November 7th, 2008

Obama: New dog could be 'mutt like me'

President-elect Obama told reporters Friday that his eldest daughter, Malia, has allergies which might preclude the family from adopting a shelter dog which would likely be a 'mutt' like Obama.

(CNN) – In his first press conference since winning the race to the White House, President-elect Barack Obama addressed a pressing question: who is going to be the first dog?

Obama told a group of reporters in Chicago on Friday that since his 10-year-old daughter, Malia, is allergic, the Obama family is looking for a hypoallergenic breed. But Obama also said the family wants to adopt one from a shelter.

Watch: Obama talks about the first dog

“There are a number of breeds that are hypoallergenic, but on the other hand our preference is to get a shelter dog, but obviously, a lot of the shelter dogs are mutts like me,” Obama said. “So, whether we are going to be able to balance those two things I think is a pressing issue on the Obama household.”

Obama is of mixed racial heritage: His mother was Caucasian and his father was African.

Obama announced in his victory speech on Election Day that his daughters had “earned” a puppy. Obama joked that this is a “major issue” and said that since Election Day, the family’s dog choice has created more interest than any other topic.

1. cd

He should get a pitbull named Sarah

November 7, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  2. deb in Colo

Even a "mutt" can have an impressive linage!

And I fully approve of a Pound Puppy!

November 7, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  3. Mike Jones

there is a lot more important issues than the proposition 8. Besides, it's california's problem.

November 7, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  4. Leo

I am very impressed with "President Elect" Obama. He appears to be a really down to earth kind of person. Someone whom I feel I can relate to.

November 7, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  5. Steve

Definitely a Labradoodle! Best dog we've ever had!

November 7, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  6. The smart Guy

Mutts are the healthiest dogs. In-bred dogs are the least healthy actually. For instance, the bull dog's under bite is an in-bred defect. The little Dachshund with the stubby legs and long body is an inbred defect. Just as in humans when you constantly mix the same chromosomes, you also keep all of the genetic mutations thereby reducing the chances of that species to exist. It's funny how mixing breeds greatly reduces those genetic mutations just as it does in humans.

November 7, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  7. Wayne

Wooo Hooo, won't Fox News twist this one and run with it : "Obama joked that this is a “major issue”.
    The way Fox has been acting. I wouldn't be surprised to hear them announce that he cares more about dogs than America.

November 7, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  8. Matt

Newsflash: This is America. Name me someone you know who is NOT a "mixed breed."

November 7, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  9. WIlly Brown

You said it first!!!

November 7, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  10. WIlly Brown

Mutt

November 7, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  11. Haterblockade

We are all mutts some of our blood lines were not willingly compromised. Lets not forget. The First Family should name their new pet dog MAVERICK!!!!!

November 7, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  12. T.O. for Obama

AND AREN'TMOST OF US 'MUTTS' OF ONE KIND OR ANOTHER !!!!!

November 7, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  13. Marilyn

the "pitbull named sarah joke" was old like late Tuesday nite.

November 7, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  14. Christian Pro-Life Georgian

I think it would be honorable for them to get a dog from the shelter. It sounds like a very nice idea.

I will stand in line to support my new President.

America 08

November 7, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  15. SR

get a goldendoodle – best dog ever – they sometimes end up at a shelter – that's how we got ours.

November 7, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  16. Karol

Not all dogs that need new homes are placed in shelters. We rescued a shnoodle that was nine months old and had been in two homes that didn't want him. He is hypo allergenic as well.

November 7, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  17. Mike Jones

he was joking about being a mutt

November 7, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  18. Laverne

To the person who said "I can't believe he did not support gay marriage". Obama has been clear on his position when it comes to gay marriage from the beginning. Beside where is the outrage at Arnold Swartzenegger, this amendment is a state issue just like Arkansas and the others. Please place the blame where it is due.

November 7, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  19. Biracial Girl Tired of the Whiners

No Like: Fine. Don't tell your daughter she's a mutt. Noone said that you needed to. She defines herself. If he wants to make jokes about himself, he has every right to do so. Some people are waaaay too sensitive.

November 7, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  20. Peter of Oregon

I miss all the People Under McCain's Authority on these boards. They were always cause for great amusement.

November 7, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  21. JACKIE

Dogs that come from shelters ARE NOT all mutts. There are many purebred dogs that end up in shelters and there are many rescue organizations for purebred dogs. SAVE A LIFE ADOBT PLEASE!!!!
    Someone please inform President Elect Obama that his perception of shelter dogs is wrong....

November 7, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  22. Pablo

I'm excited to what's going on next for the country.
    But I have to say I'm a little worried about CNN's Ticker.
    First the current First Dog kind of fighting with a reporter, and now this discussion about the future First Dog-elect.
    And wasn't the "mutt" thing a joke? Weren't there more important things in the press conference?
    I want to know what's going to happen with the real issues.
    Although I have to admit that adopting a dog from a shelter is a very elocuent gesture.

Waiting for Inauguration Day...

November 7, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  23. Sara Keenan

God love this man!!!!! Now he's going to encourage Americans to adopt shelter-dogs!!! Is there any civil issue he is on the wrong side of? I can't think of one!!!!!

November 7, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  24. kcbob

I got my Dog at a shelter (wayside waifs in Kansas City) With this economy he will have no problem finding the perfect dog(s). Mutts are the way to go.

November 7, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  25. Really?

A mutt? If a white person said this, they would be in deep trouble. Very Presidential...

Will be interesting to see how he does now that he can't rely on his campaign script when giving "official" responses.

November 7, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |