November 7th, 2008

Obama starts day with parent-teacher conference

Barack and Michelle Obama leave their daughters' school Friday after a parent-teacher conference.

(CNN) – He meets with his team of economic advisers and then holds his first news conference as President-elect, but for Barack Obama, the day started with a more personal duty, that of father.

The Obama Transition Office announced this morning that the President-elect would start his day, along with his wife Michelle, by attending a parent teacher conference at his daughters' school in Chicago. Sure enough, the soon-to-be first couple were seen exiting his daughters' school with papers in tow.

Daughters Malia and Sasha are students at the University of Chicago's Lab School.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Retired USN, Norfolk VA

Timber, you're a real jerk off

November 7, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  2. Jeff - Jax, FL

THIS is why I think he's going to be such a good President. He knows how to keep his focus on what's important and appears to know how to balance family life. He truly recognizes the importance of being a father.

I hope that this example he is setting will be seen by all of the irresponsible and absent fathers in this country, of all races, and serve as a call to change what they're doing.

Way to go Mr. President!

November 7, 2008 10:44 am at 10:44 am |
  3. jaime in PDX

The true foundation of our country and as society is our family.

November 7, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  4. Shari, NY

Blame the press and if you can't handle it then you are free to subject yourself to a news blackout. That's what I did when I could no longer take the Republican rhetoric. Off went the TV, the newspapers got a cursory glance, etc., etc.

November 7, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  5. ELF

NIck, I believe you misunderstood Ladymack. I believe those are kudos for handling his business. Don't be so quick to confront. I believe you two are saying the same thing.

November 7, 2008 10:45 am at 10:45 am |
  6. mitch

FATHER FIRST....

November 7, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  7. Kitty

If Obama worked with Ayers to improve the Chicago education system, why don't his Obama's children go to public shcools?

November 7, 2008 10:46 am at 10:46 am |
  8. Indiana

This sets an example. For some it is a no brainer be part of you kids education. My hope is that this type of story lets non-participating parents know they need to step up. This has been his message all along. We all need to step up.

November 7, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  9. gm

Imagine being that teacher.

November 7, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  10. Keith

Can we find out how involved he was before this? How many meetings has he missed before his run for the White House? I have two girls same age and grades. I have never missed a parent night.

I like Obama I am going to give him a chance to fix things. But making a parent meeting in school means nothing to all of us parents that do it everyday.

November 7, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  11. JP

Yep, there's that "man of the people, the "every man," the "populist" who "understands the concerns and plights of poor Americans" sending his kids to one of the most exclusive private schools in the nation.

I'm glad he's such a common man and carries no airs.

November 7, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  12. Il_voter

WOW. What a news.
    I can not attend parent teacher meetings because I have to travel out of town for work.

November 7, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  13. ThatOne

I am not convinced CNN reviews comments as a source to improve their coverage. Their feedback page is from 2007. It still has Paula Zahn listed. I have said this before, and will say it again. Ted Turner, please come back and save your baby.

November 7, 2008 10:47 am at 10:47 am |
  14. ELF

Timber (ex dem) – Yes, you are alone.

Obama Obama Obama Obama Obama Obama Obama Obama Obama Obama Obama Obama Obama Obama Obama Obama

R U puking yet! Get ready to be puking for the next 4 years, hopefully the next 8.

November 7, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  15. L. Camille Mason

To all of you that are wondering if this is news worthy, it is. If he was cheating on his wife or involved in a sex scandal or some other horrible thing you'd eat it up like a pack of wild dogs. The problem is most people are only used to hearing negative stories about black men and seeing dysfunctional black relationships. We do not all find out who our "baby Daddy" is by going on the Maury Povich show. Some of us actually getmarried and have children by the man we married and actually have successful marriages and successful, well adjusted children. No he is not the savior of the world, that job is already taken. People have been complaining that they know nothing about Barack Obama, who is this guy they repeatedly say, but then the media presents a human interest story (they do have those every evening on local and national news) that will give you insight as to who he is and you turn away from it. Some people are never satisfied. I'm glad to see this, maybe it will influence other Dads both black and white to step up to the plate and be involved in thier lives.

November 7, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  16. Market watcher

Way to go Barry, inventor of "soft-child-exploitation" (of his own kids, even)!!

November 7, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  17. John Luma

It's very revealing when our top leaders choose NOT to send their kids to the public schools America relies on to educate most of our people. And almost all of them send their own kids to private schools. So let's see what Obama does now. Does he believe in the value of public education for Americans, or not? Does he want to show it is a top priority, or not? And I will say to all, until public education becomes the Number 1 social priority for every citizen, our Nation will continue to suffer the results, as it does now.

November 7, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  18. america wins

i love our new president, our children are so blessed to have such a wonderful role model.

November 7, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  19. Independent Voter

GOD Bless President and First Lady Obama, their children and family members; may GOD's hand rest upon them, keep and protect them, strenghten and guide them, lead and direct them, in all their ways may they acknowledge you, in JESUS name. AMEN

To all believers – please keep our President lifted up in prayer each and everyday...GOD Bless you all and GOD Bless and keep America!

November 7, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  20. anonymous

To Kimberly, the woman that thinks many black men and women do this every year??? Are you kidding?? How many, statistically speaking, black women even "know the baby daddy?". Statistics show MORE BLACKS have children out of wedlock than any other race. At one time, they, as a race, were being paid for getting married!!! How lazy is that? I know who my baby's daddy is – maybe the blacks will look upon this family as role models for THEMSELVES. Its not us that needs them! No way, no how is a black family in the white house a role model for me! I'm so sick of hearing their name, I'm with the guy that's going to puke! Besides, CNN, don't you have some news-worthy reporting to do or are we going to hear from you everytime the man farts?

November 7, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  21. brad

We get it CNN, he won. I knew that when the election ended CNN would have nothing relevant to report. "Plenty of bias, plenty of bull."
    Perhaps Roland Martin will get a cabinet post.............................................

November 7, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  22. vern

Voter November 7th, 2008 9:57 am ET

I think we American don't really care about this. We all got the message about what a good father he is.

Let's move on to something a little more relevant
    Reply: What's more relevant than the education of our children?...It just goes to show you how progreesive minded our president-elect is.He realizes that his children's education is vital to our future as Americans

November 7, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  23. Pat

Timber (ex dem) November 7th, 2008 10:20 am ET

If I hear "Obama" once more I will puke. Am I alone?

--------------

No, you're not - there are MILLIONS of us !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 7, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  24. Greg in MN

Did I miss the inauguration ladymack? He is handling his business. He's the President ELECT...not yet THE President.

He needs to get ready to take over, he has not done it yet, and taking care of his kids is part of that.

And to the people asking "is this news?"...It's called a "fluff" piece people, they happen all the time, have happened for decades and will happen in the future.

Relax a little will ya?

November 7, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  25. Joshua

Oh great Obama went to his childrens PTA meeting. My life is complete now. Thanks CNN for presenting this much appreaciated "News".

November 7, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |