November 7th, 2008

Obama won't give timetable on Cabinet appointments

Vice President-elect Biden looks on as the nation's next president gives his first press conference since winning the White House.

(CNN) - Barack Obama would not give a timetable for when he plans to announce his cabinet appointments, but said he would make decisions with "deliberate haste."

"There is no doubt that people want to know who is going to make up our team," he said "I want to move with all deliberate haste, but I want to emphasize deliberate as well as haste."

"It's important to get it right and not be so rushed that you make it rushed," he also said.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. California Gold

The politics of governance is different from the politics of campaigning.

November 7, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  2. It begins...

Translation: I have no idea, but one of my cronies will tell me who to appoint based on who I owe favors to. Same old Washington politics.

November 7, 2008 03:11 pm at 3:11 pm |
  3. I LOVE OBAMA

Again, a man who shows great judgement. Everything he does is well thought out. I love him and I have 100% confidence he will make a great president!!

OBAMA/BIDEN!!!!!!!!!!!

November 7, 2008 03:12 pm at 3:12 pm |
  4. Joe-6-Pack

DID I SEE A MIDGET (I AM SORRY IF OFFEND ANYONE) DURING THE PRESS CONFERENCE?.....WHO WAS THE MIDGET?

November 7, 2008 03:13 pm at 3:13 pm |
  5. Proud to be American

Understood Mr. President .... haste makes waste and I know you are picking the A team.... Do you thing Mr. P.

November 7, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  6. That Other Jerry

Who he selects is a lot more important than when he selects them. He talked the change talk; now let's see him walk the change walk.

November 7, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  7. Hillary supporter for obama

That's right Obama.... Do it right the first time by giving it the time and attention this needs... Don't let the pundits or the media rush you into making decisions!!!! You're the boss NOT the media or the pundits!!!!

November 7, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  8. Obama all the way

You tell 'em Barak!! Careful thinking is what we need. It has been absent for the last 8 years!!!

November 7, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  9. Joe the mechanic.

As a Republican who voted for Obama. I say have a great four years and Congratulations. To my Republican Party I say.
    Bobby Jindal / Condi Rice 2012 !

November 7, 2008 03:14 pm at 3:14 pm |
  10. I Love OBAMA 2

I second

November 7, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  11. williefloyd

This just emphasizes his patience, determination, and careful thought he puts in his decision making. Looks like we won't have anymore "ready, shoot, aim"-this sends just the right message!!

November 7, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  12. Ralette

I wish he could keep Condi. I'm going to miss seeing her. She did a great job for our nation in spite of the administration she served.

November 7, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  13. Megan

I just have this wonderful feeling that grown-ups are once again in charge of our government.

November 7, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  14. Debby

Great judgement his were scarce. He talked more about the dog than gave answers for the future. I see the 95% tax cuts are getting more and more on the backburner as the economy weakens.

November 7, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  15. CNN---Where are these stories????

Why are these stories not on the Ticker??

1. Obama's aunt being an illegal immigrant living at taxpayer expense in Public Housing. Why is she not deported today?

2. Obama insisting that his replacement in the senate be black. Is this the "unity" candidate?–Source: Chic. Sun Times (Michael Sneed)

3..Status of Palin e-mail hacker who was indicted-how many years will he go away for?

4. Why did Obama sell gays out by not supporiting gay marriage in California-again, is this the unity candidate?

CNN–these are relevant stories and you are obliged to cover them.

November 7, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  16. Laverne

He gave the right answer, he is a cautious leader and I am confident that whatever decision he makes will be a good one!

November 7, 2008 03:15 pm at 3:15 pm |
  17. Lifelong Democrat Lorna Hanson Forbes

It is hard to trust Barack Hussein Obama, Junior.

November 7, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  18. robrubin

I think Bill Richardson should be Sec. of State. It seems that John Kerry is angling for it, and I do believe that Obama should find a position for Kerry, but Richardson is a better choice.

Bill Gates should probably stay on as Defense Secretary for the immediate future. But I do think Chuck Hagel should replace him at some point.

November 7, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  19. Lance

What a refreshing break from Bush. I can't believe it, we're going to have an actual real President for a change.

Let's change the world!

November 7, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  20. Bryan

That press conference was a trainwreck. How many times can he say "um" and dodge a question. Funny how things change when you don't have a script. He's a mutt! He said it!

November 7, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  21. Matt

Thank you Obama for not giving in to all the pundits and speculation. I just watched your press conference and am very impressed with your handling of the media. I'm glad you're not one to provide answers for the sake of providing answers.

November 7, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  22. dave harlow

Dear I love Obama....He said nothing.....

November 7, 2008 03:16 pm at 3:16 pm |
  23. Y

It feels good to have an intelligent, well spoken, sober-minded President. I feel so safe and comfortable. Hallelujah.

November 7, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  24. Don't pat yourself on the back too quick

In the aftermath of its warm, fuzzy glow, tears of joy are shed and proclamations made by people on their knees, hands clasped, looking gratefully skyward in thanks, sobbing women on the View, cry elation for a supposed landmark election for Civil Rights, an historic campaign for the first Black President.

While Farrankan describes Obama as the “coming new Messiah” David Gerber on CNN likens him the “Jeremiah to Martin Luther King’s Moses” (huh boy…)

As Oprah Winfrey triumphantly proclaims “America did the right thing”,

I seem to be the only one to notice that
    • gay people still aren’t allowed their constitutional right to free speech, to call their unions marriage, nor right to Taxation with representation and have legal marriage, that
    • the most qualified candidate, a woman, was dismissed in a media blizzard-smear campaign of misogyny, lies and phony polls, had to
    • beat her opponents in 21 consecutive debates, still loses to the most unqualified candidate in history simply because he is a man. He voted 131 times "present". We needed a Madam President, not a mr. present.

He got more votes, for and against, than any other candidate in history. Americans remain divided more than ever.

It’s time now for the corrupt Obama to return the favors to his corporate hedge-fund backers for the 90% of his raised 700 million, (oh, you thought it came from small donations on the internet? Ha, ha). They still own America (and Obama).

Rahm Emanuel, the most contentious frontman Obama could hide behind,...tsk tsk...

Now delusional with a new sense of equal rights, America remains a hypocrisy ruled by corrupt corporate bigots.

November 7, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |
  25. MsAnnette, Little Rock, AR

WONDERFUL!!

Go Mr. President and Mr. Vice President!!

November 7, 2008 03:17 pm at 3:17 pm |