palin becomes the republicans candidate in the future.It will be a win win situation for both parties and some.The republicans can have the person they love the most, Sarah Palin.And the democrats wont ever have to worry about losing.And the media and Saturday Night Live will have great ratings.Its WIN WIN. hope to see you in 2012 Palin. Love,your biggest fan.

November 6, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  3. Alaska who?

Alaska,
    Get real. You don't sound very smart. Honest person who cares about her country? Why don't you be a little more analytical and less emotional. Goodness, get a little smart will you. Get the facts.

November 6, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  4. Red, Red WHINE!!

Smooth Barry, just a little clue for you, since you are obviously, uhmm...a moron (like Palin, what a coincidence). Bush is in office, and it's been crashing for two months now under your boys pathetic reign of domestic terror. Between your complete idiot Bush and the republican party allowing us to be attacked on 9/11 and now what he's done to the stock market, I would try him for treason.

Fear not though little man, WHEN Obama is ACTUALLY in the white house, he will fix it. He won't be able to undo what took Bush 8 years to destry over night, but he'll get it done.

November 6, 2008 05:36 pm at 5:36 pm |
  5. John Q Cynic

Which vegetable would Palin sprout be if we could plant one of her ovaries in fertile ground.

November 6, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  6. Joe Terrogano

How does this surprise anyone? Today, on NPR, i heard that Alaskan's have lost some respect for Palin. I'm sure she felt that her destiny required her to make a speech. Her self-absorption was glaringly apparent throughout her campaign. go Home Sarah and stay wawy from the cameras.

November 6, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  7. Matt

Goes around, comes around. All this time the Republicans were hoping that they could sow division in the Democratic Party via the stoking the fires of a feud between Obama and Clinton supporters, but it didn't work and she campaigned fairly well for Obama. Yet now we see how evil turns on itself and the serpent eats it's tail. The Republcians are the ones divided as a result of their own divisiveness.

Ahhh...the luscious irony.

November 6, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  8. Too Bad

I put the blame on both McCain and Palin because she presented herself in the wrong way in the beginning. She came up as if she knew everything and she was going to kick butt!! However, that was short lived when she started talking and showing people she did not know anything. If she would have started out in a humble manner, things would have went different for her.

November 6, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  9. Agnes Fleming

As a further comment, I wonder how many people watched either the speech or the video of John McCain's very gracious concession speech? If only the Palins had been so gracious. Aside from the fact that it was clear there was animosity between McCain and the Palin's - just take a look at how he shook their hands, but the stony look on Todd Palin's face was hardly gracious or appropriate. It spoke volumes about how spooky it might have been. And Sarah Palin seemed very confused at her stunning loss. I do hope the republican party of the future will be more circumspect about who it selects in the future, and I certainly would not encourage Ms. Palin as a possible leader. God help us if it does.

November 6, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  10. Crimson Tide Dem

Palin needs to go back to what she does best – have kids and name them after breakfast cereals.

Butt... it will be fun to watch her next grab at the spotlight. I can see her doing a Judge Sarah TV Show where she dispenses frontier justice to all the Joe Six-packs, plumbers and their big-haired hockey lovin' girl friends.

November 6, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  11. Phoenix

I'm sorry, but Palin honey, if you are a pitbull you need to bit the McCain advisers. First of all, Palin was appointed, not elected. This means that someone had to offer her the position as VP. I think it is rather disingenuous for these people to point the finger at her. Palin boosted McCain's campaign during its early dark days when the base did not see any reason to support him. I think that its nerve to pretend like she was a total loss. Yes, I do not agree with her behavior in general, but I am getting bored with the attacks, and I happen to be an Obama supporter.

November 6, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  12. HouseDiva

and Mccain's advisors didnt know that palin was a dumb looney the first time she opened her mouth and spoke?

HAHAHA...they should blame themselves for giving Palin legs in the first place

they should have let Palin give her concession speech....one last laugh for us to remember her by.

November 6, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  13. Matt

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

SOMEONE IN THIS THREAD CALLED PALIN "AN HONEST PERSON"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

November 6, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  14. sad

haha she's such an idiot

November 6, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  15. kc

I thought she was a really bad pick. Her interviews reminded me of a job interviewee trying to handle a tough question – badly. Just some advice: THE 'TOO ALSOS' and the 'word tsunamis' have GOT to go!!! But, what I found VERY interesting is her interview after landing back in Anchorage last night. She was relaxed, funny, confident, and pretty 'with it'! So, I do have to wonder how much of the real Sarah vs the coached Sarah we actually saw and heard. Perhaps the real Sarah is a much better candidate!

November 6, 2008 05:40 pm at 5:40 pm |
  16. a canadian

Yes. . . how dare she stop us from stealing Alaskan Salmon! Haha, the majority of Canadians don't even KNOW about fishing around Alaska – seriously, do you not realize what the overall worldview of Palin is?? They wanted to prank her because to us Canadians she is an even bigger joke than how the democrats (and all other intelligent pple in the US) viewed her to be. From an outsider's perspective, I, and most of my country, am just relieved you guys finally elected someone who will hopefully improve your image.

November 6, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  17. Matt

I'm loving people trying to pin the DOW's behavior today on the election results. I'll agree. ALl the rich Republicans are trying to punish the country.

November 6, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  18. bob in LA

Yeah, right

November 6, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  19. Yogi bala

Palin the hockey mon and Joe the unlicensed plumber are going to join in Sarah/Joe 2012 election.

* You can put $150K worth of dresses on a pig, but it's still a pig.
    * You can put $30K worth of makeup on a pig, but it's still a pig.
    * You can put $20K worth of flight ticket on a pig, but it's still a pig.

Here I am talking only about a pig ... please do not imagine some one else.

November 6, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  20. Dave

Kathy and others... just FYI regarding Obama's "present" votes while in the Illinois legislature.

In Illinois, each legislator has the option of voting "yes", "no" or "present" for each bill. It's common knowledge there that a "present" vote signifies some level of interest in the bill to signal to the author that they could be persuaded to vote "yes" if the bill is changed in some way. It's actually an interesting and efficient system of communication so authors of bills that go down to defeat have some sense of how to proceed. This criticism of Obama is unwarranted since he was simply following the rules of that legislative body.

November 6, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  21. Rave

Palin go back to Alaska , God will hug you warmly and not let you leave Alaska ever again. Go Back to the Eskimo Land

November 6, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  22. Westwood girl

The Rush Parrots in the blogosphere are at it again.

Rush Limbaugh literally in the opening of his November 6 show hammered on the idea of "The Obama Recession", and now all his little goons are repeating him verbatim.

Ditto-heads, please get a new idea from somewhere. Please.
    I guess it's really easy to isolate yourself to one person's rantings when you've been instructed to dismiss all national media as "liberal".

What perfect little lockstep Nazis you would have made...
    CNN will never post this.

November 6, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  23. Veronica

It ia a shame that the McCain bunch has used Mrs.Palin as thier scape goat and the blame person to why Mr.McCain lost. I did not see eye to with her on her causes or issues, but I believe for the most part she was very sincere. Honestly I feel there was a huge communication gap and thats where they failed her and John McCain.
    To note I am a democrate.

November 6, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  24. Voter

They picked her, it's their fault, not hers.

Is it a manager's fault if a company goes down or the underskilled employees? I say manager, they did the hiring!

November 6, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  25. Poor Alaska , Orange California

Palin is loyal only to herself....The price of this self-loyalty is that she is being thrown under the bus by the branch of the Republican party who want Mitt Romney in 2012. What fun it'll be watching this play out....the LDS and the crazy Evangelicals fighting for power all the while being manipulated by the powerful rich at the top of the Republican food chain.
    How sad for Alaska's environment and wildlife that she is still in office.
    As I said before, she and her family are freeloaders.

November 6, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |