November 7th, 2008

Obama won't give timetable on Cabinet appointments

Vice President-elect Biden looks on as the nation's next president gives his first press conference since winning the White House.

(CNN) - Barack Obama would not give a timetable for when he plans to announce his cabinet appointments, but said he would make decisions with "deliberate haste."

"There is no doubt that people want to know who is going to make up our team," he said "I want to move with all deliberate haste, but I want to emphasize deliberate as well as haste."

"It's important to get it right and not be so rushed that you make it rushed," he also said.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. BJ in NC

After the deliberate well-run campaign of this MAN for President, why do they think he will make hasty decisions for the most important positions for this country? I wish that they would sit down, back-off and be patient enough to give this President time to do what he thinks is right. After not being able to predict his every move during the campaign, they should be accostomed to waiting for his answer.

November 7, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  2. Bob Toano

The politics of governance is indeed different from the politics of campaigning. I can envision Obama, Biden, and McCain answering the questions of what they are "going" to do. the thought of Sarah Palin being in that position sends a chill up my spine.

November 7, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  3. katiec

The fact that President Obama does not jump into decisions, is
    thoughtful and responsible in his actions is a big plus.
    It will not be politics as usual for him. That belongs to the
    pubs.
    He will be a great leader and will pick the best people to
    lead us out of the diasters of the these last eight years.

November 7, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  4. Old White Guy for Obama

Hey "It begins..."

He's going to fix a lot of things very quickly, in spite of you. He won't be picking anyone like Palin, so you have to add some time for vetting.

November 7, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  5. Joe, Florida

The man shows care over haste; a very important for a President to have. Haste got us the wrong plan in Iraq (it shouldn't have happened at all), but it they wouldn't have rushed it, perhaps Bush would not be so unpopular today. The President of this country needs to always THINK BEFORE HE ACTS!!

November 7, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  6. Jerry

That is not a midget. He's Robert Reich, Clinton's Secretary of Labor. A big brain in a short man.

November 7, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  7. Tiffany

Some you guys make me laugh...look...McCain/Palin lost!!! So either move out of the country or get over it and stop crying. Whether you like or not Barrack will be our next president. Also, he's not in office yet and things are not going to happen overnight (he still has to clean up the mess from the Bush admin.) Everyone has so many ideas but I haven't heard any of yall running for office and it's hilarious to me how some of the negatives that people post here are the same things that come from GOP's mouths and republican media (like faux news) grab a tissue and suck it up....please

November 7, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  8. ohio

"it begins"...are you just going from post to post saying nothing but garbage?

November 7, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  9. Charles Jameson

Economics is at bottom not just about method but also the politics of confidence. Given his campaign management style, we have reason to deem Obama a very methodical man. After this press conference, my confidence is his ability to manage this economic to restore its health is growing. Let's wait and see, but this is a plus.

November 7, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  10. Mark L.

We LOVE Barack Obama – WAY TO GO !! Don't Let ANYONE, and I DO MEAN ANYONE, Rush You or VP-Elect Joseph Biden Whatsoever !! That includes the ULTRA-CROOKED GOP !!

The DIRTY, ROTTEN and GREEDY Republican Politicians couldn't even provide a timetable on the withdrawal of our troops from Iraq...AN UNJUSTIFIED WAR that was all about POLITICAL GREED, SCAMS and DECEPTION !!

The War on TERRORISM is in AFGHANISTAN, NOT IRAQ !! (Saddam Hussein didn't order planes to hit the WTC or Pentagon on 9/11 Idiots !!)

November 7, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  11. James

Finely we have a Brilliant President that America and the World can be proud of.

November 7, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  12. Karen, Arkansas

Joe, the man you saw was probably Robert B. Reich who was Bill Clinton's Sec. of Labor. He is 4'10".

November 7, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  13. Michael M, Phoenix AZ

Better to take his time when choosing a cabinet than following the Bush doctrine of "hiring" cronies. Look where that got us.

November 7, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  14. Derrick

Very well throughtfull press conference. This is a president that thinks things thru instead of rushing into anything blindly. I love you too Mr. President Obama

November 7, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  15. Valerie

Obaoma scarse the hell out of me and I don't like this one party rule.What favors will he have to do for all that campain money.

November 7, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  16. Stop the Madness : )

OK.....after the longest campaign in history......I NEED A VACATION!

I suggest the the rest of you "Ticker Junkies" take one too....

2 weeks off, NO POLITICS for two weeks.....

I can do it......(I think,....errrrrrrrr, .......signin.......off......nnnnnow, no , yes NOw),

see ya'll in 2 weeks

November 7, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  17. Mel in GA

smart man!!!

November 7, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  18. Hillary Homemaker

I think it was Robert Reich, former Treasury Secretary.

I totally support the idea of taking some time, but "weeks" was a little scary to me. The market is too volatile not to have a successor to Paulson named soon.

November 7, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  19. Rob

Of course not, all the people he owes favors to have to put their requests in. Then everyone's got to submit their bribes, develop and make back-ups of any potential blackmail material, and do a proper C.Y.A. on the outside chance the media finds its spine and decides to do a little investigating.

C'mon people, these things take time. There are a lot of bases to cover in croni-ism.

November 7, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  20. Ty

Actually I thought that guy was a midget also. Hmmmmm. Interesting!

Overall that was an effective press conference. Obama did a great job in presenting himself as the strong president that he will be.

November 7, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  21. FLewis

You're doing the right thing Obama. Take your time.

November 7, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  22. Vegas

Someone told him he can't pardon his Chicago buddies until after his term... so he needs to re-think some positions.

November 7, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  23. Aw8ingabetterday

I wonder what part of Gov Granholm's total economic failure in Michigan does Pres-elect Obama think will be beneficial for the nations economy? What's the next wise decision?

November 7, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  24. Steve from Montreal

I am more worried about the type of dog they plan on getting. I suggest getting one that does not bark and bite innocent reporters. I am wondering if Sarah Palin has anything worthy of doing. Hey, they should ask her to bring over one of them 'Alaskan' dogs over.

November 7, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  25. Susan from Scotts Valley, CA

Joe – 6Pack. Are you speaking of Robert Reisch, President Clinton's Labor Secretary and an Obama supporter? But what was the point of your question?

November 7, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |