November 7th, 2008

Obama: Economy to be top priority

President-elect Obama met with his economic advisors Friday before holding his first press conference since the general election.

CHICAGO, Illinois (CNN) - In his first public remarks since he delivered his victory speech Tuesday night, President-elect Barack Obama vowed Friday that restoring the nation's economic equilibrium will be a major priority of his administration.

"I do not underestimate the enormity of the task that lies ahead," he told reporters at the Hilton Hotel. "We have taken some major action to date and we will take further action."

Obama said that, if the lame-duck Congress fails to reach an agreement on a stimulus package before he takes office January 20, passing such a package will be his first move.

Full story

1. butternj

One President at a time. Jan 20th is Barack's turn. Bush is still making a mess out of things right now over 1 million jobs loss within 1 year? GOP's don't complain to the president to be. Make your complaints to the one in charge now. After all, you did vote him in. AND YOU VOTED FOR HIM TWICE.

November 7, 2008 03:51 pm at 3:51 pm |
  2. vicki

I would like to know what his plan is for refurbishing the white house. and how much money is spent on this. With all the cleaning people and such at the white house isn't the things that are already there good enough? Wouldn't it be a better idea to maybe put this money to better use! After all we don't get all new stuff because we can't aford it . So why do they when the economy is so bad , seems the money could really be spent better!

November 7, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  3. Kurt

I just hope the Secret Service keeps track
    of some of the Whack Jobs that make seditious comments
    on these blogs.

Their motivations are obvious............

November 7, 2008 03:52 pm at 3:52 pm |
  4. Rob

And at the top of that priority is making sure Barry and his pals are well taken care of. Then, maybe he'll look into helping the peons he duped to voting for him.

November 7, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  5. Mike

Ian and It begins. . . what planet are you on? Time will tell but there is still some business of a Lame Duck session under Republican control before Obama is even sworn in.
    So quick to judge and there is nothing to judge so far. Take your blinders off and breathe deeply. Try to relax and stop hyperventilating.
    A more steady hand is ready to take over 01/20/09. Until then, your flapping gums are just that, flapping!

November 7, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  6. just me

doesn't he look good sitting in that spot? he sure did earn it.

November 7, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  7. Crue

spreading the wealth is a fantastic idea!! Hmmm, but how come Obama has never done it himself?

November 7, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  8. Proud to be American

Get it done Mr. P.... I am counting on you :0)

November 7, 2008 04:01 pm at 4:01 pm |
  9. XChange

>I just hope the Secret Service keeps track
    of some of the Whack Jobs that make seditious comments
    on these blogs.

>Their motivations are obvious…………'

And what's not seditious about the socialism Obama supports?

November 7, 2008 04:03 pm at 4:03 pm |
  10. XChange

>It's ashame how many people are waiting for him to fail. It's okay though, Obama, you already knew it would be like this, keep your head up! You will remain in my prayers.

I'm not waiting for him to fail, I'm waiting for his policies to fail. I'm sure Obama is a fine man–I never did support the personal attacks on him (or any other candidate). Nevertheless, I believe his agenda is heavily slanted toward socialism, I think that this is an afront to our founding fathers, and I believe that history shows these policies will ultimately fail. I just hope our country isn't hurt too much in the process.

November 7, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  11. Rosa

I watched Obama's speech and he really nailed it. I have no regrets voting for him, being a registered Republican. I have 100% confidence, he will turn the economy around.

November 7, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  12. katarina

Get Done imigration bill Dear Mr.President...I'm counting on you...help us to get a chance to have a legal status here in United States Of America,I would be proud to be American but I can be American only if I have chnce to have legal status here...

November 7, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  13. Jacqueline for Obama/Biden 08!

"It Begins...," you've never heard President Obama say that he would get the troops out of Iraq in a month, so stop lying for emphasis. It's time you let go of your anger and insecurities and start to respect him for who he is, the 44th President of the United States.

November 7, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  14. WIlly Brown

Our (tax) economy (tax) is (tax) our (tax) first(tax) concern(tax).

November 7, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  15. Hardworking lady

Critics need to sit down. Obama is doing exactly what he said he would do. He is tackling his priorities as he outlined in his campaign and he isn't taken a single moment for granted. He certainly could have taken the rest of theweek off like McCain but instead he has chosen to jump right in and work hard to fix our ails. He hasn't ceased to amaze me in the last 2 years.

November 7, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |
  16. Jim Pachikara

I hope Obama and Biden don't plan to just hand money over to GM and Ford. I like GM a lot, but I don't understand why they make such bad cars. They just don't match up to foreign cars. They know it, the american people know it... and no one wants American cars anymore. If it wasn't for the thousands of US citizens that they employee I would say not to help them out that they should be on their own.

But since I want my Corvette eventually, I'm sure they are going to help them out, but I at least hope they tell Ford and GM to make better cars if they want to stay in business.

November 7, 2008 04:16 pm at 4:16 pm |
  17. White Christian Mother for Obama

I dont like this stimulus plan thing… I started doing our taxes to see where we will stand. Usually we get a refund. We still get a refund but I was reminded of something. We have to pay back the $2100 we got a few months ago!!! Which lowers our refund. The economy has gotten worse… more have lost jobs… many will owe taxes and the pay back on the first one is due and they will either owe more back or get less of a refund.

My best idea would be to delay the first stimulus for another year, and give another stimulus for two years delay. So pay off the first one in 2010 and the second in 2011

Otherwise I dont see the purpose. Many wont put the money into the economy.

November 7, 2008 04:18 pm at 4:18 pm |
  18. XChange

>Get Done imigration bill Dear Mr.President…I'm counting on you…help us to get a chance to have a legal status here in United States Of America,I would be proud to be American but I can be American only if I have chnce to have legal status here…

I'd love to have you as an American-I'm sure you'd make a fine American-but it doesn't get to the root of the question of why you believe it's okay to commit a felony by jumping the wall in the middle of the night. I believe that anyone who wants to be in this country should be in this country, but you have to follow the existing laws and come in the front door. Laws that make this more difficult should be dismantled, but the fence that keeps others out should remain.

November 7, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  19. ricky

Whatever BARRY! Go back to the slums of Chicago where you did so much to help the community ( yeah right ). I hope your gone and outta my sight in 4 years you worthless CON MAN!!

November 7, 2008 04:20 pm at 4:20 pm |
  20. Ryan

Some of you are so quick to find excuses to criticize him because your candidate lost. That is fair, but for yours and our sake give him some credit and pray that he does a good job. This is a chance for our country to take a better approach and much better direction. Give him some time, he is a brilliant man who will put the best possible people around him so that he can get the job done....right.

November 7, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  21. ANGIE

Haters the more you bash our future President and say he will fail that will only make him stronger, Remember the bashing you did in the Primaries HE WON the Bashing you did in The General Election HE WON, so keep bashing President Elect Obama THAT WILL ONLY MAKE HIM STRONGER TO PROVE YOU WRONG

November 7, 2008 04:21 pm at 4:21 pm |
  22. Charles Atlanta

to ricky,
    You're just a racist with no brain!!

November 7, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  23. Dem to the End

Poor bitter bitter McSAME fans. WE had to suffer through 8 years of BUSH, can it already. YOUR GUY LOST!! Let's not forget BUSH stated the BLEEDING on Maintstreet. Don't blame Obama for wanting to try again to get this mess under control by offering another stimulus package....which by the way was already set to go by the BUSH admin. I say NO tot he package, but hen again, I'm not the President responsible for the well being of America!!

November 7, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  24. XChange

>So the Next Stimulus isnt really going to give us a boost, its going to keep us right were we are now. Those that normally will owe taxes will keep it to help pay for the extra they will owe from the first stimulus. It really defeats the point.

This is not an attack on Obama since this was clearly a bipartisan decision, but I hope that this highlights the fact that there's no such thing as a free lunch. I should note that this applies to both Democrats and Republicans--you can't cut taxes if you don't cut programs, and you can't keep spending (and printing money) forever. At some point, we'll have to make some hard decisions about priorities, the same way we make such decisions on a personal household level.

Numerous readers on the CNN website have commented about having to cut many things out of their life (some of which are important, such as medicine), and CNN itself has run similar stories. The government never seems to have this problem though-if they need more money, they simply borrow it or print it. The reality is that this can't go on forever.

For Republicans-continue to push for fiscal responsibility. Losing track of this key issue has made a lot of people angry-this party used to be the leader in this area. If you fail to do this, you'll have a hard time every convincing the American people you are sincere.

For Democrats-accept the fact that although your core mission can remain the same, you will HAVE to convince your party (from within) that it's okay to say "no" to social programs that are broken or not working, and it's okay to acknowledge that life isn't always fair and some of us will be rich and some will be poor. If you fail to do this, your financial policies will be your downfall (and you'll take the country with it).

November 7, 2008 04:29 pm at 4:29 pm |
  25. DaProfessor

A message to "it begins"
    The campaign is over! You and the other right-wing extremists can stop lying now and distorting the facts of everything.

The truly intelligent people are laughing at you neo-cons. Your buddies Bushy and Dicky drove the Untied States into a near-depression and took the country into a war based on a now obvious lie.

McCain, the puppit of the so-called Conservatives kept up the constant patter about losing the war if we pulled out of Iraq. Sad to see a Senator become so senile.

Facts .... We are no longer in a war in Iraq. We are in an Occupation, and you cannot win or lose an Occupation. Now the people of Iraq want us out of there on a fixed timetable. Those are the facts. Take em and stuff em!

November 7, 2008 04:30 pm at 4:30 pm |