November 6th, 2008

Obama, Biden to meet with economic advisers Friday

Obama and Biden will meet with a team of economic advisers Friday.
Obama and Biden will meet with a team of economic advisers Friday.

(CNN) - President-elect Obama and Vice President-elect Biden will meet with their Transition Economic Advisory Board in Chicago Friday, followed by the pair's first official press conference since winning the White House, the transition team announced Thursday.

The members of the advisory board - which include former Treasry Secretaries Lawrence Summers and Robert Rubin, former Fed Chairman Paul Volcker, and billionaire businessman Warren Buffett - are listed after the jump.

(List released by the Obama campaign Thursday):

–David Bonior (Member House of Representatives 1977-2003)

–Warren Buffett (Chairman and CEO, Berkshire Hathaway)-will participate via speakerphone

–Roel Campos (former SEC Commissioner)

–William Daley (Chairman of the Midwest, JP Morgan Chase; Former Secretary, U.S. Dept of Commerce, 1997-2000)

–William Donaldson (Former Chairman of the SEC 2003-2005)

–Roger Ferguson (President and CEO, TIAA-CREF and former Vice Chairman of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve)

–Jennifer Granholm (Governor, State of Michigan)

–Anne Mulcahy (Chairman and CEO, Xerox)

–Richard Parsons (Chairman of the Board, Time Warner)

–Penny Pritzker (CEO, Classic Residence by Hyatt)

–Robert Reich (University of California, Berkeley; Former Secretary, U.S. Dept of Labor, 1993-1997)

–Robert Rubin (Chairman and Director of the Executive Committee, Citigroup; Former Secretary, U.S. Dept of Treasury, 1995-1999)

–Eric Schmidt (Chairman and CEO, Google)

–Lawrence Summers (Harvard University; Managing Director, D.E. Shaw; Former Secretary, U.S. Dept of Treasury, 1999-2001)

–Laura Tyson (Haas School of Business, University of California, Berkeley; Former Chairman, National Economic Council, 1995-1996; Former Chairman, President’s Council of Economic Advisors, 1993-1995)

–Antonio Villaraigosa (Mayor, City of Los Angeles)

–Paul Volcker (Former Chairman, U.S. Federal Reserve 1979-1987)

1. Monroe W. DeVos

It appears that the President-elect has some powerful and experienced individuals on this board.

As learned a long time ago...a great leader is one who puts the right people around him. Looks like a great start......!

November 6, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  2. Gia in Los Angeles, CA

A lot of awsome talent there! Maybe we can finally get out of this rut and make some progress!

November 6, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  3. Bridgette-PA

LET'S DO THIS!

November 6, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  4. rachel

Interesting. I am waiting on the cabinet. Until I see Hillary's name mentioned by Obama for a possible cabinet position I dont think I will be truly happy but oh well.

November 6, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  5. GA Independent

Hey – first thing – get more bandwidth for change.gov – I only get server error messages!

November 6, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  6. Cynthia; Bham

That's a good thing and this needs to be their top priority.

November 6, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  7. THE END OF AMERICA by OBAMA

Biden will spend the next 4 years putting wreaths on gravesites because obama will not need or want him for anything else, especially advice.
    Biden was played bigtime.

November 6, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  8. Barb

He is bringing out the big guns. The economy is a big problem so he will need the best of the best to help him.

Great leaders know that they must have the best minds around them.

November 6, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  9. ANGIE

Lets go! President Obama Very Impressive how Fast hes going to work!!

November 6, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  10. cat

Wow it been a long time ... Finally a President talking about job creation...After the election. :) HOPE IS MAKING A COME BACK.
    THANK YOU EVERY ONE FOR YOUR TIRELESS EFFORT IN ELECTING BARACK OBAMA OUR PRESIDENT.

Wow.....Now you see how strong our voice truly is when we speak as one.....Only we will be able to change our country..And with a president like Barack Obama..(who hears our voices, and who see us) we will
    be able to leave behind that Gov't that serves the few for a new Gov't that serves ALL it's people...AMEN

November 6, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  11. nicolevoter

I think it's fitting that we have so much rain to clean the slate and get the gears working!

Is anyone else sleeping better these days???

November 6, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  12. cool onlooker

As ever, very smart move.
    Always on the right track.

It's amazing this guy has so much discipline!

November 6, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  13. Higher Education

If there are jobs to be created, African Americans, you need to excel beyond that GED; oh I forgot, you have "Affirmitive Action."

November 6, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  14. Debby

All the CEO's behind their names. Isn't this what Obama was fighting against through his entire campaign these big money maker interests. Like Obama said he can sell anything. LOL

November 6, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  15. Sebastian

You need more folks from industry Barack .... too many politico types.

November 6, 2008 03:28 pm at 3:28 pm |
  16. KLEE

This is the very first time since I was able to vote in the 1960's that I feel actually connected to the President – both historically and inclusively! Its a great feeling – If I feel this energized I can only imagine how widespread this feeling is and that will go a long way to support our new President and his team.

November 6, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  17. country first

I LOVE OUR NEW PRESIDENT AND VICE PRESIDENT, IT'S SO GOOD TO HAVE CONFIDENCE IN OUR GOVRENMENT ONCE AGAIN.

November 6, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  18. Patriotic American

This president-elect and his transition team mean business. I'm glad to see them treating the issues facing the country with the speed and seriousness they deserve.

November 6, 2008 03:29 pm at 3:29 pm |
  19. Sebastian

I don't know what the mayor of LA brings to the table ... enlighten me please!

November 6, 2008 03:30 pm at 3:30 pm |
  20. KLEE

I'm not black or a minority – but I'm crying too! What a great time (even though its a tough period) for our nation and hopefully the world.

November 6, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  21. Stacy from Loudoun County VA

Nicole, I am not sleeping better these days...but I have newborn twins that keep me up all night. Seriously, Smart group of folks advising on economic matters. A good cross section of business and government. Tell him what he needs to hear, not what you think what he wants to hear! The truth, that sets us free!

November 6, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  22. grebo_p

This apears to be a really strong balanced list. I especialy like the mix of academia, business, and political experience. This is a great first step.

November 6, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  23. Big Sean

Rachel – I would love to see Hillary in Obama's cabinet, as well; however, he may need her in the Senate to help push his healthcare initiatives through.

November 6, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  24. Stock Market Dissing Obama

My 401K is down 10% since Obama was elected.

I'll never be able to retire at this rate. I'll be wiped out in 10 days at this rate. It's all because he's raising taxes next year.

He's got to do something or we are all in the soup.

November 6, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  25. 1/20/09

Higher Education November 6th, 2008 3:27 pm ET

**********************************************************************
    I bet you are a high school drop out. You are an insult to all races in the United States of America. Go hide in a cave for the next 8 years, your brains is from the 18 century...sad!

November 6, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |