November 8th, 2008

Obama inauguration tickets already offered for sale online

Tickets to Obama's historic inauguration are free -- even though they are already being offered online for thousands of dollars.
Tickets to Obama's historic inauguration are free - even though they are already being offered online for thousands of dollars.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Organizers of the 56th Presidential Inauguration are warning consumers to be skeptical of tickets being offered for sale online to President-Elect Barack Obama's swearing-in ceremony.

With 73 days to go, tickets are already appearing on the Internet with a hefty price tag. On eBay, 18 bidders have driven up one pair to more than $1,000. One Web site, Inauguraltickets.com, is inviting members of the public to place orders, warning "Our prices will reflect the difficulty in obtaining" tickets. Another site, Dreamtix, is offering a variety of seats ranging from $1,400 to $21,000 a pop.

Watch: Inaugural tickets already for sale on the Web

Carole Florman, Communications Director for the Joint Congressional Committee on Inaugural Ceremonies, says "anyone claiming to have tickets to sell right now, or saying that they will guarantee tickets, is not telling the truth." Florman told CNN the 240,000 free tickets to the swearing-in ceremony are currently in a "secure location" and will not be handed out until a few days before. Tickets to the Inaugural Parade and official balls will be handled by a Presidential Inaugural Committee, which has yet to be formed.

The inaugural committee Web site advises members of the public wishing to attend to contact their members of Congress or U.S. Senator and ask to be put on the list for tickets.

An employee answering the phone at Dreamtix.com would give no comment to CNN about their tickets on offer. Karl Roes, the owner of Inauguraltickets.com, told CNN the site buys and sells tickets on the "secondary market" and, while they are taking orders, "we are not claiming we have tickets" at this time.

1. Griff

Nini Sasa Obama? You are off target. Nairobi is about 12000 miles away... East?? West? Well that's the way you came, in 1964.

You can't do whatever is in your dreams... America was Founded by Europeans... Indian's from ASIA... But Not By Africa....
    Nataka Nini Obama???

November 8, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  2. Denise Groves

I am planning to attend. A group of us are making plans where I am employeed to attend this historical event

November 8, 2008 11:07 pm at 11:07 pm |
  3. Happy camper

As much as I would love to go to the inauguration, I will ensure that I have the best seat in the house in my living room on January 20th. God bless Barack Obama!

November 8, 2008 11:10 pm at 11:10 pm |
  4. Michael

I guess they are selling "hope"...

November 8, 2008 11:14 pm at 11:14 pm |
  5. a. westin

i like a free ticket please

November 8, 2008 11:16 pm at 11:16 pm |
  6. oklahoma woman 4 Obama

To bad people are exploiting this great event. anything to get over on people

November 8, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  7. Griff

Why did I serve my Country? Just so America can Elect this: "None Earthling"? America always talk about America. We Saved the World, in 1942... My war was Siren's. Black-Outs. I was 14 month old, having to rush for cover.... Where was Barack Obama???? Just a Twinkle in his Dads Eye... Now he wan'ts rule the world.. Worst of it is so do Hypochrits... You are suckers! Don't ask me.... Live another ten years Mr Black AmericaN

November 8, 2008 11:20 pm at 11:20 pm |
  8. thegoreyears

I have some land in Arizona for sale, if anybody is interested.

November 8, 2008 11:21 pm at 11:21 pm |
  9. jrq la habra Ca

This needs to be headlines so knowone pays for free tickets. Dang, I have never seen a President in person. And I guess I never will. But I have CNN (winks)

November 8, 2008 11:22 pm at 11:22 pm |
  10. View from under the bus

No, thank you! Can't afford it. Don't want to. Ain't nev'r gonna!

November 8, 2008 11:44 pm at 11:44 pm |
  11. robert

As Americans, we all saw two men who are on the same team play a scrimmage game. Both are playing for the USA both said they still are on the team. I am proud to be an AMERICAN and can't wait to see America excel.Go USA

November 9, 2008 12:26 am at 12:26 am |
  12. Bobby Christian

For all those who have a problem with PRESIDENT Obama. You must have a problem with yourselves this is a good man. If any of you talking about gay marriages it says in the bible that being gay is and abomination. Now how many people that believe in GOD will disagree

November 9, 2008 03:06 am at 3:06 am |
  13. Are you kidding me?

My tire went flat...I guess I can blame Obama for that...There was an accident on 8th street...I giesse I can blame Obama for that...Those that are sour and live in fear will find a way to tie everything to Obama...get over it!

November 9, 2008 09:18 pm at 9:18 pm |