November 7th, 2008

Obama: New dog could be 'mutt like me'

President-elect Obama told reporters Friday that his eldest daughter, Malia, has allergies which might preclude the family from adopting a shelter dog which would likely be a 'mutt' like Obama.

(CNN) – In his first press conference since winning the race to the White House, President-elect Barack Obama addressed a pressing question: who is going to be the first dog?

Obama told a group of reporters in Chicago on Friday that since his 10-year-old daughter, Malia, is allergic, the Obama family is looking for a hypoallergenic breed. But Obama also said the family wants to adopt one from a shelter.

Watch: Obama talks about the first dog

“There are a number of breeds that are hypoallergenic, but on the other hand our preference is to get a shelter dog, but obviously, a lot of the shelter dogs are mutts like me,” Obama said. “So, whether we are going to be able to balance those two things I think is a pressing issue on the Obama household.”

Obama is of mixed racial heritage: His mother was Caucasian and his father was African.

Obama announced in his victory speech on Election Day that his daughters had “earned” a puppy. Obama joked that this is a “major issue” and said that since Election Day, the family’s dog choice has created more interest than any other topic.

1. america wins

just choose what the little girls want, thats the most important thing.

November 7, 2008 03:42 pm at 3:42 pm |
  2. Shari, NY

Many of us are mutts and some of us don't even know it. United we stand – divided we fall!

November 7, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  3. A NATION OF WINERS.

WE LOVE MUTTS.

WE ARE A NATION OF MUTTS.

November 7, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  4. Joyce

i like the way he's able to find sense of humor and not get carried away by such non-sense.

one can tell how serious this man is with the task at hand. glad to hear from you mr. president elect.

November 7, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  5. NoMcSame

Nice to be able to joke about yourself. My kids are mixed BLK/Asian and they enjoy the best of both worlds. In years to come this race crap will be put to rest and there will be good and bad people and that is it. CONGRATS to you Mr. President Obama.

November 7, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  6. Seb

That mutt comment had me rolling off my couch and my wife too!!!
    A great sense of humor with a sarcastic wink to all the racist bigots!!!

November 7, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  7. Change is coming!!!

Obama 08!!!!!

November 7, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  8. Mary

A labradoodle

November 7, 2008 03:43 pm at 3:43 pm |
  9. larry

rick,why wasn't the aera of congres address during the debates and how low ratings tthey were having. also things (ie partisom) when the dem. took over in both houses, but nobody refered to that action.

November 7, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  10. Corey

Nicely done, Barrack! I like the way you think!

November 7, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  11. yes we can

I hope it will show the right way to people ready to buy a dog for Christmas. DON'T BUY, ADOPT FROM A SHELTER. There are so many sad animals waiting for a family.
    The Obama family is SUPER!

November 7, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  12. A Woman In California For Obama

The reason the "dog issue" has generated so much response is people are feeling down right now and they are glad to hear something other than fighting going on.

Good luck to the Obama's on the dog search. I hope Malia and Natasha are happy with their choice.

November 7, 2008 03:44 pm at 3:44 pm |
  13. FreeNLovIt

Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi, under fire at home for describing U.S. President-elect Barack Obama as "suntanned," said on Friday he saw no need to apologize.

That's okay. I think it was a complimentary to Obama to state that he doesnt have to tan himself. I thought it was very cute when he said it. He's just saying that look, he even has a tan.

Obama does have a nice appealing tan. When I look at McCain, I just see a ghost. He's just too white...

November 7, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  14. BeefyDaddy

Save one from the pound.

November 7, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  15. cindy garrett

How can anyone not love this guy!?

November 7, 2008 03:45 pm at 3:45 pm |
  16. Rhiannon

I hope that they Obama's will get a shelter dog even though I sympathize with their health concern's of their daughter. It would be great if everyone would adopt shelter pets. Also, think of all the "elitist" name calling should they get a designer breed. It's sad that even the choosing of the family dog will probably be politicized.

November 7, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  17. Pam Holt Los Angeles, CA

I am so proud of the example the Obamas are setting to ADOPT a dog!! There are plenty of breed-specific rescues that rescue from the pounds, so the Obamas will have no problem finding a homeless dog that is considered hypo-allergenic to enjoy the White House.

I hope lots of Americans follow suit and NEVER BREED OR BUY WHILE BEAUTIFUL LIFE-LOVING ANIMALS IN THE SHELTER DIE!

Thank you.

November 7, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  18. Marc PDX

I'm a conservative. I voted for McCain. I am very dubious about Barack Obama's ability to deliver on his many promises (without making things much worse). However, I think he honestly is trying to accomplish some good things. And, as my next President, I support him and hope for the best for our country. There is certainly a lot at stake nowadays.

November 7, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  19. Joe in NJ

Oh for Heaven's sake, who cares what type of dog Obama is going to get? Who was the last president that didn't have a dog? Now maybe if he got a pet llama or something, that would be more interesting.

November 7, 2008 03:46 pm at 3:46 pm |
  20. ANGIE

What a great real down to Earth Person he is, Im so happy he will be our President! The ability to make fun of yourself is great we dont need stuffy uptight people

November 7, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  21. AndiN

I'm so glad to hear that Obama and his family want to adopt a homeless dog from a shelter rather than buy one from a breeder. This sets a great example for the rest of us that could mean the difference between life and death for millions of homeless pets in this country.

I'm sure he can find a breed-specific rescue group so he can adopt a hypoallergenic breed, and a pet that's a good personality match for him and his family. Petfinder.com is a great way to do that.

November 7, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  22. karen

I have one word:
    LABRADOODLE!

November 7, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  23. Bobby

Smart leader bad comedian.

November 7, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  24. Crue

or it could be incompetent like you also.

November 7, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |
  25. Gerry in Va. for Obama.

Mutts are always the best anyway. They are usually smarter, wiser, more gentle and have a bigger heart then those "uptown" breeds. I'm sure any shelter in the USA would be proud to have one of their mutts go to the White House.

November 7, 2008 03:47 pm at 3:47 pm |