November 7th, 2008

McCain to return to the Senate next week

John McCain is set to return to the Senate next week.
John McCain is set to return to the Senate next week.

(CNN) - Former GOP presidential candidate John McCain will return to the Senate next week to participate in the lame duck session, his chief of staff Mark Buse tells CNN.

Buse calls McCain “eager” to get back to work in the Senate, saying they talked about focusing specifically on Iraq, Afghanistan and the struggling economy.

McCain is now at his home near Sedona, Arizona, where he went the morning after the election.

Senator Lindsey Graham, R-South Carolina, among McCain’s close friends who were with him at his creek-side cabin this week, tells CNN that McCain is of course disappointed with the election’s outcome.

“He put his heart in it. It didn’t turn out the way he liked,” Graham said.

However, Graham also says McCain is a “duty bound guy who won’t go A.W.O.L. from his duties in the Senate.” Graham insists McCain is determined to fight President-elect Barack Obama on his tax plan, but is also eager to “find common ground” on other big issues.

Graham reiterated what he told CNN election night, that he hopes McCain will become the next “lion” of the Senate who works across the aisle to find compromise on key legislation.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. California Gold

Well, I do blame McCain for running an ugly campaign. I also hold him responsible for the Palin mess. Having recently returned from Europe, I can't count the number of Europeans who pressed me about Palin and vocalized their concern. Was she the very best the Republican Party could offer? And when she ran her hate filled, bigoted rallies with local law enforcement shouting Hussein Obama to get the crowd angry and vocal, then saluting the crowds in approval, and Palin picking up where the hateful bigots left off, made me think of the civil rights marches and the dogs and hoses and clubs.

November 7, 2008 07:58 pm at 7:58 pm |
  2. Skunk Meat Anyone?

When you get back into the Senate old man, BOW DOWN and take a knee.

Solider up!

November 7, 2008 08:03 pm at 8:03 pm |
  3. Daniel Wagle

I voted for Barack Obama in the general election after voting for Hillary in the primaries. I really don't see the point in continuing to trash McCain. He, to me is not that bad as a person. It's his ideas and his party that are bad. I have read that he refused to bring up the Reverend Wright. There were many dirty tactics that he refused to use. I used to demonize Republicans, but after reading some of the comments by the more hard core Obama supporters, I don't demonize them anymore, esp. not John McCain, who I consider to be better than most in his party. Some people accuse him of using racist arguments. I have seen many ageist comments by many of the more hard core Obama supporters. Would I ever vote for McCain? NO WAY, NO HOW. Do I have respect for him as a person? Yes, I do. Anyone who is not that well regarded in his own Republican party cannot be that bad as a person.

November 7, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  4. Helen

ALL the best to you and Governor Palin – She is wonderful!

November 7, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  5. Mike Dallas

Your war history makes you no better than the thousands of other veterans that were prisoners of war, no matter how many times you told us you were the best.

Your dispicable campaign of hate and divisiveness shows you have no honor and not a shred of integrity.

I am glad the citizens of AZ still have some faith in you, altho, I think the maverick aspect will turn, after all, a maverick is a horse or cow that is no longer part of the herd, and is alone and lost in the wilderness, and so shall you be.

And you have no one to blame but John McCain.

November 7, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  6. Patrick

It's so laughable that everyone on here thinks he ran the dirty campaign. Obama ran MORE negative campaigns than McCain and you can look it up if you don't believe me. McCain kept his word about public campaign money, Obama didn't. McCain kept his honor, just like he always has.

November 7, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  7. Mark Ramsey MD Milwaukee WI

I actively campaigned for Obama, because I thought John McCain would take us further in the wrong direction. But I do respect him and believe he's a true patriot. It's time for him to put up or shut up; let's see you accept the will of the people and work with the democrats, Mr. McCain.

November 7, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  8. Polly

Moderator- My comment from 7:30 is still awaiting moderation- it's now 8:24.

November 7, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  9. Obama 08

To "WELCOME TO THE OBAMA SHOW" haven't you and others learned anything from the way Obama ran his campaign. There is nothing that is over his head. And, if you think this is over his head, just what would it have been for McCain and Palin???!!!!!!

Those two still thought that to incite racism would win them an election!!

November 7, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  10. RLT

Good luck McCain!! Thanks for the exciting campaign! Bye!! I hope that our collegues have not lost total respect for you!! I hope that someday you enlighten others how th 'get Osama Bin Laden' since you 'know how to get him'. It would seem to me if you actually KNEW your American duty would be to let others know. o.O LOL! But let me stop...good luck Go back to Arizona. Get some rest.

November 8, 2008 01:34 am at 1:34 am |
  11. Brendan H., San Antonio, TX

John, be sure to go around the Senate and thank all the GOP Senators who turned out and campaigned for you. That should take about 10 seconds!

No doubt they'll "back you" in 2012! Then you can run against Caribou Barbie, because she's in the game!

November 8, 2008 11:34 am at 11:34 am |
  12. Madge

Superbly illuminatnig data here, thanks!

June 24, 2011 07:40 am at 7:40 am |