November 7th, 2008

Obama: New dog could be 'mutt like me'

President-elect Obama told reporters Friday that his eldest daughter, Malia, has allergies which might preclude the family from adopting a shelter dog which would likely be a 'mutt' like Obama.

(CNN) – In his first press conference since winning the race to the White House, President-elect Barack Obama addressed a pressing question: who is going to be the first dog?

Obama told a group of reporters in Chicago on Friday that since his 10-year-old daughter, Malia, is allergic, the Obama family is looking for a hypoallergenic breed. But Obama also said the family wants to adopt one from a shelter.

Watch: Obama talks about the first dog

“There are a number of breeds that are hypoallergenic, but on the other hand our preference is to get a shelter dog, but obviously, a lot of the shelter dogs are mutts like me,” Obama said. “So, whether we are going to be able to balance those two things I think is a pressing issue on the Obama household.”

Obama is of mixed racial heritage: His mother was Caucasian and his father was African.

Obama announced in his victory speech on Election Day that his daughters had “earned” a puppy. Obama joked that this is a “major issue” and said that since Election Day, the family’s dog choice has created more interest than any other topic.

1. Kiah G.

Cute!

November 7, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  2. Lee-- Dallas, TX

Can't wait for this to get turned around...

It's good to see someone in such an office and position that is able to make fun of himself. We all know that comics will.

November 7, 2008 03:37 pm at 3:37 pm |
  3. Mark L.

I too have an allergic reaction to dogs. However, two breeds that I absolutely adore and think would make a GREAT Addition to the White House are either a purebred Doberman Pinscher or Rottweiler. Both breeds, if properly trained / disciplined are EXCEPTIONALLY GREAT with Children, and might I add, VERY Protective. Just a thought...

November 7, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  4. I got a President for my bday!

Let's hope comments like these don't become dissected and magnified under scope. It's all in good humor.

WELCOME MR. PRESIDENT! You DESERVED THIS AND THE AMERICAN PEOPLE NEEDED YOU!!!

November 7, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  5. Mr. Lugo

He should get a pit bull..... and maybe throw a little lipstick on it :)

November 7, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  6. Obama Supporter

No he didn't say "a mutt like me"..lmao

November 7, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  7. Valarie in Ohio

Well I am sure the girls and the nation will love the puppy. Looking forward to seeing the new family pet grow with the girls

November 7, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  8. Mel in GA

Well I thought that the comment was funny but some might take offense to being ref to as a mutt....especially since more and more Americans ar of mixed-race/ethnicity....someone will be offended. He was clearly being light-hearted though.

November 7, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  9. California Gold

Pound dogs are great, but you don't find a lot of puppies at the pound (if my area). Anyway hope the girls get to pick out an acceptable dog. I feared the Obamas would be inundated with gift dogs and that would rob the kids of finding the "right one" for them.

November 7, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  10. Nick

It was cute.

November 7, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  11. mb

Good to have some humor.

November 7, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  12. YOLA

Too funny! Although some may not find it so, many of us are "mutts" so we get it!

November 7, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |
  13. Vegas Barbie for Obama

I love our new President! After all, aren't most of us mutts to one degree or another (I'm Italian, Sicilian, Spanish and Irish)? His parents just happened to have different colored skin than each other. This man is going to have a fantastic presidency. I am so glad I campaigned, blogged and voted for him!
    p.s. I voted for the golden retriever in some online "which dog should the Obama's pick...but that's a no-go for Malia's allergies, for sure.

November 7, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  14. Truth Hurts

I think the media just go to far with reporting things sometimes. I hope you CNN and the rest of the media outlet will respect Obama's kids privacy just like you did with Chelsey and the Bush twins who were older!! Don't make this out of a media circus everyday!!

November 7, 2008 03:40 pm at 3:40 pm |
  15. Austin, Texas

so, it's ok for Obama to use racial overtones in his speeches, but noone else can....

Obama states: Mutt like me.

but if any white person said "Mutt like Obama".......

yea... enough said

November 7, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  16. pat huntington ny

hopefully their dog will be friendlier than the current white house mutt that just bit a reporter.

November 7, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  17. Vegas

Not to me... but I do like the shelter idea... Save a dog... and imagine going from the pound to the whitehouse lawn... lucky dog for sure.

November 7, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  18. Red, Red WHINE!!

Well sir, if you are a mutt, then a mutt is now the most noble of all breeds!

November 7, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  19. pa.joe

Shelter dogs are the best!!

November 7, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  20. Britt

A greyhound would be great! It would be a rescue. They are considered a hypoallergenic breed and make fantastic pets! Shedding is almost non-existent, no drolling, no dog-smell, low-energy, good with kids, etc. A greyhound would get my vote!

November 7, 2008 03:41 pm at 3:41 pm |
  21. malclave

And, of course, the dog will be more thoroughly vetted by the media than Obama himself was.

How about doing some investigation into Obama, CNN? You've already helped him get a position he may not deserve, so the harm is already done.

November 7, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  22. Kim, Charlotte, NC

That was funny..............

We love you, anyway.

November 7, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  23. Lisa

I'm a mutt too, Barack!

November 7, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  24. JW

The new first family will be a refreshing change!!!!

November 7, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  25. Joe

I saw the press conference and was amazed of the light weight questions asked by the reporters of our next President. I know it was meant to be funny but to ask what kind of dog he is going to get in the middle of a very serious press conference about our economy is stunning! If this press conference reflects how the next four years will be then I am really saddened. I wonder if the press core has ever asked Bush at a press conference how Barney was doing?

November 7, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |