November 7th, 2008

Obama won't give timetable on Cabinet appointments

Vice President-elect Biden looks on as the nation's next president gives his first press conference since winning the White House.

(CNN) - Barack Obama would not give a timetable for when he plans to announce his cabinet appointments, but said he would make decisions with "deliberate haste."

"There is no doubt that people want to know who is going to make up our team," he said "I want to move with all deliberate haste, but I want to emphasize deliberate as well as haste."

"It's important to get it right and not be so rushed that you make it rushed," he also said.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Janice Hough

Getting it right?!!! What a concept. And what a change from the last eight years.

November 7, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  2. s

To Joe-6-Pack:

That was rude! But if you really do care that was Robert Reich, a brillant economist!

November 7, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  3. The Oracle

I think he is making the rght decisioms....Lets give him a chance....

November 7, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  4. Lee from FL

yes joe-6-pack there was a midget.
    its a diverse team of black,white,latino,gay,str8,young,old,disabled,not disabled!

November 7, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  5. Mike Dallas

Nor should he, he has only been in the current status for 3 days, now, as he stated he has 70 something days to pull his staff together.

As usual he will be deliberate and not cave in to knee jerk reactions and calls for him to hurry and build his cabinet.

No drama Obama, remember?

November 7, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  6. Hillary supporter for obama

Hey it begins... you've shown your prejudice and stupidity!

The ignornace of some people really astound me.... And people like you will be the first to keep quiet when they get an uplift from the changes that will be forthcoming... Some people live to be negative and criticize and not believe....

If you have nothing productive to say shut up!

November 7, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  7. Ian Minneapolis, MN

I want to see some bipartisanship. Reach across that aisle. YOU SAID YOU WOULD!!! LOVE YOU BOMA!!!!

November 7, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  8. Darrel from Denver

RE: "It begins..."

What is the worth of your cynicism. Dude, these decisions should take time and deliberate haste is very prudent.

My guess is that you were not one of Obama's supporters. Get with the program, slick. The election is over and it's time to move forward.

November 7, 2008 03:18 pm at 3:18 pm |
  9. Cynthia

This is why I voted for this man. He thinks about what he is going to do, considers his options, and then moves quickly to get it done. Thank you for not running off half cocked.

November 7, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  10. 30-m-PA-Democrat-voted McCain

This guy reminds me of Bush! Did anyone listen to him? How many times did he say the word 'uh?' I would say about 100 times. Then when asked why he chose Biden he said, "partly because we did it right." That's not an answer. Also, no specifics and he said things we already know. Sounds just like Bush. Why people continue to elect presidents who clearly can't handle the job just boggles my mind.

November 7, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  11. Nick

They're already trying to tell him, ie: Kerry, Dean, etc... And he's not making his mind up yet.

November 7, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  12. Chill

It's begins>>>your comment was lame. same ole comments, from dry bloggers like you.

November 7, 2008 03:19 pm at 3:19 pm |
  13. ANGIE

Its great he doesnt want to Rush,He needs to take his time and get it right and choose people he will feel Comfortable with, whats wrong with that?

November 7, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  14. Mobius

It wasn't a midget.
    Obama appointed the Goblins to guard the Treasury.

Voldemort will be our Secretary of State, Umbridge takes Education.

November 7, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  15. herman

I thought President-elect Obama did a great job with the press today.

I like how he asked the lady about her arm.

He seemed very stable and in control. I believe and hope he will do great things for this country.

The height-challenged man is Professor Robert Reich.

November 7, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  16. voter

I agree with Obama. Rushing to pick a cabinet due to media pressure will lead to making a wrong choice. After 8 years of bad decisions, we don't need anymore. Take your time Obama. you have until January.

November 7, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  17. Vince

To "It begins...", get over yourself. You obviously have no intention of giving the man a chance. McCain lost (actually, he got hi a$$ handed to him). Accept it and get over it.

November 7, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  18. Matthew

Shocking for someone who is all about timetables!

November 7, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  19. Paul Wall in Dallas

Awesome President-Elect. And to "It Begins"-he owes no "special favors", his campaign was paid for by his supporters not the tax-payers like your candidate.

November 7, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  20. Doug in New Mexico

Sounds intelligent to me. Rushing makes for mistakes!

November 7, 2008 03:20 pm at 3:20 pm |
  21. Anonymous

GIVE THE MAN A CHANCE TO PROVE US RIGHT OR WRONG

November 7, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  22. Tiffany

Are you serious "It begins...?" Would you prefer someone to take their time and analyze people's credentials or make a quick baseless decison? Oh wait, let me guess, you are a McCain supporter and agreed 100% with his choice of Palin after only meeting her once??? I am not shocked. I, for one, am glad he will take his time...

November 7, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  23. democrattotheend

Smart. He took such care in picking a VP and it paid off. Contrast that to McCain's hasty pick that ended up hurting him. I think taking the time to fully vet everyone is the right move...like he said, it's important to pick the right people.

November 7, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  24. mb

Wise decision, haste makes waste and America has no time to mess up. I respect him for speaking truthfully.

November 7, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  25. Karen - Proud of This Country

Way to Go Obama! A man after my own heart.

November 7, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |