November 7th, 2008

Obama: New dog could be 'mutt like me'

President-elect Obama told reporters Friday that his eldest daughter, Malia, has allergies which might preclude the family from adopting a shelter dog which would likely be a 'mutt' like Obama.

(CNN) – In his first press conference since winning the race to the White House, President-elect Barack Obama addressed a pressing question: who is going to be the first dog?

Obama told a group of reporters in Chicago on Friday that since his 10-year-old daughter, Malia, is allergic, the Obama family is looking for a hypoallergenic breed. But Obama also said the family wants to adopt one from a shelter.

Watch: Obama talks about the first dog

“There are a number of breeds that are hypoallergenic, but on the other hand our preference is to get a shelter dog, but obviously, a lot of the shelter dogs are mutts like me,” Obama said. “So, whether we are going to be able to balance those two things I think is a pressing issue on the Obama household.”

Obama announced in his victory speech on Election Day that his daughters had “earned” a puppy. Obama joked that this is a “major issue” and said that since Election Day, the family’s dog choice has created more interest than any other topic.

1. Barb

President elect Obama needs to know that there are rescue groups out there for all types of dogs. Bichons and schnauzers would be a good choice for their family and there are rescue groups that can help him make the right choice, just like the voters did. Please, DO NOT buy a dog. There is no reason to with so many homeless ones out there just waiting for a happy home. Thanks.

November 7, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  2. Liz

CNN covered other parts of the press conference. The president elect can joke about things. He's human, chill out.

November 7, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  3. Verona

C'mon, Barack, that's a stupid comment...I still love you, but that was stupid. You don't want to imply that anyone that is bi-racial, is a "mutt," and therefore, not a "purebred," which is always seen as being of more worth. You usually think before you speak...what happened here?

November 7, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  4. Red State Republican who voted for CHANGE!

Wow, very down to earth. I'm more impressed by him every day. I think they should get a Bishon (non-allegery) and name him "Maverick"

November 7, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  5. LyonsPhilly

I would be honored to let them adopt my poodle/mutt....

November 7, 2008 03:56 pm at 3:56 pm |
  6. Liz

Saving one from a shelter would be awesome.

November 7, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  7. Where Is Obama's Aunt?

She's an illegal immigrant and living off taxpayer money in Public Housing.

I am a legal Mexican immigrant and cannot get Public Housing.

This is wrong, wrong, wrong and we legal Mexican immigrants are getting no support on this. The case of Obama's aunt is being swept under the rug and it's wrong.

November 7, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  8. Winston

I cringed at the "mutt" reference when I first heard it out of his mouth, but you can't fault the guy for trying to polk fun at himself in such a tight situation. He stayed on point even though he came off a little nervous.

One critiscim beyond the substance; He needs a week of improv speech training. Those vocal pauses kills his flow from time to time..um, ah, yes we can!

November 7, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  9. Rachielle from VA

LOL

November 7, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  10. Kim in Colorado

With all of the speculation concerning the new "first dog", I am not surprised that Mr. Obama would choose to adopt a currently homeless baby from a shelter. Kudos to Mr. & Mrs. Obama. My "best of all breeds" has my heart forever.

November 7, 2008 03:57 pm at 3:57 pm |
  11. Mary

He's such a breathe of fresh air – he's so intelligent and thoughtful. I adore him and his darling family.

November 7, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  12. B

Most Americans are Mutts . . . me, personally, I have a French, German, English, Irish, Cherokee heritage that goes back to colonial America. I'm a Mutt and darned proud of it.

November 7, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  13. Jimmy Mouth of the South Hart

I think he should get a Chineese Pug and name it Hillary . . .

November 7, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  14. interesting

hmmmm, calling yourself a mutt as a joke as presidency?

and this is your first press conference?

November 7, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  15. Shannon

They should get a Yorkshire Terrier! My father is allergic to dogs and has no problems with Yorkies, a breed which has hair rather than fur.

November 7, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  16. Rob

You mean the dog will have a racist minister too? Maybe a minister dog that hates shelties or labradors (yellow and gold that is).

November 7, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  17. Texas for Obama

I heard he was going to "TAP" Michael Vick to do the "vetting" of local dogs in the DC/Virginia area.

November 7, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  18. Proud American in a Big City

Seems the news cycle has gone to the dogs.

November 7, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  19. Dave

I recommend a Havanese breed (hypoallergenic) and name it "Change".

November 7, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  20. KJL

They'll find the right dog and fall in love. It won't matter if it's a mutt or hypoallergenic or whatever.

November 7, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  21. Gene

Just don't let the dog anywhere near any lipstick :)

November 7, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  22. Crush Rush

Dont get a barker or a biter,or you will have to name him Rush.

November 7, 2008 03:59 pm at 3:59 pm |
  23. nicole

"Obama is of mixed racial heritage: His mother was Caucasian and his father was African."

When are people going to realize that most "black" people (probably like 99%) are of mixed racial heritage! That's why we should do away with the term African American–a term made up by radical, elitist black academics. It totally ignores that black people are just a multi-racial racial group! I've been calling myself a mutt for years because that's what I am!

November 7, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  24. Ty

People if you dont like what CNN Post than don't read it and comment. If the Post was so stupid or irrelvant then you wouldn't have cared to read it.

November 7, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  25. CP-Texas

Love this guy. He will be a GREAT President.

November 7, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |