November 7th, 2008

McCain to return to the Senate next week

John McCain is set to return to the Senate next week.
John McCain is set to return to the Senate next week.

(CNN) - Former GOP presidential candidate John McCain will return to the Senate next week to participate in the lame duck session, his chief of staff Mark Buse tells CNN.

Buse calls McCain “eager” to get back to work in the Senate, saying they talked about focusing specifically on Iraq, Afghanistan and the struggling economy.

McCain is now at his home near Sedona, Arizona, where he went the morning after the election.

Senator Lindsey Graham, R-South Carolina, among McCain’s close friends who were with him at his creek-side cabin this week, tells CNN that McCain is of course disappointed with the election’s outcome.

“He put his heart in it. It didn’t turn out the way he liked,” Graham said.

However, Graham also says McCain is a “duty bound guy who won’t go A.W.O.L. from his duties in the Senate.” Graham insists McCain is determined to fight President-elect Barack Obama on his tax plan, but is also eager to “find common ground” on other big issues.

Graham reiterated what he told CNN election night, that he hopes McCain will become the next “lion” of the Senate who works across the aisle to find compromise on key legislation.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Woman Against Palin

Aware: You're kidding- right? Sarah Palin in 2012 – she can't even light a candle to Obama – Could you actually see her making an acceptance speech like he did on Wednesday night – get real! She is incompetent from start to finish.

November 7, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  2. MattH

Well said Marc PDX.
    Thank you McCain.
    You made many of us proud.
    You are a true American.

November 7, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  3. BKMC

Mc is back in the senate, that is where he belongs and he should keep his promise to work with Obama and support him to address the economic mess created by WBush/Cheney/McCain's policies on deregulation.

November 7, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  4. Independent

Unlike his ads, his concession speech was very sincere. I applaud him for that. If he was that sincere from the get-go, it may have changed the outcome. In any case, back to work.

November 7, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  5. danilo

FREENLOV

Watch your words you obamacom you can receive a big surprise and you will regret about it

People like you: Obamacoms who aggressively attack all of Obama's candidates are creating your own cancer. Your generation will make sick and tired the next generation who will fight and destroy you to end your wave of hate and unfair participation in the political game even

November 7, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  6. coherent1

Please Senator, please don't fight President Obama on giving me a tax break. I don't make $250,000 per year. I spent most of my tax break money on gas for the past 4 years. I know you and President-EjectBush made it look like you were doing us a favor, with the phony tax break, but you really stuck it to us. So do me a favor and stay away from the President.

November 7, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  7. CP-Texas

I'm an Obama supporter but I think Mr. McCain is a valuable servant and true HERO for his country. Welcome back Senator.

November 7, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  8. sandee in Portland

Well, of course he's going to fight Obama's tax plan. After all, it will affect his wealthy friends as well as himself. This is one of the main reasons, along with Palin, that I didn't vote for him. McCain is one of the many career politicians that need to be voted out of office. We should have term limits on congress and the senate just like we do the presidency. I honestly believe most of these politicians are idealist when they become one and firmly believe they can help the people and our country. However, after being in office for a period of years, they seem to forget why they became a politician and start only thinking of the perks they, themselves, get.

November 7, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  9. Military Woman

Welcome back my foot.

Who wants him back after the true self he has revealed to America?

John McCain could have been responsible for creating the biggest racial divide in this century. He is the dirtiest, nastiest, most low-down politician I have seen in years.

His integrity is shot.

His credibility is shot.

He has turned on Palin when it was his fault for picking an imbecile and a hate monger and a racist.

Don't come back to the Senate.

Go Home, John. Become extinct like a good dinosaur.

Your time is done. You are the past. The past we would like to forget.

And leave Cindy alone, preferably several states away, to live her own private hell.

November 7, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  10. Jack

Senator McCain is going back to do what he and his republican cohorts do best when they don't have the majority, obstruct progress.

John McCain and his fellow republican congressmen and George Bush and his administration accomplished what republicans have been trying to do my whole lifetime and I'm 64 years old, they reversed FDR's new deal. What John McCain and George Bush have given us is the "old deal" of enriching the elite.

November 7, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  11. suzanne, western NY

Hopefully the "old" John McCain will return to the senate next week. I respected McCain until he "changed" during the campaign. I am hoping that as he stated in his concession speech on Tuesday night that he will reach out and be willing to work with the new President elect Obama. At this critical point in our nations history enough with the fighting and bickering., there are to many very serious issues facing this nation and everyone needs to be mature and work together to get our country out of this deep hole.

Rememeber this is America whether we are a Democracy and it wont matter what "side" your on if the ship sinks, it still sinks.

Hopefully, John McCain will be able to extend the graciousness he did and work with all to accomplish much.

November 7, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  12. Dan

John, while I heartily disagree with the way you ran your campaign near the end, I do not think you an evil man. I think you a man whose ego got in the way of good sense. Old, powerful men are used to getting what they want, and when that didn't happen, McCain didn't know how to respond.

I hope you are sincere, Mr. McCain. And I hope that you and President-elect Obama, both being men pledging to serve this country, can work together. It sounds cliche and cheesy, but we need it right now.

November 7, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  13. FLewis

John McCane needs to retire

November 7, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  14. Polly

It's time for America to start respecting their veterans and to count their blessings. Senator McCain deserves the utmost respect for his lifetime of caring for this nation.

November 7, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  15. Vegas Barbie for Obama

to Aware: for you to even put Palin in the same BOOK as Hillary, let alone the same sentence, speaks to the spell the redneck Alaskan witch truly cast over some Repubs. While I supported Obama from Primary through his win, Hillary is a woman of substance, experience and INTELLIGENCE. Palin is a wookie compared to HRC.

November 7, 2008 04:05 pm at 4:05 pm |
  16. Ursula

He's like a woman... says one thing, means another... and I'm a woman. I should know! That is also typically republican of him. I don't understand why our country can't seem to meet in the middle.

November 7, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  17. Janice

Good Luck Mr. McCain, I'm sure you would have made a excellent president.

November 7, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  18. Mike from Vancouver BC

So...he's not interested in getting Usama bin Ladin? Apparently he know know but plans on keeping it a secret.

November 7, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  19. CW

How pathetic you people are......Your candidate won and you're still attacking John McCain. How can someone run a "nasty campaign" when what they are saying is true????? You'll be begging for John McCain when Obama bankrupts our country and throws us into a depression!

November 7, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  20. FORMER GOP

Will he ever apologize to all Americans for choosing Palin? I think he owes us.

November 7, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  21. Joe

Bruce you wrote "it would be interesting to see if he reaches across the aisle." Are you kidding me? This guy has been reaching across the aisle his entire career. You can't deny that and if you do it just shows your stubborness to accept that fact and your lack of knowledge of who has done what in Washington. Learn the facts before you and your idiot Obama freaks write comments on this ticker.

November 7, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  22. Don

For those of you who still claim McCain ran a negatice campaign...check your facts,President elect Obama actually ran more negative attacks than McCain. Let it go. The people who study this stuff have already said this was not a nasty campaign, as some in the past have been. Can you on-line people stop your attacks and follow our new Presidents advice...stop the fighting and work together...and I didn't support Obama, but he is my President.

November 7, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  23. Annabelle

Good luck John! Thank you for your courage during the long, hard campaign. Please continue to fight for our country in the Senate. Take care and Godspeed!

November 7, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  24. Mike Jones

Already? He should go to the great state of Alaska and hang out with that pitbull named Sarah. BTW, did she give all the clothes to charity?

November 7, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  25. ANGIE

OBAMA SUPPORTERS STOP ATTACKING JOHN MCCAIN I AM AN OBAMA SUPPORTER AND I SAY ENOUGH IS ENOUGH THE CAMPAIGNS ARE OVER MCCAIN SERVED OUR COUNTRY AND HE STILL IS A UNITED STATES SENATOR SHOW SOME RESPECT!

November 7, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |