November 7th, 2008

Palin calls attacks 'cruel' and 'cowardly'

Sources close to John McCain say Sarah Palin was denied a chance to speak at McCain's concession address.

(CNN) - Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin called former aides of Sen. John McCain "jerks" for circulating unflattering stories about her since the Republican ticket lost its bid for the White House Tuesday.

The stories, which have been attributed to unnamed sources within the McCain campaign, include claims that Palin did not know Africa was a continent instead of a country, or which countries are part of the North American Free Trade Agreement, despite touting her familiarity with neighboring Canada.

Speaking with CNN's Gary Tuchman after returning to Alaska, Palin speculated those stories may have originated with campaign staffers who helped her prepare for her debate with Democratic Vice President-elect Joe Biden.

Full story

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Paula

Palin was the victim of her own greed and ambition-she stood there with a smirk as people at rallies called out the most rasist ugly vile things about Obama.
    What goes around comes around.

November 7, 2008 09:25 pm at 9:25 pm |
  2. Independant vet

NEVER THE LESS , IN LESS THAN 4 YRS, YOU KNOW WHO WILL BE KNOCKING AT THE FRONT DOOR TO START PACKING AN GET READY TO MOVE.

SO BEST THEY KEEP DONATING FOR THE DNC BUNCH . FOR BY THEN THE MEDIA WILL BE LOOKING HOW TO CRAWL OUT OF THE WOOD SHED TO SPREAD MORE LIES. AS OF NOW IT IS FRONT PAGE NEWS, WE THE MEDIA DONE OUR JOB FOR HOLLYWOOD.

November 7, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  3. Leo

Someone tell me why the hatred of this woman is so intense. I found her genuine, articulate and a Washington outsider. You liberal haters that continue to spew your hatred is ponderous. Can't you see that the liberal media has painted this picture of Sarah Palin. Stop drinking the kool-aid liberals and wake up. We are entering a new era that needs are support. BI- PARTISAN

November 7, 2008 09:26 pm at 9:26 pm |
  4. Pat Pa.

So, Sarah thinks that attacks toward her are " cruel " and " cowardly " and " taken out of context ". Wow !!!!! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. She should think back on her speeches on the campaign trail. You know, there is an old saying " never burn all your bridges behind you ". I think all of her bridges, including the one to " nowhere " have all gone up in smoke. Welcome to reality Sarah. You are now in the real world.

November 7, 2008 09:27 pm at 9:27 pm |
  5. David Somuah

She didn't know Africa was a continent? What? She can't see Africa from Alaska?

**lol** couldn't help that one.

Seriously though. I'm not a Palin fan, but I think it's petty to be dredging up this crap after you've lost the election. Okay, so maybe some of McCain's aides feel selecting Palin was a mistake, and they are fed up after 6 weeks of dealing with her, still McCains loss can be attributed to a number of factors and it's for McCain's aides to pin it on Palin makes it sound like they are trying to divert attention away from their own mistakes.

November 7, 2008 09:28 pm at 9:28 pm |
  6. Carol,

Yeah, it's no fun when people say nasty things about you is it? Things like Socialist, Marxist, Kill him, etc.

Go away Sara and don't come back.

November 7, 2008 09:29 pm at 9:29 pm |
  7. Sue T

I said it before and I will say it again.......what goes around, comes around........I said that when Palin was throwing trash around about Obama, looks like it's coming back to her 7 fold...........what we sow, we reap........looks like she is reaping what she sowed.......sorry Palin, don't have a bit of pity for you after all the trash you threw at Obama......

November 7, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  8. BC

Woo-hah – a Republican civil war – or as Rush would say, an 'uncivil war'! No one can win this one but the Dems! You go girl – run in 2012! These conservatives are idiots! We love Barak!!!

November 7, 2008 09:30 pm at 9:30 pm |
  9. mitch

how dare they point out her obvious lack of an IQ?

November 7, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  10. georgia girl

she could dish it out but she can't take it, hypocrite, she almost got obama killed with her hate and lies. not at all sorry for this woman.

November 7, 2008 09:33 pm at 9:33 pm |
  11. Jaynie

"I don't think any kind of perceived whine helps our cause".

I wonder if she has a greater appreciation of Hillary Clinton now.

November 7, 2008 09:34 pm at 9:34 pm |
  12. IowaMom

Leo November 7th, 2008 9:26 pm ET

************************************************************************

And your way of being BI-PARTISAN is yet bringing up the lame attack of drinking the kook-aid and saying "you liberal haters". Yep, sounds like you want to bring everyone together.

November 7, 2008 09:36 pm at 9:36 pm |
  13. Mika

Although I agree that Palin should not be used as the McCain scapegoat and the post election slander is uncouth, let's just admit that Sarah Palin was considered a contender because of her attractiveness not her qualifications. Seriously, can you say that people would have backed a candidate with her level of civic knowledge and experience if she had been dowdy, overweight, odd featured or even just a plain Jane? Close your eyes and strip her of her beauty pageant winning allure and what are you left with? Someone who doesn't have the aptitude or the ambition to educate herself on topics that are relevant to holding one of the highest government posts in this country (if she had, she would have done it by now). Yes, she has confidence. Yes, she exhibits charm and can deliver a speech effectively, but she was a nominee in a presidential race, not the Emmys. I'd have her emcee a national event any day, but to be second in command as our country's leader, she was way out of her league.

November 7, 2008 09:37 pm at 9:37 pm |
  14. Sue in MI

So I guess her attacks on Obama were "cruel" and "cowardly" too?

November 7, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  15. Jessica from Michigan

Why can't people just admit that she simply isn't that bright. Nothing to do with gender. If she were male, the attacks would have been much stronger, but people didn't what to be labeled "sexist". I thought Biden went easy on her in the debates, he had to! No choice there.

I would love to ask her how she justifies the "socialist" claims in light of her own support of the redistribution of oil wealth in the great state of Alaska! She just not make sense.

As women, the emphasis need to be on substance and intellect. On a national stage, a simple suit (no need to be by Versace) is all that's needed. Clothes should not be a distraction, as it's not fashion week in NYC! Neutral tones, and a crisp white blouse underneath, perfect! Let your education take center stage, ladies!

One day a woman with substance will win the Presidency!

November 7, 2008 09:38 pm at 9:38 pm |
  16. Randy, San Francisco

Word of advice to Palin.: Do not go on the show, "Are you smarter than a 3rd grader?" Her interviews answered that question.

November 7, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  17. The American people have spoken

Even though I don't like her because of the lies, inuendos, fear-mongering, divisiveness she carried on with in the campaign, it's not right what they are doing. If anything they should come out publicly and say what they have to say, but, I'm not surprised with this kind of nastiness from the Republican party.

November 7, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  18. Steve the I.T. guy

So when will this all stop? It's over, Obama won and you continue to bash Sarah for what reason? To make yourselves feel better about electing someone with less Executive Experience then she has? Is that it? She has far more Executive Experience then Obama and Biden combined. So what if she doesn't know about Foreign affairs. She was not picked as VP for her foreign experienced. She was picked because she is a REFORMER. She gets things done and has proven her ability to WORK for the American people. Hate to break it to you; Obama has ZERO...ZIP...NADA on Foreign policy experience too. That is why he picked Biden in the 1st place. Oh, how you forgot about that? His week long trip overseas gave him all the experience he needed right?

You hated Bush because he had no experience, so what did you do. You went ahead and elected Obama cause he's the one for change. Change what, I don't know, he has never said anything that he would change except raise our taxes and redistribute our wealth and have a Bigger Government run everyone’s lives.

I like Sarah and her down to Earth attitude. You know something, she was right. She is a REAL American like any one of us. She worked for her position in government because she saw the flaws and corruption and FIXED it. To continue to treat her as less then that just proves you are the REAL UN-American's. You people calling her every name in the book need to look in the mirror first. Maybe go get a real education because you lack any morals what so ever.

November 7, 2008 09:39 pm at 9:39 pm |
  19. Critical Thinker

I can't believe that the republicans are blaming Palin for their lost. They are the ones who chose Palin to be McCain's running mate. As history continues, the republicans do not take responsibilities for their actions but to blame them on other people.

Republicans need to start thinking outside of the box and look at the bigger picture.

The blame game is the oldest trick in the book, and Americans are starting to see right through republicans.

Republican need to come up with new strategies and they need to start allowing their young republicans to make suggestions and incorporate those suggestions or ideas to achieve a better outcome.

I AM A DEMOCRAT because of the old games that the republicans continue to play. Republicans need to embrace change and lead by example.

November 7, 2008 09:43 pm at 9:43 pm |
  20. Lilac in Toronto, Canada

So they wanted to push her on us!! Who let the Dog out!!!

November 7, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  21. Mary

First of all, I am in no way a Sarah fan,however:

I hope that this election has taught her and shown her how unprepared she is/was to run for a major government position. I hope she will take the time now to study and learn what all is involved and learn about herself and her capabilities. Then I hope she will be realistic with her goals and asperations. I mean her no harm.

Next I do want to give her credit for her spunk and determination. Ok so the spunk and determination was misguided and just plain off the mark, but hey, YOU BETCHA she tried.

The reality for her right now is that she has been handed a golden opportunity. She can make tons of lemonade out of the lemons. If she writes a book she will have to do it fast because the interest is going to die fast, she could do a made for tv movie and make some bucks, but again act fast. Or she could progress and turn history around. Who knows, there are lots of things for her to do.

I won't be buying the book or watching the movie however.

Good luck Sarah. I do honestly mean that.

HOwever, I am jubulant that I don't have to worry about you in our nations high office.
    Mary

November 7, 2008 09:44 pm at 9:44 pm |
  22. Frank

Any way we can send Tina Fey to Alaska too? Her making fun of Palin is comparable to Richard Simmons making making fun of Michael Jackson.

November 7, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  23. Sue in MI

Leo "I know what I know what I know" is hardly an "articulate" statement. And "you betcha" and her other colloquialisms do not belong in a national political campaign. Call me elitist, but people expect their leaders to have some command of their native language. She threw "also" into every sentence a couple of times, she couldn't even tell Couric the name of ONE magazine or newspaper she reads, and you found her articulate? I don't hate her, I just don't have any use for a woman who is so ambitious she doesn't even know when she's out of her league. And a woman with a Down syndrome newborn and a pregnant teenage daughter, and supposedly a fulltime job in Alaska (although I guess the legislature meets just 90 days) should have said "No, thanks" to the RNC. There would have been other campaigns. Now I think she has ruined that for herself.

November 7, 2008 09:46 pm at 9:46 pm |
  24. elvera

I am so glad that Palin gets what she deserves. She thought that she has ‘an exclusive right’ to use the dirty tactics such as insinuation, smears and outright lies and will be rewarded for it. What goes around – comes around… exactly! She will forever be a symbol of idiocy, the biggest political joke.

November 7, 2008 09:47 pm at 9:47 pm |
  25. Wynter

Wow... you have the gall to call them names? This is the big league little lady. Stick to your own local politics and good luck "trying" to stay out of jail.. not to mention getting reelected to your post. Because you burned alot of bridges with your little stunts with McCain. Don't expect an easy election up there...

Wynter