November 7th, 2008

Obama starts day with parent-teacher conference

Barack and Michelle Obama leave their daughters' school Friday after a parent-teacher conference.

(CNN) – He meets with his team of economic advisers and then holds his first news conference as President-elect, but for Barack Obama, the day started with a more personal duty, that of father.

The Obama Transition Office announced this morning that the President-elect would start his day, along with his wife Michelle, by attending a parent teacher conference at his daughters' school in Chicago. Sure enough, the soon-to-be first couple were seen exiting his daughters' school with papers in tow.

Daughters Malia and Sasha are students at the University of Chicago's Lab School.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Debi

Let's hope he serves as an example for all fathers. – Get involved with your kids lives.
    Finally a the president of the greatest nation in the world can also be a role model as a father, husband and leader.

November 7, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  2. Peter of Oregon

He's not running for President, he's the President-elect. He puts country and family first. It's part of who he is.

November 7, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  3. reality

This is nice. A real person as President.

November 7, 2008 10:33 am at 10:33 am |
  4. Tim

Why is this newsworthy?

November 7, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  5. Uncle Fester

Timber (ex dem) November 7th, 2008 10:20 am ET

If I hear "Obama" once more I will puke. Am I alone?

yeah, you are

November 7, 2008 10:34 am at 10:34 am |
  6. Frank the Tank

I figure this ticker is the brand new Best Week Ever on VH1, guess I will stop checking it out as now the post-election news has officially gone to the dogs (oh the other news, sorry Barney)... any good dad would attend a teacher conference, sorry people G.W. loves his girls too... good bye people take care!!!

November 7, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  7. Nick

ladymack, he is handling his business. He's showing the family is important. You obviously think otherwise.

November 7, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  8. Peter of Oregon

This is a President that won't ask anything of you he doesn't ask of himself and his family. He's leading by example.

November 7, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  9. Dr.Mimi De La Cruz

ELECTING OBAMA IS THE BEST THING WE HAVE

DONE SINCE OUR DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE.

November 7, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  10. Edwina

Is it just me or does this man, who was called an Elitist by the other side, seem more like the rest of us than the hockey mom. While I do think Sarah Palin is getting more bad press than she deserves, I am comparing her exit from the concession speech in a full blown motorcade which stretched on for blocks to Barack Obama attending a parent-teacher conference. I think it goes a long way show that he won't govern from the left or from the right, but from the perspective of the average American family.

On the other hand, I thought I had it rough having one parent who was also a teacher. But, to have a parent who is the President-Elect of the United States...wow.

November 7, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  11. pag from TX

To Timber (ex-dem)

Don't be a hater. You just go right ahead and keep puking because you will be hearing Obama's name for a while. So get over it!!

Go ahead Mr President and keep being a good father.

November 7, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  12. Betty Webster NY

So how does that work? The school is shut down and surrounded while they speak with the teacher? I really can't imagine being a teacher and having the prez and first lady come talk to me. Go Obama's!

November 7, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  13. MD for Obama

TO TIMBER (EX-DEM)

Start puking because this is only the beginning!

November 7, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  14. andre nious

OBAMA and Michelle is showing the true meaning of what it is to be normal parents. This is what we need in america.a lot of parents think their job is more important than spending time to know what is going on with their children's education. You show them Mr. President!

November 7, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  15. Darlene

Uh Timber....maybe not a lone, but one of few. It has only been three days. Let people who want to be happy for a minute. Have we become so depressed after 8 years that we have to be so petty and negative. It is an exciting time rather you voted for him or not. So if you don't want to hear about it, maybe get off the CNN site when you know that is all they are going to talk about!

People kept saying "who is Barack Obama" Now they are trying to show you and you are STILL complaining!

Timber (ex dem) November 7th, 2008 10:20 am ET If I hear "Obama" once more I will puke. Am I alone?

November 7, 2008 10:35 am at 10:35 am |
  16. ATL 4 Obama

He makes me so proud. SOOOOO proud. :-) Thanks Mr. Obama. I mean President-elect Obama.

November 7, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  17. LyonsPhilly

Alot of haters on this blog. Why is that? Maybe you're living a dysfunctional life but I believe this is important for the American people as it will teach that family is important and relevant. Give the man a chance. He's not even in office yet but he is trying to do the right thing......

November 7, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  18. javone

for those who think this is not news....it is. I am a teacher and the only parents I see on parent teacher conference night are the parents of students who are already excelling. the parents that NEED to come....DON'T!

November 7, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  19. Dianne D

To all men out there, Pres. Obama just took over the biggest job in the USA and still have time for his family. For all those men who feel their child's education is not important, take a second look. Your 8 hrs on a job doesn't compare to his 24hr job. Take time for your children at school and at home.

November 7, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  20. Former Republican

WE ARE IN GOOD HONORABLE HANDS !!!!

November 7, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  21. Nichole Adams

I disagree with those on this message board who are saying that this is not news or important. I believe President Obama is a family values president. He is setting an example of how to be a good parent (father).

Yes, he has the most important job in our country however, but no job is as important as being a parent.

I am very proud to call him my president.

November 7, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  22. Angie-OHIO

President Obama, was a good dad for Nov 4th and he will continue to be a good dad. You rock President Barack Obama. Our prayers are with you and your lovely family.

November 7, 2008 10:36 am at 10:36 am |
  23. Jeff

He's a good dad and he's gotta look out for his girls !

November 7, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  24. wow

This is what great leaders do. Lead by the power of their example and not by the example of their power

November 7, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |
  25. change is in the air

umm Voter..i think as American's we do care about this.

I know way too many parents that arent the President-elect that cant/wont take the time out of their busy lives to meet with their child teacher...he has responsibilities and priorities, and some of YOU should take a minute and realize that if the President can take time out to make his family a priority, the rest of us sure as h3ll can as well!

that is what is wrong with our society...in alot of households, family has became last on the totum pole of life!

November 7, 2008 10:37 am at 10:37 am |