November 7th, 2008

McCain to return to the Senate next week

John McCain is set to return to the Senate next week.
John McCain is set to return to the Senate next week.

(CNN) - Former GOP presidential candidate John McCain will return to the Senate next week to participate in the lame duck session, his chief of staff Mark Buse tells CNN.

Buse calls McCain “eager” to get back to work in the Senate, saying they talked about focusing specifically on Iraq, Afghanistan and the struggling economy.

McCain is now at his home near Sedona, Arizona, where he went the morning after the election.

Senator Lindsey Graham, R-South Carolina, among McCain’s close friends who were with him at his creek-side cabin this week, tells CNN that McCain is of course disappointed with the election’s outcome.

“He put his heart in it. It didn’t turn out the way he liked,” Graham said.

However, Graham also says McCain is a “duty bound guy who won’t go A.W.O.L. from his duties in the Senate.” Graham insists McCain is determined to fight President-elect Barack Obama on his tax plan, but is also eager to “find common ground” on other big issues.

Graham reiterated what he told CNN election night, that he hopes McCain will become the next “lion” of the Senate who works across the aisle to find compromise on key legislation.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. a voter 2

Obama would have done the same thing. I think that is a respectful thing for Mccain to do. UNITE !

November 7, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  2. a voter 2

John Mccain will treat President Elect Obama with the upmost respect... Just as ALL OF US CONSERVATIVES need to do.................................UNITE UNITE UNITE. We have a Country in TROUBLE>>

November 7, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  3. Matt

OH NO!!!! HIS HAND IS OVER HIS HEART...IS HE FARCING???? QUICK, GET TEH PADDLES!!!

November 7, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  4. new_dem

As 'Ken in Florida' said, McCain can be one of Barack Obama's most effective tools in the Senate. I had many problems with McCain's campaign tactics, but he's an excellent senator with the unique ability to influence his peers and promote bipartisanship.

November 7, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  5. Scott

For the record let me state that in the 2000 primaries I voted for McCain. In nearly 20 years of voting I had mostly voted Republican. I have considered myself a moderate by most standards. This year I voted with no shame whatsoever for Barack Obama. You far right conservatives need to come to the realization that you ....yes you and your ilk lost because moderates and independents like me voted against you. The so-called party of small government has become anything but. Spend, spend, spend...war, war, war...and of course you want the government to enter peoples personal lives and govern on social issues. This is not small government you twits. This is not the party of Lincoln or T. Roosevelt or even Goldwater. So when I hear idiots like Terry Perkins say the Republicans lost because of the moderates I can't help but laugh at this dying party. The republicans need to look to the future not the past.....no more rallying around Reagan and being the absolutist morons you have become. Its about the economy, war, health care, and education, not fsocial issues like gay marriage and abortion issues. This is not a theocracy, quit letting the religious right pull your strings. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, while expecting different results. Wake up.

November 7, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  6. stuartx

Sen McCain- Thanks for your service to our country. Now that the election is over, maybe those bitter people that once cared for you and supported you will come to their senses.
    You are a true American Patriot.

November 7, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  7. Great Concession Speech

I gained a little respect for McCain during his concession speech.

However, that does not make up for his kook campaign and the division he created in his blind quest for the Presidency. He is a has been. His career is over and he is in the twilight of his life.

Thank the Great Spirit that he did not get elected.

November 7, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  8. DB25

Is the real John McCain returning the Senate or that one who was running for president? I never want to see that "presidential" McCain again.....the old McCain was wayyyyyyyyyyyy more likeable and intelligent than that presidential one!

November 7, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  9. Yolanda

I am happy to hear this! John is a valuable member of the Senate and will make a substantial contribution. I didn't vote for him because he chose Sarah Palin but I do believe he is an honorable man and I am very happy he is going back!

November 7, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  10. MN from Phoenix, AZ

I wish John McCain the best of luck returning to the Senate. Although I didn't vote for him this round, (I did in 2000) I hope to see the Maverick we all remember return and not the man who ran for President.

I'm glad to see McCain is staying out of the bickering between his campaign aids and Palin's campaign. He has a very important job and that is what he is good at.

God speed back to the Senate.

November 7, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  11. Niki, New Jersey

I respect McCain for his service and sacrafice for the country we ALL love. I don't think he owes any of us an apology for selecting Palin either. He made a choice, he lost and he will carry that with him forever. I am also glad that the truth is leaking out about Palin from his camp. She cost him many votes and caused the country a great deal of damage with her hateful rallys, which we are learning now, were not sanctioned by McCain. She dragged him down and now wants to use the opportunity he gave her to climb the political ladder to 2012? He gave her a chance of a lifetime and she should have declined if she was not ready. She wasnt ready and we all saw it unfold. I know there are many who appreciated Palin and supported her but not one of you was ever going to even give Obama a chance to begin with. Palin is interesting and new and charming and for those reasons she drew attention and crowds, but she was never Commander In Chief material, at least not this time and maybe never. History has always stated that the Vice President selection will never WIN you the election but it can certainly LOSE one for you. Back to the Senate for McCain to serve out his term and he has my complete respect but the President Elect has my loyalty and support. The people have spoken. We live by the Constituion of the United States, keep that in mind all of you who are so quick to slime the President Elect. I would also advise those who oppose him to do it in the spirit of the First Amendment and not in the arena of hate. Threats will not be tolerated.

November 7, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  12. CANADIANS FOR OBAMA

As a Canadian who watched history in the making, I am still amazed at how ignorance can still shine so brighltly. Sen McCain did run a very nasty campaign and anyone who did not see that has blinders on. The Senator did serve his country well in the past and if he chooses not to retire I am sure he will serve his country well again. However the USA is now taking a new path. When this well educated, well tempered with Christ like qualities, man brings your country back to its greatness it once had, all Americans will benefit whether you are a racist or not. Even if the recist refuses to admit it. I can understand the some Americans can not image that a Black man can be educated, have common sense and great character. Maybe they need to revistit Dr. MLK's "I have a dream" speech. Oh wait a minute, THEY WOULDN'T GIVE HIM A CHANCE EITHER.

November 7, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  13. Nija

The McCain that I saw on the eve of Nov. 4th was the McCain of 2000. It is a shame how you changed overnight because of political gains.

November 7, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  14. Independent

I am hoping that McCain will be able to work with Obama and the Dems. I would have voted for him if he had not selected Palin as his VP. Now, I am 100% behind the candidate I voted for Obama. And really hope that all senators Republican and Democrats can and will work together to resolve this crisis that we are in. I need a job.

November 7, 2008 05:39 pm at 5:39 pm |
  15. es

McCain we need you more loud and straighforward than ever before!!!!

November 7, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  16. Meka

AS AMERICA WATCHED MCCAIN'S CAMPAIGN . . . DON'T THINK I LIKE THE IDEA OF HIM BEING IN POSITION OF MAKING DECISIONS!

November 7, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  17. T

Time to call it quits, give it up! You'd make a nice greeter at Wal-Mart

Stay home and enjoy your golden years, take a trip around the world, or go visit Sara Palin. Maybe you guys can go hunting together, smoke a cigar and talk about who's the better maverick. Bye, bye!

November 7, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  18. Frontporchwatcherr

I'm still irritated by the 2000 election. I wrote in Al Gore.

November 7, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  19. Rob Johnson

Ease up, everybody. I wasn't happy with McCain's campaign either, but his concession speech was uncommonly gracious, and ironically enough, I expect McCain to be one of Obama's key GOP allies.

Now that he has gotten his presidential ambitions out of his system, maybe McCain can finish his career on a high note by working with Obama for the good of the country.

November 7, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  20. Michael, Houston Texas

I don't think many of you are being fair. McCain ran his campaign and lost. Yes he said some boneheaded things. Yes he let the RNC dictate his VP choice. Yes he went retro in his ideology of how how win a campaign. But you got to give hime some love for what he did Tuesday night. That there folks who didn't know John McCain before was the John McCain we all knew. I guess he was so eager to win that he forgot about who he was and that will haunt him for the rest of his life. Although I have full support in President Obama, I have regained some respect for you Senator McCain, and I wish you well and hope you can continue to be that "Maverick" in the Senate. And Senator McCain, tell the junior people in your party to never change who you are no matter what. I hope that is the lesson that you have learned Senator McCain.

November 7, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  21. Colin

I'm glad to see he's getting back to the job he was elected to do. Diehard McCain supporters need to cool down, the election is over you can stop spreading lies now about Obama. I don't understand why they think Obama is so "scary" he was surrounded by big named people on both sides throughout his campaign and is expected to be surrounded by respected people in Washington during his Presidency. Contrary to what McCain had lied about during his campaign none of his ideas are "radical" and even the Republicans who supported McCain are saying that Obama really isn't "far left" liberal, but instead he is actually "center". What is truly scary is the fact that George Bush the last 8 years has destroyed our country, economy, and respect in the world. The last 8 years is scary not Obama. GET OVER IT he's your President whether you like it or not so enough of the whining, nothings going to improve by sitting around and crying about the McCain loss.

November 7, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  22. Obama/Biden 08

Go for it, Senator. Let's hope that we see the McCain of 2000 in the Senate, and not the McCain of 2008.

November 7, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  23. Allen in Hartwell, GA

Senator Graham promised his state that he (Graham) would "fight President Obama tooth and nail". I expect Senator McCain to do the same. It will be good when Arizona and SC get new senators who don't have the partisian baggage to prevent them with working with the Democrats.

November 7, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  24. 60 year old, white female for Obama

I feel sorry for McCain, who after being so critical of eveyone in Congress including Repulicans, and having few people in Congress actually get out and campaign for him, does he really have a party??

Maybe Leiberman and he can start their own!!

November 7, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  25. Ken in NC

Senator McCain, you ran the most nasty and vile campaign in history. I lost a lot of the admiration I held for you as a Hero. Well there were moments during the campaign when I saw the McCain I came to know you to be years ago. I will continue to respect and honor you as a hero to this great nation. You gave above and beyond the call of duty during your time in the service. I hope when you return to the senate that you will once again be the McCain I long knew and honored.

Whoyahhhh