November 7th, 2008

Reid: Lieberman did something 'improper'

Reid is torn over Lieberman.
Reid is torn over Lieberman.

(CNN) - Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid made clear Friday he's not happy with Joe Lieberman over the onetime Democrat's avid support of John McCain's White House bid, but told CNN the Connecticut independent has a strong record of voting with the Democrats.

Watch: Reid torn over Lieberman

"Joe Lieberman has done something that I think was improper, wrong, and I'd like if we weren't on television, I'd use a stronger word of describing what he did," Reid told CNN's John King. "But Joe Lieberman votes with me a lot more than a lot of my senators. He didn't support us on military stuff and he didn't support us on Iraq stuff. You look at his record, it's pretty good."

Sources tell CNN Reid wants to strip Lieberman of his Homeland Security Committee chairmanship and offer him the chairmanship of a less high-profile committee. Lieberman reportedly called the proposal "not acceptable."

The full interview with Reid airs on CNN's Late Edition, Sunday at 11 a.m. ET.

Filed under: Harry Reid • Popular Posts
  1. Bobby Burns

HARRY YOU ARE IMPROPER YOURSELF. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE JOE ON THE GOP. REID, POLOSI ARE SO ARROGANT. JUST REMEMBER REID YOU WILL NEED JOE DOWN THE ROAD. HOPE HE STIFFS YOU AND THE LIBERALS

November 7, 2008 10:12 pm at 10:12 pm |
  2. HB

Given the tone of the Democrats commenting here, does anyone believe that Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi are really going to be bipartisan? These people can even get along with someone who votes with them 90% of the time.

November 7, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  3. Harry, IL

Did you look at Obama apologizing to Nancy Reagan for his stupid remarks? This shows how inexperienced he is. He has no substance.
    Tomorrow he can say/do anything and then apologize. American people are forgiving but they cannot stand for these kind of silly things.

November 7, 2008 10:13 pm at 10:13 pm |
  4. Ryan

Maggie in SC, you’re incorrect because Joe Lieberman was a democrat at the time when he spoke on behalf of Sen. John McCain.

November 7, 2008 10:15 pm at 10:15 pm |
  5. douglas

so much for bi partisianship, putting away politics, reaching across the table etc...

I thought it didnt matter what political side you were on, as long as we work together to fix the country blah blah blah...

November 7, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  6. mike

What Harry would have liked to say if there were no cameras: "PARTY FIRST ! Then we'll worry about dealing with those little people we call constituents"

I like how Reid called the Democrats in Congress "my senators"

Last I checked, as American citizens, they are OUR Senators who have been elected to do what is best for our country and the states they represent.

November 7, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  7. ChrisP

Cut Joe loose, Senator Reid. He has been a traitor to the Democratic Party, pretends to be an Independent and is a Republican mole in the caucus.

He is a self-serving and unprincipled man of straw.

Relieve him of the heavy burden of chairmanship, replacing him with a true Democrat who has read, and understood, the Constitution, sending Joe into the political limbo where he rightfully belongs.

November 7, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  8. Blue in NC

To Maggie in SC:

I'm sorry that you think that somebody is "too nice to be Democrat"! It's a sad state of affairs when we can't just disagree about issues – that we have to demonize and question the character of those who have different opinions than we do and not just disagree with the ideas of those that hold different positions. I'm know that I, as a Democrat, love this country just as much as you do, want to serve it just as much as you (I served in the Peace Corps for two years in Central America), and am (hopefully) as nice as you (at least I try and I'm sure that my politics isn't the thing that gets in the way of my niceness).

My prayer is that, under President Obama, we can get away from this tearing down of those who disagree with us and can see that we ARE the UNITED States of America!

November 7, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  9. OHIO GOES "BLUE"!

BENEDICT ARNOLD!!!! GOODBYE JOE – YOU TURN COAT, THERE"S NOTHING HERE FOR YOU. GOP = RIP!

November 7, 2008 10:20 pm at 10:20 pm |
  10. Laura, Boston

Harry Reid is a jerk! He wants it both ways. Lieberman is NOT I repeat NOT a dem he is an independent who can cross the aisle on things he believes in.

He votes most times with the dems because he stands with them socially.

Foreign policy however he disagrees with the dems so he votes with the rep. He can do this!!!! It doesn't make him a turncoat. He is an American Citizen who has the right to support whomever he sees fit for POTUS!!

Grow up

November 7, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  11. cliff

WE DONT NEED YOU JOE SO BACK AND KISS JOHN MCCAIN'S BACKSIDE SOMEMORE

November 7, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  12. CT Res

As someone who actually IS represented by Joe Lieberman, I found his comments deplorable. HE DOES NOT SPEAK for over 70% of our state and his comments both at the RNC and throughout his endorsement of the McCain campaign epitomize the antithesis of what his constituents believe. Don't forget, he is supposed to be representing his constituency, not his own self-interest. He WILL be voted out of his position in the next election. Trust me.

November 7, 2008 10:25 pm at 10:25 pm |
  13. Chet

Either Joe goes or Harry should be ousted as Majority leader.

Endorsing McCain as a single-issue voter is one thing, but Lieberman crossed the line when he questioned Obama's patriotism, attacked the Democratic party at the RNC and campaigned for Republican congressional candidates.

The Republicans posting here know that, they're just whining.

Let 'em howl.

November 7, 2008 10:26 pm at 10:26 pm |
  14. san

JOE,
    You are clearly receiving your orders from quarters that intends you to the fullest for discords, and kick you to the curb where you belong. Choose wisely. Its fitting at this time leave dems alone since you are republican in identity stealth mode.

November 7, 2008 10:28 pm at 10:28 pm |
  15. choptop

Oh no. Now the crazed necons will start saying things like, so much for partasinship, see I told you so. Get ready to hear neocon buzzwords like "socalism", "marxism" and any other bizzare conspiracy theory.

November 7, 2008 10:33 pm at 10:33 pm |
  16. Darcy - Arkansas

I spent good money supporting my candidate in his election bid. I don't like it at all that my efforts were under-minded by members of my own party. Joe changed his registration to Independent so he should be encouraged to do as he pleases as an independent, not occupy a democrat seat that can be used against us.

November 7, 2008 10:35 pm at 10:35 pm |
  17. jake longoria

Harry, Lieberman has more character than you will ever know, you are a self serving idiot. I cannot see why the people of Nevada voted for you, I hope the next time you come up for election you are ousted. Obama will never be able to get things done with people like you in power, you are part of the old regim and a hinderance to Obama's success. Obama needs new blood and you sir are a dinosaur who does not even know he is extinct. Obama wants to reach across the isle and forge a better government for the people, the only time you reach across the isle is to stab someone like Lieberman in the back!!!

November 7, 2008 10:39 pm at 10:39 pm |
  18. Nannie Bouroughs

Joe has always been PRO ISRAEL, PRO WAR!

The ONLY other priority Joe has is: JOE!

Joe has never been FOR the USA!

This man has no principles and simply has no right to be serving as a US Senator!

He should be sent to ISRAEL on one of the many NUKES that we supply them with!

November 7, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  19. E.C.Coleman

Senator Lieberman has the right to do and say anything he likes, and Reid has no right to judge Senator Lieberman.
    What Reid is attempting to do in retaliation to Senator Lieberman is the most childish and immature act possible.
    Reid is acting just like Pelosi in her tirade of a speech against Republicans and President Bush during the Economic Crisis Funding Vote.

November 7, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  20. Disgruntled republican

Joe is a TRAITOR. Not only to his party, but to his country. His loyalty lies with Israel. He is the one who is not a true American. Everytime you ask a Jewish person about what's most important they reference Israel. America first!! Joe could care less about the USA. Israel is the biggest war monger and will get us into more war if we dont put our foot down.

November 7, 2008 10:40 pm at 10:40 pm |
  21. Ken, Plano, TX

It's not just that Lieberman backed the opposition candidate, it's the kind of campaign he chose to support. McCain's campaign was ruthless in its attempts to distract voters from its own inadequacies, and had a very casual relationship with the truth.

I don't see how it could enhance anyone's standing to have been a part of that campaign. It was a travesty, run on trivial wedge issues, pure negativity. It was a waste of .the voters' time to campaign against their opponent instead of for a set of goals and strategies, and it was a series of insultingly transparent attempts at manipulation through propaganda

Lieberman of all people should know better than to be a party to the ugly phenomenon McCain and Palin built. He might have stopped them, he could have gotten out, but he chose to be a part of that campaign. What are the ethics of that?

November 7, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  22. Sandra from Canada

Why do you people have trouble spelling loser? For example: Lieberman is a loser..... or since I've lost weight my pants are looser. Or.......... what have I got to lose / my dog broke his chain and got loose. Get it?

November 7, 2008 10:44 pm at 10:44 pm |
  23. Zuqer

Don't sweat it! When election time comes around for Lieberman, it will be over for him anyway. We plan on getting him out of here. The same movement that helped Barack in CT will get Lieberman out.

November 7, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  24. Chad

I'm pretty progressive, but I have to stick up for the guy. Lieberman has the right to support whomever he wants in the election. Just as many republicans backed President Elect Obama.

November 7, 2008 10:45 pm at 10:45 pm |
  25. DC

Honestly, it's as much sour grapes as any conservative crying foul over Colin Powell.

Is it really surprising though? No.

November 7, 2008 10:49 pm at 10:49 pm |