November 6th, 2008

Palin camp fires back over claims by some McCain aides

Palin has been the target of tough leaks from some former McCain staffers.
Palin has been the target of tough leaks from some former McCain staffers.

(CNN) – The war of words between supporters of each half of the Republican presidential ticket escalated Thursday, as a spokeswoman for Sarah Palin called charges circulated by former campaign aides to John McCain ‘sickening,’ and the Alaska governor herself said the advisers spreading the rumors were ‘small, evidently bitter’ people.

Former McCain campaign aides have been sources for a string of embarrassing stories about Palin that have become public since GOP defeat Tuesday night, including the charge that she spent thousands of dollars more on clothing for herself and her family than the $150,000 that has been reported.

There have also been reports of a somewhat distant relationship between John McCain and his running mate.

“This is so unfortunate and, quite honestly, sickening,” said Palin aide Meghan Stapleton in a statement. “The accusations we are hearing and reading are not true and since we deny all these anonymous allegations, there is nothing specific to which we will respond.

“We have the highest regards for Senator John McCain. Governor Palin was honored to be chosen as McCain’s running mate. And as Governor of Alaska, Governor Palin looks forward to working with President-elect Obama on securing energy independence for America.”

Back home in Alaska, Palin herself said she would not respond to individual accusations.

“If they’re an unnamed source, then that says it all,” she said. “I won’t comment on anybody’s gossip, or allegations that are based on anonymous sources. That’s kind of a small, evidently bitter type of person who would anonymously charge something foolish like that, that I perhaps didn’t know an answer to a question. So until I know who was talking about it, I won’t have a comment on false allegations.”

Filed under: John McCain • Sarah Palin
  1. Soccer Nana

Karma.

November 6, 2008 11:18 pm at 11:18 pm |
  2. Here we go

@ Truth Hurts

Enough with the sarcasm, what good does it do you and other McCain supporters now to walk around with your arms folded and your lips poked out. Obama is right, we all got work to do to right this mess of a country. And it is disgusting how the McCain campaign continues to conduct itself. I don't believe McCain is any where near this petty but he sure surrounded himself with some low-life people who have the nerve to blame the woman the superficially picked to be VP. I don't care for Palin, I think she tried to divide Americans when so many are yearning to come together despite our diverse makings, but this is just plain disgusting.

November 6, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  3. wasillabilly@alaska.com

Sarah has so much potential. She's gifted at race-baiting, misinformation, twisting reality, anti-intellectualism..in fact, the old saying, "if you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bull-s%^t", is Palin's battle cry! You go, girl. Run in 2012, 2016, 2020, 2024, 2028...you'll keep us entertained for years!

November 6, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  4. Scott in Portland

They picked her,
    they "vetted" her,
    they dressed her,
    and NOW she is incompetent.
    Way to take responsibility for your own decision John!

November 6, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  5. a grad student in biomed research

*sigh* is this what Gov Palin called "the ole boy club"?

November 6, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  6. Arganis

I don't know what it is about Republicans and double standards...

Sarah Palins spent most of her campaign slinging mud at Obama to instil fear and doubt in him as person.

People chanted things like: "Kill Him" and "Off with his head" on a regular basis as she smiled and spewed more twisted hatred to build the divide and in the end it didn't work.

Palin doesn't deserve any sympathy, and if her own party is lashing out at her its not only because they need a scapegoat but because Palin represents all that's wrong with the Republican party today.

Obviously you could care less what the rest of world thinks of our country and there lies your flaw; so narrow minded and short sited all your care about is what your own party thinks of itself forgeting winning an election is not only about getting your own party behind yu but appealing to others.

All Sarah Palin did was turn off anybody that isn't a hardcore republican, that's why you lost by such a margin and that's why the other repubs are trying to do way with her, to actually save you guys from yourselves.

November 6, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  7. Alicia

Enough with the tit-for-tat. Election coverage has dominated American news so much in the past month that we have lost touch with world affairs. We need to turn our attention back to events unfolding in Congo, Syria, etc.

November 6, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  8. G.R.I.T - Girl Raised in the South

Not suprised by any of this. Obviously this campaign was not well managed or well thought out. Ms. Palin did not have to accept the nomination when it was offered. If you don't have the education, knowledge and skills for a job, you shouldn't take it, especially if it means you will be in the international spotlight. However, arrogance blinded Ms. Palin to her own shortcomings and both she and the McCain campaign erred.

November 6, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  9. FactCheck

It's sad and sickening the way people, and by people, I mean men. Actually, I mean the boys club. Men absolutely can't stand strong, powerful women. It happened to Hillary. It's happening to Palin.
    ---–

The ONLY thing that Palin has in common with HRC and I mean the ONLY thing is an extra X chromosome. Palin is to politics what Paris Hilton is to English literature.

November 6, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  10. dittohead with forty names

We wont be happy till we run the Repubs into the sea.They rubbed our noses for 8 years and now they want to play nice.Wa,wa,wa

November 6, 2008 11:23 pm at 11:23 pm |
  11. Lynn in PDX

In retrospect, what is most disconcerting about Sarah Palin and her adventure as the GOP VP running mate is her decision to actually do so. I work in the medical field but I am not a doctor. If the administrator of my hospital came to me one day and said "We want you to be our
    chief vascular surgeon...in two months" I would have the self awareness to know that offer is not one that I could accept. 1) I am not qualified 2) To say "yes" would be reckless and 3) what sane person would ask me to do that in the first place?
    What came after she made that fateful choice is simply her own carnage.

November 6, 2008 11:24 pm at 11:24 pm |
  12. beau

Patrick wrote:

"Perhaps instead of pandering to malicious verbal attacks against a fellow citizen without knowing all the facts"

Even if we don't take Fox News' word for this latest news it's painfully evident Mrs. Palin was in way over her head from the start. The Charlie Gibson and Katie Couric interviews showed someone who was obviously chosen to pander to the republican, religious-right, base – and not for her qualifications for the job. I think you'll find many conservatives like Colin Powell and Peggy Noonan agreeing.

"the majority of you could lead by example yourselves and help tone down the hate and actually have the courage to stand up for Sarah Palin. Not because she lost, or because she deserves it (which she does)"

I'm sorry but Sarah Palin is a politician and not a messiah. She serves at the pleasure of Alaskans – at the moment – but the rest of America didn't choose her. One man did. And the rest of America owes her nothing. This country was built on the principles of disagreement and close scrutiny – and even suspicion of – of its leaders. Contrary to Sarah's very strange interpretations of the US Constitution.

Besides the Republican party has paid her handsomely in clothes.

"She deserves a modicum of respect and thanks by all Americans for at least attempting to better this country through her heartfelt commitment and patriotism by running for any political office, whether the majority of you agree with her presence in politics or not."

Please... Her *Patriotism*? Supporting her state's secession from the Union isn't very patriotic, is it? If Sarah can't take the heat it's fine with me if she stays out of the kitchen.

November 6, 2008 11:25 pm at 11:25 pm |
  13. Voted for Obama

Get OVER IT! The election's over. Let the woman move on. The only reason this stuff keeps getting brought up is because we all keep it going back and forth like a nice little tennis match. If the country is going to unite at all, we ALL need to let go of this piddly-crap stuff already.

November 6, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  14. FactCheck

> I heard the Geico Caveman has been selected to be Education Secretary!!

Well, obviously, he's much further along on the evolutionary ladder than brainless dinosaurs like the Republicans. Enjoy the next 8 years... we will!!

November 6, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  15. Q Williams

Wake up, folks! No matter who McCain picked, it was over from the start. He wasn't the right candidate to beat Obama. You can't think Palin had anything to do with it. It's like saying Biden help Obama...he didnt! If they replaced Biden with Joe the plummer or Joe six-pack or even Joe Dirt...Obama still would have won. McCain's age did him in.
    Not his fault, it's just the way it is.

November 6, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  16. Here we go

@ Jim D

Perfect example of what I mean about you disgusting McCain supporters. Its like you want Obama to fail, therefore ruining our country in the process, just so you can be right and to call those inspired by Obama loons. You McCain supporters are the type to cut your noses off to spite your own faces. Lets say Obama actually does an excellent job as president, which will benefit all of pouting McCain supporters (unfortunantely), what will you say then about people who would rather hope than be cynical? If it does happen, do us all a favor, take your new found prosperity and move to Canada.

November 6, 2008 11:26 pm at 11:26 pm |
  17. pam Eugene OR

I am trying so hard to forgive this horrible woman but I just can't!
    She is not qualified for Alaska dog catcher let alone Governor.
    She should have said no to McCain She should have said I am way too stupid to be VP.
    Instead she stirred up hate and conflict in her hate filled rallies. I wish there was a crime we could charge her with but stupid is not against the law.
    Please Sarah slink back into the slime you oozed from and never ever be heard form again
    Never would be too soon.
    Alaska, I hope there are a few of you up there with a higher than 3rd grade education and you retire the corrupt Palin and Stevens to the oblivion they so richly deserve. Your children need you so go go og and try to be a better person.

November 6, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  18. Jeff

I continue to be amazed that most of the discussion about Palin is about all the nonsensical moves made by the cloud of campaign around her.

What is critical to consider and focus on - yes even McCain and Palin did not win - is to focus on how dis-interested, uneducated, and unviable this woman is as a serious candidate for any office.

She is woefully unprepared to handle the media.

Does anyone care that she almost made it to number 2? The woman who was miffed at the media for asking her questions?

Three points:
    Dinosaurs
    Africa
    North America

Need I say more? (but i will) - in the final analysis, we should all ask ourselves this: why are we so willing to consider electing someone so clearly unprepared to the highest (2nd highest) office in the land?

Ask youself that next time you consider someone simply because of how you feel about one or two issues OR because of their gender or race.

Congratulations President-elect Obama!

November 6, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  19. M@RK

CNN does a good job of giving each side a fair shot, but with regard to this lady, I simply disagree that she is ready to be in the political system. If you want to say that she was portrayed in a bad light, think again. All of the candidates were shown at some point in a bad light; the issue is are you above that, and can you handle the rough as well as the easy. Maybe she can handle rough times, who knows. My point is that she, in no way, came across as someone who is educated enough to be at the white house. I am sorry that she was even in the race. I thought that having her on the ticket was not helpful. She doesn't have enough knowledge to handle the task expected of a Vice President. I wonder how she managed to be govorner. She was out of place here, and she looked like a joke.

November 6, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  20. rose

More ugliness from the GOP. Don't get me wrong…I really couldn't stand Palin from day one, but this is really ridiculous. I've always considered myself an independent, but this election has definitely pushed me towards the democrats. The republican party is a disgrace.

November 6, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  21. Al

We really have to move forward now. Griping back and forth between the McCain and Palin camps won't accomplish anything. We have to all make a committment to all be fully bi-partisan and work together and not start talking in terms of my party vs your party, but finally just coming together. That is the only way to make progress.

November 6, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  22. Mike in San Antonio

I love to see losers who have never done squat for this country come out and slam a perfectly decent woman who has made something of her self. I have one word your you idiots....Jealousy!

God Bless Gov Palin.

November 6, 2008 11:28 pm at 11:28 pm |
  23. KJL

After seeing her extremist religious beliefs, I bet Palin thought the lord himself had chosen her to rule, and John McCain was a pest who got in the way. She's a stupid, grabby woman, but unfortunately she'll be around for a long time.

November 6, 2008 11:30 pm at 11:30 pm |
  24. Bob

Ok, for as much as I dislike Palin, I do agree that hidden sources should not be given press space.

On the other hand, those of you who think highly of her or think that anyone who dislikes her is a misogamist (look it up dumbo) clearly is too stupid to see how pathetic she was as a running mate. The press did not put her pathetic statements in her mouth, the press did not erase her brain. She was one of the most uninformed people I have ever seen.

Lastly, I actually think she is very smart, but simply not informed, which suggests to me that she is also not interested.

November 6, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |
  25. Wanderer

I AM VERY GLAD ABOUT FOR WHOM I VOTED. PEOPLE OF AMERICA
    NO LONGER NEED TO ARGUE OR GUESS WHY MCCAIN/PALIN SHOULD NOT BE ELECTED.

November 6, 2008 11:31 pm at 11:31 pm |