November 6th, 2008

Obama, Bush set for Oval Office meeting

Obama and Bush are set to meet in the White House.
Obama and Bush are set to meet in the White House.

(CNN) – President-elect Barack Obama and President Bush are set to meet in the White House on Monday, a get-together both men say they are looking forward to.

“Michelle and I look forward to meeting with President Bush and the First Lady on Monday to begin the process of a smooth, effective transition," Obama said in a statement. "I thank him for reaching out in the spirit of bipartisanship that will be required to meet the many challenges we face as a nation."

Meanwhile, White House Press Secretary Dana Perino said the two men will sit down in the Oval Office.

"The President and Mrs. Bush look forward to welcoming President-elect and Mrs. Obama to the White House on Monday afternoon. The Bushes will greet the Obamas, and then the President will visit with the President-elect in the Oval Office," she said. "Mrs. Bush and Mrs. Obama will meet in and tour the Private Residence. We understand that the Obama children will not be accompanying them on this visit, but we very much look forward to meeting them."

1. bill b. from Stratford,Ct

To Welcome to CubAmerica), it's a shame that people like you still live in this country. If you don't like PRESIDENT OBAMA, you'll get over it, b/c all those presidents before him were not that all great, just look at the idiot that's in the White House now, Bush. That idiot has run this country into the ground and you see nothing wrong with that. He lied about the invasion of Iraq, thousands are dead, trillion dollar spend, mortgage collapse, banks collapse, jobs are gone and his rating is 23%, so tell me, you must be an RETHUG, NEO-CON Conservative who thinks there's nothing wrong, idiot

November 6, 2008 02:29 pm at 2:29 pm |
  2. GROW UP!!!!

Oh my word!!!! Obama is not nearly as dangerous as his hate-filled supporters! END IT NOW!!! Please! You have won the election now PLEASE stop your disdainful remarks!

And Al in NY, NY the word is NUCLEAR not nucular.......
    That was yesterday. I just couldn't let you go on in ignorance of the correct word. I am a teacher.

November 6, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  3. norma wilkinson

come onpeople, lay off the smart cracks.If you don't like the way this has gone, live with it like the rest of us havefor eight long years. This is a new beginning, a chance to start over.The majority of our people feel positive about it, so give ita chance this is our future and can well be the beginning of something big.

November 6, 2008 02:31 pm at 2:31 pm |
  4. Hopeful for Tomorrow

@country first - I agree with you, completely.

While I was never a fan of the policies and acts that were endorsed or achieved through the actions of George W. Bush, I still understood that he was (and still is) our President, and that in order to have my opinions taken seriously I would have to not rant and rave and craft radical stories about his character, but present my arguments honestly and logically, and be prepared to achieve compromise instead of the result I desired.

It's a tough job, and everyone watches everything you do. I don't think anyone went into this job with malicious intent, including George W. Bush.

November 6, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  5. NEW BEGENNINGS

FINALLY AMERICA CAN MOVE FORWARD!!!

November 6, 2008 02:32 pm at 2:32 pm |
  6. pam Eugene OR

I can't wait to see this beautiful family and their new puppy in our White House.
    I also look forward to Bush moving out!
    It can't happen soon enough for me.

November 6, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  7. Nicki

How exciting to see this happen in our Country. How sad that some of the people in this country prefer hate, anger, division and exclusion over acceptance, trust, happiness, hope and vision.

How sad that people celebrate the exclusion of gay people. How sad that anyone celebrates the hate of blacks, hispanics, or asian people.

How sad that today, when my white 86 year old granmother cried and said she has now lived a full life can anyone have anger towards this moment in our country?

November 6, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  8. lee75

The best thing about this whole election is this: BUSH IS GONE, OUTTA HERE. I will not have to keep trying to dodge him during the evening news and changing the stations to avoid him. Cannot stand that man.

November 6, 2008 02:33 pm at 2:33 pm |
  9. Denise Bolin

Colin Powell was right: He is going to be, and already has been, a transformational President. We are so ready to heal! It's been so emotional and uplifting to see the reaction around the country and around the world. I'm so very proud and hopeful.

November 6, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  10. Tom in CA

Watch the keyboards for missing Bs, Hs or Os!

74 days, 21 hours and 26 minutes until Inaguration Day!

November 6, 2008 02:34 pm at 2:34 pm |
  11. lee75

November 6, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  12. pam Eugene OR

I also look forward to Bush moving out!
    It can't happen soon enough for me.

November 6, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  13. Leo

I'm with AJ – "Now they can bask in the warmth of each others arrogance"

I'm sure Laura is looking forward to the visit. Not!

November 6, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  14. The National Nightmare is Over!

The idea of the AMERO predates this election

Actually, its been floating around for a couple of years. As long as oil is priced in USD, the AMERO won't gain much traction.

However, if the EUR becomes the "currency of choice", and the CAD stays almost on par with the USD, we might see a move to a regional currency.

November 6, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  15. JamaicanQueen

Obama do not take any suggestions, pointers, notes, advice, etc. from Bush!

November 6, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  16. Nicki

November 6, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  17. cat

i dont know I just think there is alittle bit more tothis than meets the eye. After going into Iraq...I would not put it past Bush to try to strong arm Barack into continuing the war...and tring to treaten him in some way or another if he does not hear what he wants to hear as an answer. UUUmmm. I just hope we end this war ASAP... Before we end up regreting not having our troops at home..building the strenth of our Army..is very important.

November 6, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  18. Denise Bolin

Colin Powell was right: President-elect Obama is going to be, and already has been, a transformational figure. We are ready to heal! It's been so emotional and uplifting to see the reaction around the country and around the world. I'm so very proud and hopeful.

November 6, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  19. Blue in Red AZ

Racists, Ignorant Men & Women, Inbreds, Trailor Park Dwellers, Second Cousin Marrying-type: All of you – you can call Obama whatever your little black, ignorant hearts desire – but the fact is this: The only name that counts and is TRUE: PRESIDENT ELECT OBAMA..... that just sound BEAUTIFUL! :)

November 6, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  20. Nicki

November 6, 2008 02:35 pm at 2:35 pm |
  21. JamaicanQueen

Obama do not take any suggestions, pointers, notes, advice, etc. from Bush!

November 6, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  22. Blue in Red AZ

November 6, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  23. AGB, Lanham, MD.

Has "Joe the plumber" been informed of this meeting?

November 6, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  24. Jimmy D.

Governer Palin stated, "I know at the end of the day, putting this in God's hands, the right thing for America will be done at the end of the day on Nov. 4."

Amen, Sarah... Amen.

November 6, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  25. 3strikes

obama is NOT "the one", he is goin to FAIL. just as you naysayers of palin said, obama is also not ready for the world stage.

November 6, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |