November 7th, 2008

McCain to return to the Senate next week

John McCain is set to return to the Senate next week.
John McCain is set to return to the Senate next week.

(CNN) - Former GOP presidential candidate John McCain will return to the Senate next week to participate in the lame duck session, his chief of staff Mark Buse tells CNN.

Buse calls McCain “eager” to get back to work in the Senate, saying they talked about focusing specifically on Iraq, Afghanistan and the struggling economy.

McCain is now at his home near Sedona, Arizona, where he went the morning after the election.

Senator Lindsey Graham, R-South Carolina, among McCain’s close friends who were with him at his creek-side cabin this week, tells CNN that McCain is of course disappointed with the election’s outcome.

“He put his heart in it. It didn’t turn out the way he liked,” Graham said.

However, Graham also says McCain is a “duty bound guy who won’t go A.W.O.L. from his duties in the Senate.” Graham insists McCain is determined to fight President-elect Barack Obama on his tax plan, but is also eager to “find common ground” on other big issues.

Graham reiterated what he told CNN election night, that he hopes McCain will become the next “lion” of the Senate who works across the aisle to find compromise on key legislation.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Diana K.

Apparently the Obama followers didn't listen to his speech too carefully on election night. Stop the immaturity and the attacks. As he said, we are one nation. (I did not vote for him, but I certainly do not wish for him to fail and you are not helping him at all by trying to divide people with your venmous attacks.) You did the same thing to Clinton. Grow up. McCain is a great and honorable man and because of men like him you have the freedom to spew your hatred in this forum. Having said that, McCain should come out and defend Palin from the attacks from unnamed sources in his camp. What cowards! All heresay and unsubstantiated attacks. I look forward to seeing Palin in the future, a truly breathe of fresh air.

November 7, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  2. k in Texas

Although I am an ardent Obama supporter, I have a GREAT deal of respect for John McCain. I lost some of that sentiment, during the run up to the election but I fault his campaign staff instead of the man. I agree that, especially since the election is over, PLEASE no more McCain/Palin bashing – it is NOT good for this Country and NOT fair to either of them. I was especially moved by McCain's thoughtful concession speech – it was enough to re-establish my FULL respect for this man. I wish John McCain a succesful return and a happy Life.

November 7, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  3. WIlly Brown

Good run John. Too bad you were out marketed by the liberal media in love with a no name. We will soon see how fast he flounders.

November 7, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  4. Chut Pata

Go back to senate and become the man you once were, the man everyone loved except the right wing whacos like Limbaugh.

You concession speech proved you can be the same guy again. You stool tall in the speech showed what you once were.

November 7, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  5. Independent Dave, Iowa

Thank you for your service to this country Senator! We need Senators like you!

November 7, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  6. jb

Funny, he used to basically agree with Obama's tax policy before he ran for President.

How about McCain letting Obama know how to "fix" the economy, and "catch" Bin Ladin? He hinted towards those abilities in the 3rd debate.

November 7, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  7. danel

CW wrote: You'll be begging for John McCain when Obama bankrupts our country and throws us into a depression.

Oh my...Are we on easy street now?? Last time I checked we are bankrupts and our country is in depression. Haven't you heard Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, AIG, Lehman Bros. just got bailout. Now the auto industry and who know what else. Time to wake up and drink your coolaid.

November 7, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  8. OHIO GOES "BLUE"!

There was NOTHING honorable about your campaign. Shame on you!

November 7, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  9. Chris from St. Louis

Welcome back to senate, Mr. McCain. All the best ...

November 7, 2008 04:14 pm at 4:14 pm |
  10. AEJ - Miami

At age 72, I think it is time he retires. He does look very tired. People usually retire at age 65. These older folks do need to step aside and make space for bright, upcoming young peole. John McCain has serve his time.

November 7, 2008 04:15 pm at 4:15 pm |
  11. Chut Pata

... one more thing. Keep your distance from the guys was 1/2 of "Sore Loserman 2000" and become "Joe the Loserman 2008". You don't know what he is up to next.

November 7, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  12. Laura, Boston

Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    Way to go Senator McCain!

Before you get back to the Senate however, could you please have a small press conference and take some of the unnecessary burden off Sarah Palin.

As a woman, I can't believe how the MSM is treating her based on the cowardeous words of someone who remains anomous. That is pathetic. She brought thousands of people to hear you speak and energized your campaign. Help her out now when she needs it.

Thanks,
    Laura, Boston

CNN why is my comment still (since 3:31 awaiting moderation). Did I say something to offend???

November 7, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  13. Polly

You know Ursula, I think he means exactly what he says...I think he endured some tramatic things at a fairly young age and I think that inspires him to be a "better" man today.

November 7, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  14. John P.

I'm a lifelong Democrat. When this election began to take shape, my first choice was Hillary, but my intent if she didn't get the nomination was to vote for John McCain. I've met him before, and he's an honorable man and a true American hero. We're both Navy veterans, and I admired his independent streak and wept for the way he was maligned in 2000 by W. and his gang of cutthroats. Unfortunately, that same John McCain wasn't able to run in 2008. Out of necessity, he had to make a political choice to mend some of the fences he damaged with the right wing of his party, because he knew if he didn't he'd never get the nomination. That necessity, along with the perfect storm of a bad economy, an unpopular President, and a general anti-Republican mood doomed him. The fact that he competed as well as he did is a credit to his grit and determination. I'm glad to have him back in the Senate, and I hope he'll feel free to be the same "straight talking" John McCain that so inspired me in 2000.

November 7, 2008 04:17 pm at 4:17 pm |
  15. Spencer/Virginia

I wonder how he plans on reaching across the aisle after demeaning so many people. He should give his seat up to Palin......Sike! At least Palin will be able to work with the Obama Administration on bringing energy independence. What can McCain bring to the table? All he's brought to the country these past few months is diviseveness.

November 7, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  16. Joshua College Station Texas

Why should McCain fight Obama on his tax plan? I thought the voters of the country had spoken. Obama has a mandate. It ought not to be about Republican ideals, but about accomplishing the will of the people. I guess I'm just naive and idealistic.

November 7, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  17. Salt

He deserves a break. It was a long campaign. I didn't vote for him, but I do respect him and it will be good to have him back in the Senate.

November 7, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  18. James

A complete reason for Not Voting for McCain was Lindsey Graham !
    And if Graham were to leave the Senate it will certainly be a Plus for South Carolina.

November 7, 2008 04:19 pm at 4:19 pm |
  19. Janice

you know this man is 7o years plus and he put up a fight that some 50 year olds couldn't handle, he served his country as a pow, that was mocked by many, all of his life he feels that he has worked for the better for his country and he has done more than most of us ever will. He deserves respect, even if you disagree with him on the issues, it's time to let him rest and get off of him so that he can finish working for the country that he loves, leave Palin alone too, you no longer have to deal with this issue anymore it's time to be kind!!

November 7, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  20. The Stallion & The Champ vs. The Old Mule & Winky Half-baked Alaska

With a paper bag over his head and two eyeholes I presume?

November 7, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  21. Lola Dee

OBAMAMANIA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 7, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  22. jeremy

the senate needs John there to help get our country out of this mess. with men like John in the senate and Barack in the White House, we will be better off.

Change begins now.

November 7, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  23. David, Silver Spring, MD

Let's see how he's accepted upon his return, what with his charges of socialism and communism against our next president. Somebody said "elections have consequences," well, so do campaigns.

November 7, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  24. Shari, NY

Obama supporter wishing Sen. McCain all the best despite the blighted campaign the GOP ran.

November 7, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  25. obama usa

you showed your true colors mccain, i lost all respect for you, your nasty campaign could have cost president obama his life, i can't forget this, why don't you apologize.

November 7, 2008 04:22 pm at 4:22 pm |