November 7th, 2008

Obama won't give timetable on Cabinet appointments

Vice President-elect Biden looks on as the nation's next president gives his first press conference since winning the White House.

(CNN) - Barack Obama would not give a timetable for when he plans to announce his cabinet appointments, but said he would make decisions with "deliberate haste."

"There is no doubt that people want to know who is going to make up our team," he said "I want to move with all deliberate haste, but I want to emphasize deliberate as well as haste."

"It's important to get it right and not be so rushed that you make it rushed," he also said.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Charlie Bradley

During the long campaign season I kept telling everyone that the cream of the crop will rise to the top. Watching his speech and his to the point and by the plan responses I can firmly hold steadfast to that policy

November 7, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  2. CanIcallyouJoe

He has been officially in -elect office for three days, people.
    Settle down. A long rusted iron cannot be brought back to it's true sheen in one day. It requires patience and consideration.

And I think after Bush, this iron is very tarnished indeed.

November 7, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  3. jason

Let me help you.......

A bunch of tax, tax, spend, spend far-left liberals with as little experience as Obama.

Will make Jimmy Carter look competent.

Article complete.

November 7, 2008 03:31 pm at 3:31 pm |
  4. Change is coming!!!

I think that midget was Ralph Emanuel!!!!!

November 7, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  5. MARY MEDLEY

WE ALL MUST REMEMBER ABAMA AND HIS FAMILY IN PRAYER. ASKING GOD TO PROTECT HE AND HIS FAMILY.

November 7, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  6. Mike in Columbus

It begins...

You are a coward.

November 7, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  7. karen

look for the making of a great leader in obama, and biden a great vp we have not seen anything yet

November 7, 2008 03:32 pm at 3:32 pm |
  8. Enough

Brains are back!!!
    America is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 7, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  9. ECU Student

What the President Elect is doing is correct. It shows prudent planning. We are very lucky to have a man who thinks before he reacts. Way to go President Elect Obama.

November 7, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  10. John

Presidential!!!! I no longer fear fear itself. Now I know what my grandfather felt like in 1933.

November 7, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  11. John Peters

With a the speculation about who might be an advisor or who might be in the cabinet of President Elect Obama, why have we not seen Colin Powell's name mentioned?

November 7, 2008 03:33 pm at 3:33 pm |
  12. Jenea Bradley

Great First Press Conference President Obama!!! Deliberate haste is just what we need right now! Hay has everybody been to his new website, Change.gov? He is really a 21st century president!

November 7, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  13. JM From MD

President-elect Obama be a true statesman! Remember the likes of Kennedy and Churchill. Do not rush or be rushed. Choose the best qualified from any race, gender or party affiliation. Then the whole world will truly see you as the leader of the free world.
    one very very crucial issue is the non-negotiable moral issues that go against the very Laws of God. Abortion, emryonic stem cell reshearch, Human cloning, gay "marraige" and euthanasia. Do not let your administration push these agendas. You wil be even more respected and will succeed beyond your imagination.
    MAY GOD GIVE YOU STRENGTH AND SERENITY AS YOU PUT TOGETHER YOUR ADMINISTRATION.
    THE NATION NEEDS TO PRAY FOR PEACE ON EARTH.

November 7, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  14. Lee-- Dallas, TX

Barack is going to build a team that has people that are great at what they do. He is going to surround himself with a proficient and capable administrative staff. Though time is of the essence, it is critical that the right calls be made.

November 7, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  15. Gregory, Scottsdale, AZ

CA Gold – you are dead on on. I could not have set it better myself. This is no longer a campaign – Obama is President. Let them man get to work.....

November 7, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  16. Mike

This shows a very thoughtful and deliberate man. It's nice to see someone in office that will think before irrational action.

November 7, 2008 03:34 pm at 3:34 pm |
  17. america wins

thats why he was elected president, he showed his good judgement in the choices he made. i believe he will be one of our greatest presidents of all time.

November 7, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  18. Whiners

Boo, hoo, hoo, Obama – this, Obama – that! Mama, mama! Were's my pacifier?

November 7, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  19. David Newport, OR

Obama has made 2 choices so far...both are exceptional. The first was Jow Biden. The second is Rohm Emanuel. I have no doubt the decisions will be based on ability and not favors.

November 7, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  20. Kate

"It begins" is obviously still in mourning, with his judgement clouded by the enormous despair he understandably feels after such a crushing loss.

This was the best press conference we have had in 8 years. Intelligent, articulate, respectful, and informative. After only 3 days in this position, President-Elect Obana has already demonstrated his command at the podium - I cannot wait until January 20, 2009.

November 7, 2008 03:35 pm at 3:35 pm |
  21. Jeff from Atlanta

I can't believe some of these posts. It really doesn't matter what he does some of you just worship the man. If he farts I'll bet you'll say it smells sweet.

November 7, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  22. IowaMom

It begins....

I would certainly hope you would want him to take longer than three days to make such huge decisions. Or are you one of those that just want to see him fail so that you can justify your hatred?

November 7, 2008 03:36 pm at 3:36 pm |
  23. Donkey Party

It begins... November 7th, 2008 3:11 pm ET

Translation: I have no idea, but one of my cronies will tell me who to appoint based on who I owe favors to. Same old Washington politics.
    ======================================================

Enough already with this kind of hate. Give the man a chance for God's sake. We had to live through 8 years of Bush, the least you can do is show a little respect for the new President, and let him prove to you and all the other skeptics that he was the best choice for our country.

November 7, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  24. President Barack Obama

Mr President....Barack Hussein Obama.

November 7, 2008 03:38 pm at 3:38 pm |
  25. Susan, TX

November 7th, 2008 3:11 pm ET

To: It begins...

Grow up, I would rather have a president who thinks through the issues and not act irrational for example your buddy McCain?

November 7, 2008 03:39 pm at 3:39 pm |