November 7th, 2008

Obama starts day with parent-teacher conference

Barack and Michelle Obama leave their daughters' school Friday after a parent-teacher conference.

(CNN) – He meets with his team of economic advisers and then holds his first news conference as President-elect, but for Barack Obama, the day started with a more personal duty, that of father.

The Obama Transition Office announced this morning that the President-elect would start his day, along with his wife Michelle, by attending a parent teacher conference at his daughters' school in Chicago. Sure enough, the soon-to-be first couple were seen exiting his daughters' school with papers in tow.

Daughters Malia and Sasha are students at the University of Chicago's Lab School.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. CT no Dodd

While I appreciate the imagery and message this sends to parents about being involved – Why is this front page news? If the Obama's didn't go it'd be all over the press too. This is not news. I'd like to see some real support and counseling programs for families to help with single parents, couples and parenting (even if parents aren't together). That would be real news and help for the country.

November 7, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  2. PA Republican for Obama

Those of you complaining that this is news need to step back and realize that the story itself is revealing the character of President-Elect Obama, and the character of our President reflects on us as Americans and how we are perceived both at home and throughout the world. And I think it demonstrates great character for a man this important to still show our country that no man is ever too important or too busy to be a father to his children.

This sets a great example for our nation, an example that is sorely needed given all of the parents (both men and women) who DON'T take the time to pay attention and be involved in their children's lives.

November 7, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  3. Michael M, Phoenix AZ

Good job, Mr. President Elect! Remember how much trouble the Bush twins kept getting into while attending college? Maybe a difference in parental upbring?

November 7, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  4. Bridget

Seriously? This is news? I suppose the point is for me to be impressed with what a great father Obama is, but I honestly don't really care. I care about how well he is going to serve our country. Let's do some more reporting on that...

November 7, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  5. talk2much

This is America. We are free to tune in and tune out if we don't like the news. The Obama's are a fine role model for the world and some people just hate it and that's sad. How can you hate it when somebody is getting so much love? Dang, people. This is news because he is leading by example. It would behoove others to respond to their own children the way the Obama's are responding to theirs. Personal Responsibility and he's leading by example. He's not a messiah, he's just a man. But what a man, what a man, what a mighty good man. And there are thousands of men like Mr. Obama, including my ex husband, but you don't hear about them. So much love to the Obamas for keeping it real. He just happens to be POTUS, but he's real. What did you expect?

November 7, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  6. Dr.T

Thank God ...there is a " common man's President" and relates to what normal people go through and should priorities.

November 7, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  7. jerral

wonderful
    he will pave the way for other daddies to step up
    yes this is important people
    for you who think not proubly don't have children and did not have parents who was interested in your schooling
    have a good day

November 7, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  8. alana

TO: enough already

ENOUGH OF YOU ALREADY AND PEOPLE LIKE YOU!

November 7, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  9. Pesty like ants!

Negative comments have no place here regarding our President-Elect. Just in case you haters need a reminder, EVERYTHING the President does is news. The end! Get over yourselves and celebrate the direction this country is headed in and be proud that you have someone like President-Elect Obama representing our country and each and every American.

If reading things about him gets on your nerves, stop logging on to the "report zones" and play some games. Online games are for the mindless and it won't matter if you show up there and talk trash. Political blogs should be a venue for people to discuss what's good, what could be better and what we, as a people, are going to do about it. At this point, get behind our President-Elect. You no longer have a choice.

Stop the hate. It's annoying.

November 7, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  10. LB

I think the point is, as he mentioned in his speech. He will do what ever it takes to help the American people, but it is also the parents responsibility to get involved with their kids lives and education, turn off that TV, cell phone, etc. and force them to get their homework done and to study. Obama, by going to his daughters parent teacher conferences is leading by example. If he can take time to attend that meeting, why can the rest of the parents in American do the same for their kids.

November 7, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  11. G. Robinson

Is it me or does the media have President Obama under a microscope? Can he have some breathing room? Campbell Brown said the CNN was going to "hold this administration accountable" then reminded us of the promises President Obama has made. I understand the excitement and anxiety over new leadership, but I'm beginning to think that people in the media are becoming OVERLY concerned about President Obama and the type of President he will be. It's like the media is waiting for him to make his first mistake. Why didn't the media hold Bush accountable? I'm still smelling that race rat.

God Bless the NEW FIRST FAMILY!!!!!

November 7, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  12. browneyednic

Why is the Secret Service allowing a daily play-by-play of where Obama is every hour of every day?

November 7, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  13. Tired of W, OH

I agree that this doesn't belong in the ticker, but that doesn't mean that you douche-bags out there should use it to attack our next POTUS. Haters.....

November 7, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  14. Paulette

I can't wait to see Barack and Michell boarding AIR FORCE ONE!!

November 7, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  15. diane boyd

Now that means more to me than "FIrst Dog Take a Bite at Reporter". I am proud to hear of the Obamas being good parents. We need all the role models we can get. Yes! I am a teacher in a public school!.

November 7, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  16. Mike, Syracuse NY

What's next? Obama eats breakfast? Obama ties his shoes? Obama farts? CNN you need to get over your Obama obsession.

November 7, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  17. Kimberly in Azizona

Awesome, it is news, because we have not had a president with young children like this since Kennedy, this is great, to see a man this young being a GOOD father, something GWB was not, and doing normal father things. I like to read stuff like this, its WAY better than had we had to read about cindy mccain shopping with palin...I am SOOOOO glad Obama is THE PRESIDENT!

November 7, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  18. Michele

Okay I have tried not to say anything it is great that he does the Good Parenting thing this however is not news. Now as far as Black Men using this a role model to being a good dad.....NOW HEAR THIS.....Black Mean are no the only ones not being good fathers believe me......Men are not the only bad parents look at how many so called Mothers are killing their children. This is non sense he goes to PTA meetings this is not the first time we heard this......hopefully there will be other parents that attend also do they get a spot in the news.

November 7, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  19. Proud American

I am a proud supporter of President Obama. However, I think there are somethings that should be kept private. We don't need people knowing his every move. Come on America, you have to know when to shut up. Save the energy for when he's working out the issues and everything else that deals with the American people. For now I think he's just being a parent.

November 7, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  20. Grady Watson

Its good to see good things in the news especially about our new president- elect. I've supported Obama from day 1 and for those who posted things about this not being real news. This is the kind of things we need to see more off. Mix it up some, we know the economy is bad, people have lost jobs, gas, and war. Lets see more positive things and still keep to the issues. Thanks.

November 7, 2008 10:26 am at 10:26 am |
  21. talk2much

Bottom line, he's a terrific role model, just not the color that some would prefer and that's too bad for them. Those who are the haters are the ones missing out. For the Last Time, Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour is the Messiah. Not Mr. Obama, and Mr. Obama would be the FIRST to tell you so. It could be that he's not so big, it's just that you are just so small!!

November 7, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  22. pam Eugene OR

It will be wonderful to have children in the WH again.

November 7, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  23. Michael, Houston Texas

Some of you are missing the point of this story. I believe what CNN is pointing out that it does not matter that this man is the most powerful man in the world, he is still a father, a husband and human. I personally love to hear stories like this. We seldom get to see a President's human side. Although I don't like GWB, I am sure he has a side to him outside of being the President, that most would admire. Now I know you supporters of other candidates are going to make it a point to pot shot everything about Obama and that is to be expected. The problem is, it makes you look foolish and hateful. And you wonder why America is not down with your perspective party's.

November 7, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  24. Adam

For those complaining about this "news", you should know that so many parents never show up for their conferences. Having worked in education, I can say just how little interest a huge number of parents take in their kids education. The fact that he is making it a priority should set a great example for the rest of America, and I hope he continues to LEAD BY EXAMPLE.

November 7, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  25. Cat

Mr President Elect is demonstrating he "walks the walk" and he's a responsible parent. No, it's not headline worthy, but if it makes even one parent think "hey maybe I should attend those parent/teacher conferences, too" then it may make a difference in a child's life. My brother-in-law is a high school science teacher and he spends many hours getting ready for these conferences and usually maybe 10% of the parents bother to come. Then later when they get the report card and find out their child is failing they want to know "why are YOU the teacher letting my child fail!"

November 7, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |