November 7th, 2008

Reid: Lieberman did something 'improper'

Reid is torn over Lieberman.
Reid is torn over Lieberman.

(CNN) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid made clear Friday he's not happy with Joe Lieberman over the onetime Democrat's avid support of John McCain's White House bid, but told CNN the Connecticut independent has a strong record of voting with the Democrats.

Watch: Reid torn over Lieberman

"Joe Lieberman has done something that I think was improper, wrong, and I'd like if we weren't on television, I'd use a stronger word of describing what he did," Reid told CNN's John King. "But Joe Lieberman votes with me a lot more than a lot of my senators. He didn't support us on military stuff and he didn't support us on Iraq stuff. You look at his record, it's pretty good."

Sources tell CNN Reid wants to strip Lieberman of his Homeland Security Committee chairmanship and offer him the chairmanship of a less high-profile committee. Lieberman reportedly called the proposal "not acceptable."

The full interview with Reid airs on CNN's Late Edition, Sunday at 11 a.m. ET.

Filed under: Harry Reid • Popular Posts
  1. CoBEn2000

Didn't anyone watch the RNC? When compared to the other speakers Joe was Daniel in the lions den. At one point it appeared as if they were booing him as he was calling for bipartisan politics instead of the usual "us vs them" mentality that goes along with the blindingly white RNC panel. While I think it was politically telling that move he made to back Mccain in the way he did, engaging in petty name-calling only serves to prove the speakers credentials and not the victim of this abuse. A political move camoes with political punishment, this is not the same as corporal punisment but I'm sure some here would like it that way.

November 7, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  2. Debby

I hope he dumps the Dem. party then Reid can SHUT UP

November 7, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  3. Terry

Joe Lieberman made his bed, now let him sleep in that bed, or make a new bed for himself. He holds to his convictions, and I like that about the man. However, when the Majority is handing out Chairmanship Positions, I think those who helped carry the water bucket should get priority over those that went off to cheer for the other team. "Hit'em High – Hit'em Low, Sorry Joe you have to go!"

November 7, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  4. dbcrum

I thought we had a choice in this country to support whomever we want regardless of party affiliation. Should the dems sanction him then it is politics as usual.

Obama ran on CHANGE and not politics as usual but Reed and Pelosi apparently did not get the message. Come on over Jow L, the right needs you...

November 7, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  5. Mike T. Vaughn

Even if it's not acceptable to Liebeman.........we have enough problems with the mess allready we are in get rid of Lieberman

November 7, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  6. Tariq

Let me say this again...........NO ONE IS PUNISHING LIEBERMAN FOR SWITCHING PARTIES OR SUPPORTING MCCAIN!

It is called freedom of speech.

What Reid is talking about is Lieberman crossing the line and attacking Obama's character and patriotism.

Obama will unify and work in a bi-partisan manner.....but he does not need to work with drama queens like Lieberman who get emotionally caught up in a campaign.

I say punishment does nothing....but questioning his loyalty is very valid!!

November 7, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  7. Michael

I'm sure the voters of CT are very happy that they returned Joe Lieberman to the Senate. The fact that he hitched his wagon to John McCain - and lost - he is now having to face the consequences. Reid is right, he is no longer a Democrat and should lose his HSC chairmanship. The fact that he thinks the proposal is "not acceptable" is funny - he doesn't have a choice. Let him go vote with his GOP pals, I'm, sure they love to have him. Good riddance!

November 7, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  8. Alex the Pure-Bred Dem

Joe Lieberman? More like Joe "Benedict Arnold" LIE-berman! I think he's a suitable example of traitors in American history who should burn in hell for their unpatriotic ways and accept the fact that they're lucky that at least they're being offered a position of power instead of saying the demotion is "unacceptable"...THE NERVE!!! He should be strutted around and egged and humiliated in front of the whole nation and its soon-to-be president Obama! And by the way "Vegas," Joe is not a Democrat, he's an Independent.

November 7, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  9. doug, fairbanks, alaska

Joe Lieberman makes me ill...pure and simple..a turncoat if there ever was one

November 7, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  10. John

Dump him now. His allegiance is elsewhere (not the USA) anyway. He screwed the Dems the first time when he lost the re-election bid, then again with McCain. Don't tell me you don't see a pattern here.

November 7, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  11. Jesus Praising Freedom Loving Patriot

Joe was Gore's VP running mate in 2000.

Hard to believe.

I can't believe this guy has the jewels to do what he is doing.

When is he up for re-election?

November 7, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  12. Ralph

Yes,Liebermann expressed his opinion but would we be having this discussion if Mccain had won?There is an african proverb that says' when you dip your hands in the old lady's food,you must eat it'.Joe Liebermann called the tune,he must dance to it.

November 7, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  13. Polly

If I'm not mistaken this is still a free country and we can say what we want. Too bad for Mr Reid–I'll take honesty any day over party politics. I am an Obama supporter. I'm from Ct and I respect Joe. He's done a good job.

November 7, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  14. Jess C

Wow, I'm seriously disappointed with the comments on this forum, they're so spiteful, ugly and they do nothing to help bring this nation together. I also think Harry Reid's comments are arrogant, and again, do nothing to bring both parties and all opinions together for the betterment of the nation. Differing opinions shouldn't be scorned, too many men and woman have died for our right to disagree with each other and have committees made up of individuals with different points of view. Cherish the differences, disagree with the point of view, but don't attack the individual who disagrees with you–it's a fallacy.

November 7, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  15. allen

Who does Joe Lieberman think he is? "Unacceptable"? Take what you are offered, Joe, or take a hike...or better yet...go become "Joe the Plumber" or perhaps "Joe the former Chairman". As a Democrat who worked hard this election and sweated this out for "real change" in America, I'm disgusted with what you have done and for the audacity you show now in demanding that you retain your Chairmanship. It was you who left the Party, Joe, not the Party leaving you. Signed...."Allen the Real Democrat" who knows loyalty and lives it and doesn't take opportunity at the stake of others when he can take it.

November 7, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  16. Chela

I think Joe Lieberman just wants power. The only reason he ran as an Independent in the first place was because he lost the Democratic nomination for Senate that year. He blows in the wind, trying to align himself with the "winning team". I agree that he should be kicked out of the Democratic Caucus.

November 7, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  17. Olivia

I wondered how long it was going to be before the liberal dems like Reid and Pelosi try to get or punish Lieberman for supporting his friend McCain.
    Leave Lieberman alone!
    I didn't see any dems coming to his help when he lost his seat and was written off. He's where he is today because of his tenacity......and running as an independent.

November 7, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  18. Liberals are Scary

Hey Liberals, here's what to expect out of Obama's administration…
    Politics as usual!
    No 'Kumbaya'!
    No 'We Are the World'!
    No 'Change'!
    Just plain ol' Dirty Partisan Politics!
    Thanks for demonstrating 'tolerance' Reid!
    God forbid going against the Party every now and then!
    What are you Lieberman, a Maverick!?
    Hey Lieberman, I hope you don't have any pet fish!
    You may end up with its severed head lying next to you in bed courtesy of Obama's Chief O' Staff, Rahm Emanuel!
    Obama is an expert politician and just as slimy!
    Kool-Aid drinkers, prepare to have your bubbles burst!
    The Party of Tolerance and Lofty Ideals is yesterday's dream.
    Today, its back to politics as usual.

November 7, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  19. wood

If Mr. lieberman had done that to my party & turned to the other side & their shaky candidates; I'd take him off every chairmanship and tell him to his face why I was doing it. If he wants to be Independent show him the Independent Chairmanship position = It DOESN'T EXIST.

Not only did he disgrace the Democratic party and the democratic candidate ; he has shown he has no backbone & is the voice of the Rich Republican Jew. Let him Change parties if that is who he wishes to continue to represent.

I definitely would not allow him to caucus with Democrats any longer.
    He cannot be trusted.

November 7, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  20. Face Facts

Look guys. I know Pelosi is not everyone's fan, nor may Reid be. But no one can deny that Lieberman had every right to support who is supported.....

But – in the fashion he did, what he said, WHERE he said it. Wrong move. Dems have a touch call here.

Me – I say get rid of him. His comments throughout this thing were way too divisive. Not what was needed.

November 7, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  21. Michael

As a democrat I was shocked by Lieberman's anti-Obama comments in campaigning for McCain. But the democratic party won the election and it can afford to be generous and accept divergent points of view. This would be a step in the right direction for the new, more confident democratic party that represents the majority of Americans.

Leave the backbiting to others, Harry.....

November 7, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  22. allen

one last thing...Joe, ready some history...Benedict Arnold betrayed his country much as you did your President and your Party...the result being he ended up being a man without a country as he was never received and welcomed in Britain and never trusted and America forever hated him. You are now a man without a political party and it is only human nature to think that the Democrat Party will never again trust you and certainly the Republicans won't either. How could someone so intelligent be so politicially stupid. I wonder what you were promised by McCain that would have led you to make such foolish decisions. No sympathy here, and when you are up for re-election, you need to become "Joe the Defeated".

November 7, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  23. John for Obama

GET HIM!! he was vile nasty and plain ol ignorant just liek the McCain campainn

November 7, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  24. Chino

Right after the election? Come people, this is getting tiresome and ridiculous. Harry Reid is nothing more than a bitter old fart. He and Nancy Pelosi will be at it again with the politic as usual mentality. Nothing is going to change under the leaderships of these two career politicians. Do the job you are hire to do and stop this gridlock. Do your JOB Reed and Pelosi.

November 7, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  25. floridian

Let's see, Sen. Reid calls legistlative bills "stuff". I guess he was thinking of those earmarks in terms of turkey and what is put inside one - or he was reflecting what he really thinks about a bill - just "stuff", nothing important. Sen Lieberman is an American, first, and a Democratically-leaning Independent second, who, in his own opinion, put country first. He represents the people in his home state and they should decide his future, which they apparently did in the last election in which he defeated his incumbent AND the DNC AND the democratic party's leadership. Why can't Nevada send this un-American, egotistical, self-serving man into retirement?

November 7, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |