November 7th, 2008

Obama: New dog could be 'mutt like me'

President-elect Obama told reporters Friday that his eldest daughter, Malia, has allergies which might preclude the family from adopting a shelter dog which would likely be a 'mutt' like Obama.

(CNN) – In his first press conference since winning the race to the White House, President-elect Barack Obama addressed a pressing question: who is going to be the first dog?

Obama told a group of reporters in Chicago on Friday that since his 10-year-old daughter, Malia, is allergic, the Obama family is looking for a hypoallergenic breed. But Obama also said the family wants to adopt one from a shelter.

Watch: Obama talks about the first dog

“There are a number of breeds that are hypoallergenic, but on the other hand our preference is to get a shelter dog, but obviously, a lot of the shelter dogs are mutts like me,” Obama said. “So, whether we are going to be able to balance those two things I think is a pressing issue on the Obama household.”

Obama is of mixed racial heritage: His mother was Caucasian and his father was African.

Obama announced in his victory speech on Election Day that his daughters had “earned” a puppy. Obama joked that this is a “major issue” and said that since Election Day, the family’s dog choice has created more interest than any other topic.

1. Barber

Shows he's like most of us. Good start and I am not proleft.

November 7, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  2. William in Mount Dora FL

You can't go wrong with a dachshund. They're like having another child.

November 7, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  3. popeye

Shows he not as full of himself as some people try to make out.
    Enough said!

November 7, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  4. beth

I too am a mutt.Most mutts are smarter than pure breeds.

November 7, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  5. Mike

I guess this guy needs some PR coaching.

November 7, 2008 03:53 pm at 3:53 pm |
  6. PumaHunting

He should call his dog "Liebermann".

November 7, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  7. Trish

Two things: 1) There are plenty of hypoallergenic mutts at shelters and rescues all around the country, so the Obamas should be able to reconcile both preferences for their new White House mate; 2) I was adopted at a young age, know next to nothing about my biological data and have often described myself as a mutt. And so I was thrilled to hear Barack declare himself one as well. Mutts Unite!

November 7, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  8. alan j.

mutts rule!

November 7, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  9. suzanne, western NY

He is the real thing! Even under all the pressure he is facing due to the multiple concerns facing our nation President elect Obama is able to be a real person and be show his real self to all during his first press conference. It is a breath of fresh air and continues to foster hope to Americans.

Whether or not the Obama girls get a shelter dog or one that Malia is not allergic to, it is quite obvious that all issues are considered within the Obama household. The way he spoke today indicates to me that he will give the same serious consideration to issues facing all Americans.

November 7, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  10. Red, Red WHINE!!

Chris November 7th, 2008 3:48 pm ET
    ----------

omg! You made my day! Thanks for a great laugh!

November 7, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  11. Boston for OBAMA/BIDEN

Whatever breed the Obamas choose will instantly become a loving member of their wonderful family. Good Luck.

November 7, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  12. Mike in Seattle

They need a golden-doodle like ours, black father, gold mother, hypoallergenic - and a mutt according to the AKC.

November 7, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  13. Voted for Obama/Biden

Way to go Mr. President -elect (till January) get a "mutt" from a shelter – anybody who is thinking of adopting an animal should get one from their local shelter – everyone who has ever gotten an animal from a shelter knows that Mutts make the best pets....please dont buy a purebred yap yap dog or buy from a pet store where the dogs are bred at puppy mills – we need to stop buying into those inhumane breeding farms – LEAD by example please adopt a dog from the shelter....

November 7, 2008 03:54 pm at 3:54 pm |
  14. Hillary supporter for obama

Mutts make the best dogs! I have one ans she's the smartest dog I have ever had!

November 7, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  15. sjay

Best. President. Ever.

November 7, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  16. cnn junkie

cnn always looking for controversy shhhhh

November 7, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  17. Tyler

Man, I gotta say that that is SO refreshing to see this man be able to speak light-heartedly about his racial heritage. I think the less defensive people are about "terms" the less strife there will be between people. Maybe he can really set an example for all Americans to be confident and relaxed about their heritage.

November 7, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  18. Kimberly

He looks so presidential. I am so proud that he is our leader. America made a great choice. I look forward to great things from this president. This comment just reiterates his personal side. He is a true family man without stuffiness.

November 7, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  19. Almond Joy

BO,

Here's an option – why don't you get two little pups – one pure bred and one mutt. Name then 'Radiance' and 'Rosebud' after Sasha's and Malia's secret service names. Works all ways and will be a nice reminder of the wonderful campaign memories!

November 7, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  20. No like

I am an Obama fan but I dont think I will tell my bi-racial daughter that she is a mutt :(

November 7, 2008 03:55 pm at 3:55 pm |
  21. democrattotheend

I love his self-deprecating humor. It's going to be so great having him as president.

November 7, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  22. OHIO here

Absolutely thrilled that he is who he is I am sleeping better knowing that he is our President Elec I feel much better! I want to see that family in the White House as soon as possible!!! Day 1 I will bake a cake and eat it in my safer house because of our new team of leadership!

November 7, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  23. Bonnie in Wilmington NC

A very humble, yet firm start. We can only hope that the sense of humor continues as we all need it. He has set a very "every man/woman" tone, something we can all identify with. I appreciate his not trying to gloss over the hurdles we face as a country, and also appreciate the respect he gives to the current President of the United States. We need to remind ourselves that as we go forward, if we do not treat each other with respect while we debate the subjects, then we can hardly be surprised when the rest of the world chooses to treat us the same way. We need to to stop being the "ugly American" to our fellow citizens as well as to the world citizens. Let's act like the kind of people we would want our children to emulate. I give thanks every day that I was fortunate to be born a US citizen that to live in the greatest country in the world. We must take care of each other.

November 7, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  24. Tammy

yeah..i read this on another "news" site...and saw the headline coming before I could type cnn.com......i tell you. now that there isn't an election there isn't much to report..LOL...but yeah....lets now see who else takes this and runs with it

November 7, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  25. loribee

Barack and family, please consider adoption from a breed rescue like Small Paws Rescue, Inc. They rescue Bichon Frise dogs. I have two of them from SPR and they are angels!

November 7, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |