November 6th, 2008

Obama, Bush set for Oval Office meeting

Obama and Bush are set to meet in the White House.
Obama and Bush are set to meet in the White House.

(CNN) – President-elect Barack Obama and President Bush are set to meet in the White House on Monday, a get-together both men say they are looking forward to.

“Michelle and I look forward to meeting with President Bush and the First Lady on Monday to begin the process of a smooth, effective transition," Obama said in a statement. "I thank him for reaching out in the spirit of bipartisanship that will be required to meet the many challenges we face as a nation."

Meanwhile, White House Press Secretary Dana Perino said the two men will sit down in the Oval Office.

"The President and Mrs. Bush look forward to welcoming President-elect and Mrs. Obama to the White House on Monday afternoon. The Bushes will greet the Obamas, and then the President will visit with the President-elect in the Oval Office," she said. "Mrs. Bush and Mrs. Obama will meet in and tour the Private Residence. We understand that the Obama children will not be accompanying them on this visit, but we very much look forward to meeting them."

1. Carol

Welcome to CubAmerica November 6th, 2008 2:06 pm ET

Your comment is utterly disgusting.

November 6, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  2. Jeanne H.

I'm sure Mr. Bush is more than anxious to turn over his mess for somebody else to clean up. How nice to be able to wash your hands and tell the next guy: Welcome! It's all yours (the huge deficit, the economy in shambles, the US reduced to a joke in the world, a more influential Iran, the whole enchilada my friend!!!). Not too many of us get to do this if we've messed up badly on our job. We would have been kicked out the doors a long time ago.

November 6, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  3. Xavier, Saint Louis, Missouri

This sounds GREAT! America should be proud of herself and in the words of our new first lady; I must say "this is the first time in my life that I am REALLY proud of my country".

Obama/Biden

November 6, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  4. G from DC

To Gloating, Gutless & Girly:

Prayerfully, Barack is too wise and too intelligent to take any advice from the worst president to ever step foot into the position as the President of the United States of America!

You and the other haters are funny. If liberals are so "retarded" (i.e. lib-tards), I have some questions for you:

1. How is it that the Republicans FAILED to win the election?
    2. Why wasn't the election even close?
    3. Given the present situation and your accusation, if the liberals
    are retarded and they won the election, what does that make
    the Republicans?

NOTE TO OTHERS: I'm making no statements against Republicans. I just want to see how this "genius" rationalizes their comments.......

November 6, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  5. Chris

How about the Obama supporters start showing a little shred of the dignity, grace and humility that their candidate and our President elect shows daily. Though he may not have gotten my vote I'll give him that compliment every day.

Keep the one thing in mind that the military teaches you (granted most here havnt served their country and make no plans too): you do not have to respect the man but respect the rank. Extend that out to opinions, just because a person doesnt buy into Pres Elect Obama's messgae hook, line and sinker does not make them any less of a person.

So even if Pres Bush is a complete tool, recognize the office and pay it the respect it deserves, maybe not the person. Its the same thing you all expect from Republicans as far as their treatment of Obama.

November 6, 2008 02:36 pm at 2:36 pm |
  6. Rita

Sheila Bear for Secretary of Treasury

November 6, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  7. Anti-Spread the Wealth

Should I send my check to Obama at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave or should I just find a local family that expects handouts and give them my money?

November 6, 2008 02:37 pm at 2:37 pm |
  8. Change-a-holic-08, in ATL

I'm so happy that Bush isn't acting like the McCain supportes that blog on CNN. Maybe you sore losers should go to the FoxNews site. It seems like you're not trying to unite the country, instead waiting for the bottom to drop out. He will surely make mistakes bcz he's not perfect but, he's our president now, so get over it and move on!

November 6, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  9. KLEE

Excellent – nice to see civility coming back in style!

The best to OBAMA, BIDEN, & families, and the new cabinet – they have their work cut out for them.

I am very pleased.

November 6, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  10. Vitriol

Obama supporters – When will the screeching end? You'd think the victory this week might have calmed your derangement – apparently not frmo these posts...

November 6, 2008 02:38 pm at 2:38 pm |
  11. Navy Vet

I think President Bush is doing exactly what he is supposed to do. The election is over and this country has to heal and move forward. President Bush will leave the White House on a very high note especially for the way he handled the transition.
    Wishing President-elect Obama much success in the next fragile 100 days and the best four years of any President in the White House. Sir, you have the majority of this country behind you and the world is behind you also. Forget those who want to dwell and wallow is hatred and biogtry. Eventually, they will find their way and hopefully change their minds for the better before they leave this world as we know it.

November 6, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  12. Jim Colvert

Free at last! free at last! of the vanity, ignorance, and incompetence that has come close to totaling the country.

November 6, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  13. Phil in KC

This is entirely appropriate and I'm pleased that the Bushes have been not only civil, but cordial.

November 6, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  14. G. Robinson

God Bless President Obama and his family. May he keep them safe from all seen and unseen hurt, harm and danger in Jesus precious name.

YES WE DID!!!!!!!!!

November 6, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  15. White-girl, in Iowa

I'm so happy that President Bush isn't acting like the McCain supportes that blog on CNN. Maybe you sore losers should go to the FoxNews site. It seems like you're not trying to unite the country, instead waiting for the bottom to drop out. He will surely make mistakes bcz he's not perfect but, he's our president now, so get over it and move on!

November 6, 2008 02:39 pm at 2:39 pm |
  16. G from DC

Hopeful for Tomorrow:

I agree with you. I, too, don't believe that Bush went into the White House with mal-intent.

However, we knew Geo. W. Bush and we knew his mindset. Despite him having wise counsel around him, his arrogance and immaturity neutralized and nullified said counsel.

So, let's not attempt to portray Bush as an innocent by-stander.

November 6, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  17. 1/20/13

For the first time in my adult life I am NOT proud to be an American

November 6, 2008 02:40 pm at 2:40 pm |
  18. Sherri

I agree – the President and Mrs. Bush have been very gracious to the Obama's and sincere.

He was not be a great president, but from all the tidbits I've heard, supposedly a very nice man and his wife has never been anything but gracious.

November 6, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  19. aware

Four more years! :(

November 6, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  20. Simmy

WOW!
    WHAT A FIRST FAMILY – WHAT A PEOPLE WE ARE! LONG LIVE FREEDOM AND DEMOCRACY!

KEEP PRAYING FOR OUR FIRST FAMILY, THE OBAMA CAMPAIGN STAFF AND OUR COUNTRY!

November 6, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  21. KJ

Come on folks. It doesn't matter whether your a Democrat or Republican or even an Independent. This article is about the current President and First Lady reaching out to President elect OBama and the next First Lady so that a smooth transition can occur.

Stop all of the negativity. I believe enough is enough now that the Election is over. In all of my life involved in the numerous Presidential Elections, I have never read such hateful words from folks who visit CNN's web site. You should really think about what you're going to say before you actually write it. Let's move forward as a country and get over all of the bitterness and ugliness.

Come on CNN...you should at least post this blog..

November 6, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  22. G from DC

Jimmy D. :

GREAT SUMMATION, SIR!!

November 6, 2008 02:41 pm at 2:41 pm |
  23. Joey

Well this will be awkward. I have no reason to trust Bush, but I hope he does make the transition smooth.

November 6, 2008 02:42 pm at 2:42 pm |
  24. aware

Rahm Emanuel is certainly qualified but he is also a very partisan Chicago politician and Washington insider! :(

No change here! :(

November 6, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |
  25. globalgroove

To those who are concerned about the Amero..you're about 2 years behind in your knowledge. This is OLD news. Do some research before you go all hysterical.

November 6, 2008 02:43 pm at 2:43 pm |